jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Who is a real atheist?

1. Iamsam profile image82
    Iamsamposted 5 years ago

Who is a real atheist?

2. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

what would a real atheist be? if you mean who honestly doesn't believe in god, then i'm betting it is a lot of people and many of them claim to be believers of some god.

1. cjhunsinger profile image72
      cjhunsingerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What Atheism Is

Atheism is---accepting life, as the ultimate of human existence.

Atheism is---understanding that the purpose for life, your life, is defined by you.

Atheism is---an awakening, a sense, a feeling of life. It is the reasoned knowledg

3. Brandon Tart profile image59
    Brandon Tartposted 5 years ago

If God is, then how  could he believe in Himself? I wonder about that, then wonder about man. Man, who knows little to the effect of getting closer to peace, which one would assume God has to Himself - said "peace."
    How can one know all things, and yet, have room for belief, even if it is belief in one's self?

After which, I ask, how can humans who know very little believe in his or her self? That is, knowing that being human means being subject to failure.  Is it then, belief in one's self that leads us to achieve great things, or knowing our weaknesses that lead us to humility, which allows others to believe in us; the effect being that great things occur because of others believing in what that mortal demonstrates? Finally, people follow that person since the individual is believed in... representative of other's great faith in him or her.

Back to God knowing all, and wondering whether God believes in Himself. The statement "believe in one's self" is a motivator we say to others due to our being subject to doubts. I don't think God believes in Himself.  God is a real atheist, then, by that rationale. God would know himself. If someone knows that God is, then, and only then can he be a "real atheist," because one can only turn away from something.  Ideas never go away, and that is their real power:  their real stronghold over all mortals.  God, as far as knowledge is concerned, remains to believers and not, more of a great idea. Why turn away from an idea?

God could only know all, including Himself, so belief would be a non-sequitur.  A real atheist cannot be something with limited knowledge.  As many atheists as I am friends with, thankfully they are the peaceful and understanding sort of folk.  Each of them, as intellectual as they all are, are quite humble, and admit that neither the believer nor the atheist is any farther from knowing one way or the other. The doubter in me loves this statement from the Bible...

"Be still, and know that I am God."  "Really", I always ask - KNOW? Well, what would that make of any man or woman that knows that God is, accept for someone for whom being a real atheist, could potentially become their reality? I know Mitt Romney is real, but I don't believe a word he says. So I don't have faith in the man.  Not to say that I believe Barack either, but I'll take my chances being still, if you follow me.

I have more faith in The Big Idea than in these. Each may believe in God, but each may know that God is...like Satan.

working