Why Atheists?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (34 posts)
  1. TheLifeExperiment profile image58
    TheLifeExperimentposted 11 years ago

Why Atheists?

Even Atheists who don't talk about religion or God are frowned upon by Christians. For example, I once said "Oh my God" and was then told I was going to Hell. Why are so many Christians resentful towards Atheists? (again, I'm talking about Atheists who don't always try to disprove religion).

2. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

I frequently use 'god' in similar phrases. Saying 'oh my god' when something bad happens, or 'thank god' when something good happens, are more so general expressions than they are religious associations. At least, that's how I look at it. It would be the same as saying 'shoot' or 'oh good'. We've just heard them used so much that they come out without taking the time to think about what they might mean to someone else.

But, it's always been my assumption that some Christians (not all of them) are resentful towards atheists because they interpret their belief as a direct attack. They think that atheists find them stupid or misinformed, so their mere presence is a disease trying to intrude on their faith bubble. The most damaging aspect between atheists and Christians, however, is the extremists from both parties. Those crazy people in the lawn chairs shouting at people on the street are, unfortunately, the most vocal in their groups, so we tend to unfairly associate them with those select few crazies. It's true of both Christians and atheists. If you got two sensible people from each side to sit down and talk about life, they probably wouldn't resent each other afterwards.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

I think you are generalizing and I'm not sure that your premise is correct. Please bear in mind that "Christians" come in all shapes, sizes and forms...not all who profess to be Christians really are....but at the same time it is important to realize that Christians are not perfect - no one is. They are merely "saved" from eternal damnation. Because of the broad interpretation of the term, "Christian," many of us prefer to say we are "followers of Christ" rather than Christians. Christ said to follow Him, not other Christians, so please do not base your opinion of Christianity and Christ on your observations of some who call themselves Christians.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why voted this answer down and why?

2. TheLifeExperiment profile image58
      TheLifeExperimentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't, but I can see why someone might...why does it matter? Its just someone with a differing opinion.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59

As a professional educator and someone with a religion of positive reinforcement training, I see things differently. I encourage and appreciate participation, rather than discourage it by punishment (and I use that word as used in behavior science).

4. TheLifeExperiment profile image58

Ok..well I guess the reason I disagree (but didn't vote down) is that every christian I've met, no matter how good/bad a person they actually were, said THEY were the true christian. So I disagree with religion as a whole, not religious people.

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59

I disagree with religion too - so did Jesus. Nobody is "good" except God. We all fall short. And not everyone who calls him or herself a Christian is - only God knows a person's heart.

6. ercramer36 profile image92
      ercramer36posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree religion is useless.  It is man's attempt to get to God.  Jesus wants a relationship with us.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

i think it is because we have more free will then believers do . we believe what we want, when we want and we take responsibility for the good and bad in our lives. when an atheist does something good or bad we don't say god helped us or satan caused it, hence free will and real freedom. also using a believers beliefs as a way of expressing something is bad because it's like we are using something they feel they own.

5. ercramer36 profile image92
    ercramer36posted 11 years ago

Using "oh my God" or "Jesus Christ" or "God "D**nit" is offensive to Christians because it takes God's holy name in vein, which violates God's law.  According to the Bible we are ALL guilty of breaking God's law, not just this group or that. That is why Jesus died for our sins because we cannot save ourselves.

I apologize for the Christians that have acted resentful towards you.  I believe that Christians should try and convince atheists and everyone else to come to Christ, but that actions speak much louder than words.  We as Christians need to be loving and live out our faith and use words when necessary.

1. ercramer36 profile image92

Christianity teaches that we are judges by God's standard.  Christianity is not sad, but amazing! God loved us enough to die in our place, that it good news. If I am right, u are in trouble, if u are right, then we both live our lifes the way we want

6. TheLifeExperiment profile image58
    TheLifeExperimentposted 11 years ago

ercramer36- I have to say, that sounds pretty sad. Not pathetic sad, just sad. It sounds like religion (or at least christianity) teaches you that you are a sinner/bad person, and you can't change for the better, only accepting Jesus can. See, that's offensive to non-christians, much more offensive than using "oh my God" (we don't say in in vain, we just say it as an exclamation). Christians have told me that I'm going to hell for not believing in Jesus or God or whatever, despite the fact that I don't do drugs, don't go around having sex all the time, don't drink, am a good student, volunteered at an animal shelter for over 4 years, and am generally a nice person. I obviously don't believe in hell, so its not a great insult, but it sucks to be told that you're basically a terrible person for not being a part of your club.

As for your point about trying to convince atheists to "come to christ", I also disagree. Can't you be content that you are a christian and that others aren't? Being an atheist, for most people, is incredibly fulfilling. We believe that we are who we are, and we can always be better people without thinking of someone we've never met as our savior. Its a happy life, not horrible like many christians believe. I'd be interested in hearing about the "actions speak louder than words" thing- how do you try to push people towards christianity with actions?

1. ercramer36 profile image92

God's word says one sin is enough to send you to hell.  An example of a sin would be telling a lie, stealing, having lust for someone other than your spouse, dishonoring your parents, blaspheming God's name, having other gods before him etc.

