jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What is meant by the "space between thoughts" in meditation?

1. Randy M. profile image87
    Randy M.posted 5 years ago

What is meant by the "space between thoughts" in meditation?

With practice, it is said that one develops an awareness of thought to the point where they experience open spaces between thoughts.  What is the nature of the space and its importance?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

If I knew the answer to that, you would have to give me the three bows.  I have discovered and am aware of the gap between each inhalation and exhalation.  I am guessing that the space you are referring to is that moment of quiet equinimity between the thoughts of the chatttering mind.

1. NiaLee profile image61
      NiaLeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

humble wise funny answer thnak you for sharing.

3. hvacunits profile image57
    hvacunitsposted 5 years ago

Can youi measure it?  If not, it is only speculation!  There is no true answer.

1. Randy M. profile image87
      Randy M.posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Not all of life is measured in units.  Science is not a religion, it is a tool.

4. diamondadvice profile image60
    diamondadviceposted 5 years ago

When you first begin meditating most people are overly concerned with their thoughts, sitting for any length of time, and worrying if they are "doing it right". However, after you develop your practice, you realize that meditation is as natural as sleeping or eating.

There are many types or ways to meditate with various different techniques employed to help calm the mind. However the end goal is always the same...to get into a state of non-thought, or rather to slow your thoughts down and just be. This is what is meant by the space between thoughts. It is awareness.

It is important because depending on your belief structure, meditation helps in realizing that we are not our thoughts, but rather a consciousness that sits behind the thought. Eckhart Tolle talks a lot about this in his book, "The Power of Now".

Great question and hope this helps. smile

working