jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the number of the beast? 666 or 616 ?

1. itsameanoldscene profile image59
    itsameanoldsceneposted 6 years ago

What is the number of the beast?

666 or 616 ?

2. Man from Modesto profile image86
    Man from Modestoposted 6 years ago

Actually, the correct answer may be: None.

The actual Greek John used may mean more than just six-hundred and sixty-six.

Each of the three Greek symbols is different than the other two. Yet, each is translated as a 6!

In fact, one of the symbols looks nearly exactly like the Arabic script for "Allah", rotated 90 degrees. Go to this site, and you can see the original document:

Codex Vaticanus
    http://www.csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_03
    Note: Click on #300 GA_03_0150b.jpg

Please visit the website link at the end of this message to see the ancient greek called Codex Vaticanus. When you click on the link, scroll down and click on #300 GA_03_0150b.jpg. Once the picture opens you will find a snap shot of the Revelation chapter 13 and part of chapter 14. Please click on the picture to zoom into the text. It will be easy to identify each verse as you zoom in because you will notice that each verse has a hand written number. You will find Revelation 13:18 to the far right of the picture. At the end of Revelation 13:18 you will see this "????".

3. HOOWANTSTONO profile image58
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 6 years ago

Another 666

Dan 3:1 Nebuchadnezzar the king made an image of gold, whose height was threescore cubits, and the breadth thereof six cubits: he set it up in the plain of Dura, in the province of Babylon.

Dan 3:5 That at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, ye fall down and worship the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king hath set up:

threescore cubits= 60
    six cubits = 6
    Musical instruments = 6
    All in the worship of the Image of the beast = 666

4. SPIRIT n TRUTH profile image63
    SPIRIT n TRUTHposted 6 years ago

The answer could be both. I'm sure you're asking because there are some manuscripts that have 666 and some that have 616. John is writing to a 1st century audience and tells them that they can calculate the number of the beast. Gematria is when you take letters and form a number system to whole numbers from names. The Hebrew translation of the name Neron Kaiser is numerically 666, but the Greek translation is Nero Caesar that numerically is 616. Another evidence that the beast in its original interpretation/application was Nero Caesar who persecuted the saints from the spring of 64 A.D. to the autumn of 67 A.D. about, or three and a half years, also spoken by John in the Book of Apocalypse/Revelation. This is all part of Apocalyptic literature's literary style. The point as well of the 666 is that man was created on the 6th day, therefore its like saying "man, man, man" or "me, me, me," selfishness, in other words. Grace and Peace.

working