jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How could a Roman Centurion be living in Capernaum, in Galilee? Galilee was rul

1. Chuck Sennewald profile image59
    Chuck Sennewaldposted 6 years ago

How could a Roman Centurion be living in Capernaum, in Galilee?  Galilee was ruled by Herod Antipas.

2. Brainy Bunny profile image95
    Brainy Bunnyposted 6 years ago

From 63 BCE until 6 CE, Judaea was a client kingdom of Rome, which meant that the king owed Rome tribute, and in return, Rome provided economic growth and some degree of protection. After 4 CE, Judaea became a full-fledged province of Rome, which meant an increased military presence and Roman governors. Hence, there would have been Roman soldiers there led by centurions, who were essentially non-comissioned officers in the Roman army.

3. Chuck Sennewald profile image59
    Chuck Sennewaldposted 6 years ago

Thanks Bunny.  I understand this, but perhaps my question is more profound, i.e. Pilate was specifically responsible for Judea, Herod Antipas had Perea, Decapolis and Galilee and the area north of that (but south of  Syria) was controlled by Antipas' brother Philip. As you'll recall, Pilate sent Jesus during the trial to Antipas because Jesus was a Galilean and Antipas had control of that region. Antipas had his own police and military.  I know Roman Legionares were stationed in Jerusalem and Caesarea but know of no information or source of a Roman Cohort being stationed in Capernaum.  Do you, by chance?

4. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

Chuck, this is a most profound question about one of my favorite stories.

It warms my heart that a Roman Centurion would love and respect Jesus as much as this.

About your question, I can only guess.

Could it be that even though Herod Antipas ruled, Rome felt the obligation to "assist?" Herod Antipas could have complained, but it is doubtful such complaints would've been given much weight.

Or could it be that, though the Centurion lived here, he was stationed elsewhere. This, of course, seems less likely. The commute to work wouldn't have been as easy or swift as it is these days.

Or perhaps the status of Herod Antipas wasn't that of absolute ruler of the region on behalf of Rome, but merely an administrative role with no "policing" responsibilities.

I wish you luck finding the true answer.

5. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 6 years ago

A Centurion was a commander.
    The Romans tied the Jews and those around them.
    The Romans infiltrated everyone close by.

Antipas ruled them as a client state of the Roman Empire
    Antipas played a role in events that led to the executions of John the Baptist and Jesus of Nazareth.

Paul was Jew but a Romans citizen and was allowed to persecute and murder people in their homes

6. John Z profile image73
    John Zposted 6 years ago

Hi Chuck,

Perhaps this web page will be of interest to you.  It seems to answer your question far better than I could.

http://www.bibarch.com/archaeologicalsi … ernaum.htm