jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Would you call a person who believes in God but not religion Agnostic?

1. AshleyRB profile image58
    AshleyRBposted 7 years ago

Would you call a person who believes in God but not religion Agnostic?

2. Right On Time profile image61
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

No, Agnostic is someone who is undecided about the presence of God.

3. Beege215e profile image68
    Beege215eposted 7 years ago

A person who believes in God, but not religion is a Deist.
    I am a Deist.
    Religion is a man made concept, God has no religion. He made all of us, and He pretty much likes all of us, even though He may not like some of the things we do.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I think Beege215e knocked it out of the park and won the game here.  Who says that there is no joy in mudville?

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

A person who believes in God or a "Universal Mind" but does not believe in religion would be considered "Spiritual" in my opinion. Some others would call them "Non-denominational", meaning they don't practice any particular religion.

God made man and man made religion.
    Religion early on in many ways was similar to a form of government designed to keep society in check.

You don't need a church or middleman to have a relationship with god. One man's opinion!

6. japtaker profile image89
    japtakerposted 7 years ago

If I remember my philosophy professors correctly, I believe that "agnostic" is an epistemological term, referring not just to someone who is undecided about the existence of God, but to someone who believes that we have no way of knowing such a thing (hence, the issue of epistemology).

I've heard the term "Theistic Agnostic", which I've always taken to mean "someone who believe in a God but doesn't believe we can know too many specifics about Him/Her/It". That may be closer to what you're talking about.

7. Mayaanjali profile image81
    Mayaanjaliposted 7 years ago

By the dictionary meaning a person who doubts the presence of God is an agnostic.  If someone believes in God then they acknowledge the presence of a Superior energy that contols the working of the Universe.  They just do not like the strucured form of accepting a form put forth by a religious group.

working