What is a Bar Mitzvah?

1. Longtail profile image68
    Longtailposted 5 years ago

What is a Bar Mitzvah?

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image61
    Shahid Bukhariposted 5 years ago

I know its got something to do with the coming of age in Jewish tradition ... but hold on ... let me look it up in the dictionary for you ...

"Hebrew Law.
    Also spelled, bar miz'vah ... meaning, [Lit.] son of command. 1. A boy who has completed his thirteenth year, the age of responsibility and religious duty. 2. The ceremony of recognizing one as such a person."

Thus, essentially a "Ceremony" where the boy is Congratulated, and as things go in ceremonies, people attending the Ceremony, being served Unleavened Bread and Kosher food ... but I am not sure about these two food items ... so you will have to look up these and other details, in Wikipedia.

By the way, who reads the newspaper for you at home ?

3. Theologian profile image73
    Theologianposted 5 years ago

The Bar Mitzvah is a widely observed Jewish religious celebration, marks the religious adulthood of a boy on his thirteenth birthday.

At the synagogue ceremony, which usually takes place on the following sabbath, the boy is called up to read a text from the prophets called Haftarah. He is now deemed personally responsible for fulfilling all of the commandments and from this time on may wear phylacteries (religious symbols worn on the forehead and left arm) during weekday morning prayers and may be counted an adult whenever ten males are needed to form a quorum for prayers.