jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What is the meaning of the verse, "the Lord works in mysterious ways"?

1. ngureco profile image85
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

What is the meaning of the verse, "the Lord works in mysterious ways"?

2. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

Simply put: The Almighty can do anything He wants...whenever He wants and His abilities are endless. He works in mysterious ways, because we cannot watch Him working behind the scenes nor can we comprehend His ways. We can see the results of something that He has done, but can we really comprehend His magnificence? No, therefore He works in mysterious ways (at least it's mysterious to us).

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think I should mention that I interpreted this question to mean a "verse" in a general sense...not in a Biblical sense. I did not come to the conclusion that our host implied this was a Biblical reference.

3. multiculturalsoul profile image83
    multiculturalsoulposted 5 years ago

Well, first of all, it isn't a verse in the Bible. It's from a poem by William Cowper (1731-1800):

“God works in a mysterious way / His wonders to perform;"

I suppose folks have heard it so often that they assumed it was in the Bible.

1. jaydene profile image71
      jaydeneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nice to know where the origin of this saying is from .  I Love poetry from that time frame.  I may even look him up.  thanks for the info  smile

4. heartstrings profile image61
    heartstringsposted 5 years ago

We can say that God works in mysterious ways because we never know what is his plan for us. We may not understand his will or his works but one thing is for sure, it is way greater than what we ask from him. It is all part of his plans for us.

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well done, Alou Mae, well done indeed. :0)

5. CertifiedHandy profile image80
    CertifiedHandyposted 5 years ago

William Cowper was the author of a song entitled "God Moves in a Mysterious Way. This is an axiom, not a Biblical statement or verse.

working