jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can drugs enhance meditation, or inhibit the experience?

1. keepitnatural profile image73
    keepitnaturalposted 7 years ago

Can drugs enhance meditation, or inhibit the experience?

2. msorensson profile image73
    msorenssonposted 7 years ago

I would normally not write anything I have never experienced but it is important so I will answer based on theoretical knowledge and on books. The experiences by Carlos Castaneda when he was training with Don Juan were done under the influence of peyote, and those of Ram Dass and Allan Watts with LSD.

The stimulation of memories when meditating under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs can be very dangerous. You can read about them from the books of Ram Dass.

Those of Carlos Castaneda were experienced with another person who could monitor him, Don Juan.

It would be better not to take anything for you empirically prove and experience that bliss can be experienced without any mind altering drugs.

3. profile image47
    Teddy Fanposted 7 years ago

What sort of drugs? Marijuana? Prescription drugs? Alcohol?

I always found pot made my mind wonder, so if your looking to stay focused I would avoid it.

4. keepitnatural profile image73
    keepitnaturalposted 7 years ago

Thanks, Teddy Fan, the drug I was wondering on is amphetamines?

5. John B Badd profile image60
    John B Baddposted 7 years ago

I read your response below.  I have never tried to meditate on amphetamines but it has been my experience that drugs inhibit the meditative experience.  Uppers make your mind race and do not really help you focus, marijuana inhibits focus and I could never achieve any successful level of meditation under its influence.  Listen to what msorensson says about hallucinogens, they can be used to transcend reality but without proper guidance they will more than likely just twist it.  Alcohol and caffeine both have negative affects on meditation in my experiences.
    For the best results I recommend getting a decent amount of sleep the night before and healthy exercise (especially cardio).  You do not want to be too hungry but hungry is better than stuffed for meditative purposes.  I find stretching before hand and listening to a steady shamanic drumbeat instead of a mantra gives me the best results, no drugs needed.

6. C.V.Rajan profile image79
    C.V.Rajanposted 7 years ago

Meditation is to calm down the mind and take you to a thoughtless state. It's real goal is spiritual bliss not anything less. What is needed to succeed in meditation is strength of mind. A mind seeking behind drugs is built on weakness.

working