jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Which modern day country was referred to as Greece in Daniel chapter 8 verse 21?

1. micadeolu profile image49
    micadeoluposted 7 years ago

Which modern day country was referred to as Greece in Daniel chapter 8 verse 21?

2. yankeeintexas profile image60
    yankeeintexasposted 7 years ago

I am guessing Daniel 8:21 is referring to modern Greece. But, remember that Greece at the time was an Empire lead by Alexander the Great. The one horn on the goat is a representation of Alexander. As you read further into those scripures the horn will be cut off (meaning the death of Alexander the Great) and four new horns will grow in its place (meaning Alexanders four general will divid and rule Greece). It is a very interesting peice of history! I strongly encourage you to study the empires of that period as you read the Book of Daniel.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I would have to say Macedonia, as Daniel is well known to foretell the advent of Alexander's Greek dominance, and it's split into four separate pieces.. . . .Some of the Hebrews in Palestine at that time, were said to have showed Alexander's general, who took control of that territory, those prophecy, and thus wise the Hebrews got to keep their Judaism, and with much added respect from the provincial Ruler.

4. Man from Modesto profile image86
    Man from Modestoposted 7 years ago

When Daniel prophesied about "Grecia", the Greek peninsula yet consisted of individual city states: Corinth, Athens, Sparta, for example. Greece did not become unified fully until the Persian wars, about 80 years after Daniel prophesied about that war.

This prophecy was definitely fulfilled in the time of Alexander the Great.

Now, will it be fulfilled again? Perhaps! What has happened before will happen again.

In that case, I see no plausible interpretation that "Grecia" would refer to any other nation than Greece.