jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Does time have a start and a finish?

1. lou2212 profile image69
    lou2212posted 5 years ago

Does time have a start and a finish?

2. Simba73 profile image74
    Simba73posted 5 years ago

I don't know about a start and finish but I do know time has a cruel and spiteful nature.
    For example if your waiting it slows down to a painful almost backwards flow
    And if you need time to last it laughs at you and goes into hyper-drive.

3. naeemebrahimjee profile image76
    naeemebrahimjeeposted 5 years ago

Depends if you believe in the big bang!

If you do you could say time started then. Again scientists also say that one day the universe will collapse. This is when time would end.

At least in our reality, and what we can observe.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

Time really only exists as a measurement of the progression of events. For example, how long it takes the Earth to orbit around the sun. If these things didn't exist as measurements, then there would be nothing to suggest time was passing at all. You could then make the argument that time has no beginning or end, only the beginning and ending of things that can measure it.

5. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 5 years ago

This is one of the hardest questions for me to answer.  My mind works like this, if time has a beginning, then what was there before that...and before that...and so on, until you try to go back so far that you conclude that there is no beginning. 

If you believe in Big Bang Theory, then what was there before the Big Bang?
    If you believe in God, then what was there before God?

If I asked what was there 100z zillion years ago who could provide that answer? Then lets say that we found the answer then next question would be what happened 100 zillion years before that, and we would go on and on forever. 

Same thing for the end.

So I conclude that time has no beginning or no ending in absolute terms.  Time only really matters here and now.

Best wishes.

1. lou2212 profile image69
      lou2212posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thats exactly how I think! Nice to see that im not the only one smile