jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Help! I'm a Protestant minister, and I've been asked by a Catholic friend to ble

1. profile image47
    johnrollerposted 8 years ago

Help! I'm a Protestant minister, and I've been asked by a Catholic friend to bless a St....

Christopher medal for him. Since my church doesn't bless medals and doesn't venerate saints, I have no idea how to go about doing this. Can someone steer me to a recommended formula for blessing a medal?

2. StandingGal profile image53
    StandingGalposted 8 years ago

Hi, it's good you have developed a friendship;it can give you a chance to share the specific truths and scriptures in God's word that show why we worship and pray the way we do. Jesus himself told us to pray to the Father in His name; In the name of Jesus. and scripture tells us to go boldly before the throne of grace for repentance, prayer, healing, and all our needs as you surely know. With God's wisdom you can gently explain why you wouldn't bless a medal or pray to a saint but you certainly can pray with and for your friend's needs and others. Because of your friendship he should be able to respect your position and honesty. Remember the truth sets us free; you may even lead your friend to accept Jesus as his personal Lord and saviour in a more personal way by being born again as Jesus instructs in John 3:3 - John 3:21, KJV. I pray God gives you all the wisdom and strength to share the truth in love and God Bless.

3. profile image0
    jcmmanuelposted 8 years ago

You could use any formulation that sounds like 'blessing an object'! There's no 'magic' to it, or at least I wouldn't want to see it that way. It's much like praying for the people who will wear the medal. I don't see how formalism would do the best job here.

4. writesketchbead profile image61
    writesketchbeadposted 8 years ago

This is a tough one because it can not be answered until you answer one question. Do you feel it is right or would even help to do so? I have deep concerns about encourageing people to rely on the grace of a human who has died rather than Christ and God. Christ states he is the only way to heaven and God wants a personal relationship with us. We should pray directly to Him and put our faith in His protection. The Saints have done amazing things that deserve our respect and their stories should guide us. But prayer and needs should not go through them.
    I understand little about blessing a medal but that is because I would much rather go straight to the source. But you obviosly have a deep love for your friend and a desire to be there to help him. How about calling a local Catholic church and speaking with the Priest. Ask your friend to bring the medal to the preist and allow you to accompany him. Explain the difference between the two churches, your stress over the appropriate method, but your desire to honor him. If there is anything to blessing a medal- it is better to be done by someone who honors that faith aspect of sainthood in the first place. It is better to have the full conviction of the one bestowing the blessing. Are you doing this simply to bring joy to your friend or because you believ it is a good practice? If I have learned one thing about God is that it is not the action but the intentions and faith. Please be careful. And seek a little more knowledge as to the purpose of the blessing and the belief in the Saints. Good luck.

5. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

It is my understanding that both of you are Christian, even though both are of different denominations, one Catholic, one Protestant.
    If you believe in the Holy Trinity, Father Son and Holy Spirit, then it is simple.
    Bless the object in the name of The Father, and in the name of The Son and in the name of The Holy Spirit,  nothing more, nothing less.
    This would be satisfactory for your Catholic friend, and should not offend you either.

6. Lady Rose profile image74
    Lady Roseposted 7 years ago

Dear God, please bless this medal and make it a positive influence in my friends life, in Jesus name. Amen

7. profile image0
    jdwritesposted 6 years ago

Try to keep in mind that blessings were doled out quite liberally by the Old Testament fathers. Abraham blessed Isaac, Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau, and Jacob offered blessings to each of his twelve sons.

I think that as long as you offer this blessing in a way that doesn't violate your conscience, you should be just fine.

8. celafoe profile image61
    celafoeposted 4 years ago

simple-- show him the scriptures pertaining to his request and tell him as a Christian you cannot do that as God says no.
    the bothersome thing about your question is that you do not know what to do and yet call yourself a minister.   Which shows you are not qualified to be one.   as a "minister" you should be better versed in scripture .   
    This is an example of a "minister of a church of men" and unfortunately not of Christ.    What your church does or does not do is not important, it is what does scripture say.
    I have to ask , are you born again and baptized according to scripture?

working