jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is the book of Revelation correctly the last book in the bible?

1. proton66 profile image61
    proton66posted 7 years ago

Is the book of Revelation correctly the last book in the bible?

John wrote both the 4 gospels and the book of Revelation. Doesn't that say something about chronological order?

2. Barbara Kay profile image89
    Barbara Kayposted 7 years ago

Yes, it is the last book. John survived longer than the other apostles.  Now you've got me wondering about this. I'm going to check the date they think it was written.

3. profile image0
    DrDeanCrosbyposted 7 years ago

According to the Bible commentary I trust,the dates of John's writings are as follows:

Gospel:AD 26
    First,Second and Third Epistle's:AD 90
    Revelation:AD 96 which makes it quite appropriately the last book written for the New Testament, since it deals with future events,some of which will occur in the next few years.

4. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

There is no correct order.  It's just traditional.  The first Bible was assembled in the 4th century and the church made sure many other books weren't allowed to be part of the Bible and even destroyed some books they didn't like.

Books, as we know them, did not exist in those days.  They were scrolls.  Neither did paragraphs as we know them exist.  It was just one long piece of writing.

5. Blessitbe profile image61
    Blessitbeposted 7 years ago

I agree with DRDeanCrosby, I trust the dates of Johns writing. Rev AD 96, it deals with future events which our taking place in our time. Soon to come all things will be revealed and all eyes will be open even the no believers.

6. thequast profile image71
    thequastposted 7 years ago

Really not a whole lot in the Bible is Chronological.  The story of Job is believed by most to have occurred before the story of Abraham.  Most of the minor and major prophets were written during the books of 1 and 2 Kings.  Even the if you take the whole grouping of prophets as a section aren't in chronological order to each other.  The epistles aren't arranged in chronological order either.

I personally believe Revelation was the last book written, and I have some evidence for believing this, but then again I wasn't there with John on Patmos to know exactly when his book was written in regards to the others.  However chronology aside a believe it is placed last when all the canonical books were arranged because of its content.  The book is mostly prophecy of things that haven't happened yet.  So if you are looking at the New Testament as far as subject matter goes it makes more logical sense to our western minds to have it arranged with Jesus, then what the disciples did in Acts, the letters to the churches, and then what things are going to happen that haven't happened yet.