2. TheLifeExperiment profile image58

So in that case, every single person in the world is going to hell? Everyone's told a lie at some point.

3. ercramer36 profile image92

Too little space:)  Every person that does not accept Jesus as their savior snd who has heard about him will be sent to hell at the last judgment.  If people have never heard about Jesus, that I leave to the sovereignty of God. Little kids are dffrnt

4. TheLifeExperiment profile image58

So: 1) I am aware of Jesus. 2) I've told a lie. 3) I don't accept Jesus as my savior. 4) I am in every other sense a good person. Do I belong in Hell?

5. ercramer36 profile image92

If you were standing before a judge and admitted to lying, are they going to say oh that is okay or punish you gor lying in court?  A good judge will punish you.  God is a good judge andhis holiness requires him to act justly toward sin.

6. TheLifeExperiment profile image58

I'm sorry, I don't think you answered my question: do you think I belong in hell for lying once? Lying about murder is one thing, lying about something trivial is another.

7. ercramer36 profile image92

I am sure you are a good person in general and in the eyes of the world. The problem is we have all violated God's law and deserve to be sent to hell.  One sin is enough to condemn you to hell.  That is why Jesus came.

8. TheLifeExperiment profile image58

So your answer is yes? You do realize what hell is? Eternal torture. Youre saying everyone deserves that?

9. ercramer36 profile image92

I am not saying it, God is. "For thw wages of sin is death (hell), but the gift of God is eternal life.   God is totally just and cannot toletate sin.  He sent Jesus as a perfect sacrifice.  All we have to do for is place our trust in him.

10. TheLifeExperiment profile image58

I don't understand how you can worship a god that would throw you into the depths of hell for doing 1 sort of bad thing. How can you look up to that kind of hatred? How can you live in fear that you will deserve eternal torture for being human?

11. ercramer36 profile image92

Because He loves me and everyone else enough to leave heaven, come to earth and die for our sins.  If He was a God of hatred, Jesus would never have come.  He would rather die than to be without us and he did so we can goto heaven.

12. TheLifeExperiment profile image58

So that's nice. But if we say our favorite color is blue when really its purple, which is a lie, he says "screw dying for your sins, you deserve to rot in hell with Hitler".

13. ercramer36 profile image92

No, God cannot lie. He died once for all of our sins.  He offers salvation all we have to do is accept him and he will wipe our slate clean past, present, and future.

14. TheLifeExperiment profile image58

So if a mass murderer becomes Christian and says he's sorry for killing people, and an atheist tells one lie, who gets the sympathy from God?

15. ercramer36 profile image92

Fo one, throughout our lives we violate God's laws much more frequently than once, but to answer your question is the person who has Jesus as their savior finds grace.  Basically it comes down to do you accept or reject Jesus.  That is the question.

16. TheLifeExperiment profile image58

So how is that fair? Is a Christian that has sinned many more times than an Atheist better? Why does believing in God give you a get out of jail free card?

17. ercramer36 profile image92

God uses his law to show us our need for a savior.  The best person alive is is not close to reaching God's standard of perfection. We all fall short.  Salvation is an act of mercy and grace by God because of his love.

18. TheLifeExperiment profile image58

Um, that sucks. I don't feel like an underling. I'm sorry if you do. You might enjoy this, its based off our lil' conversation: http://thelifeexperiment.hubpages.com/h … gious-Blog

19. ercramer36 profile image92

Well thought out arguments.  Good hub, even if I do not agree with you.

7. Kennedi Brown profile image80
    Kennedi Brownposted 11 years ago

I've always thought it was because Christians tend to think of their beliefs as who they are, or rather the essence of their very person, instead of simply what they believe. Atheists, on the other hand, think of their beliefs (or lack therof) as simply that---a matter of belief or non-belief.

In other words, when someone says to me, "I am a Christian." I'm always like, "Oh, cool. Could you pass the salt?". To me it's a matter of what they believe, nothing more. The type of person they are is never even brought into play.

But when you say to a Christian (the more vocal and dedicated ones, at least), "I am an atheist." they don't take that to mean, "I just don't believe in God." but rather, "I am against you and everything you stand for." It isn't really anything but a difference in priorities--one person considers beliefs the same as the very essence of being, and the other person considers beliefs as merely a set of ideologies. I usually just say that I'm not a very religious person so that no one falsely believes that I'm trying to attack them.

The misconception often comes up that atheists hate God, when in reality hating God for an atheist has about as much point to it as waging war against the tooth fairy. Sure, there are plenty of atheists who do seem to have a war waged on faith, but those are usually the recently converted ones who still have not yet separated "I believe" from "I am." The entire universe is a much more beautiful place one you're able to do that.

8. profile image0
    Darkmetalyposted 11 years ago

I really think some Christians and Atheists need to mind their own business and focus on there own belief or non belief rather then focusing on what the other guy believes in or not. In my country most people keep there religion or non belief to them self's. I don´t care if my neighbor believes in a god or not and he does not care about me being an atheist. Nobody i have met in my country has showed anger or any negative feelings towards me for being an atheist cause they don´t care and I don´t care its that simple and I hope it stays that way forever.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)