jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How many cycles do you personally need to go through before you truly learn?

1. ubiedropout profile image59
    ubiedropoutposted 5 years ago

How many cycles do you personally need to go through before you truly learn?

2. DreamerMeg profile image90
    DreamerMegposted 5 years ago

It really depends on what needs to be learned and also your age. About 10 years ago, I started learning Modern Greek for a holiday in Greece. I did quite well and reached maybe slightly above "survival" level. I could hold a short conversation about family, ask my way and understand the answer and go into a shop and purchase things by asking for them. People also understood what I was saying. Without constant practice though, that level of understanding has dropped and I need to go through a similar (though shorter) cycle of learning to get back up to that level. On the other hand, I did French in school and reckon I still remember about 80% of what I learned then, even though I didn't have the interest that I displayed with learning Greek. I also calculated that I spent roughly equal amounts of time learning French and learning Greek but at vastly different ages. I may not be as fluent at speaking and understanding French but my reading and writing level are not too bad, so your age also has an effect.

I am also doing advanced studies. I find some of the things I am learning are real "eye openers", the kind of thing you say, "I only wish I had known about that years ago". Those types of thing need only 1 cycle of learning to understand and apply, though I might read over them several times to make sure I am applying them correctly. So, even though i am a lot older, there are still some things that i can learn quickly.

3. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

Your question seems to me to be regarding carnations. I suppose that learning how to live is like learning Greek. For some of us in certain ways it is fast, for others not so.
    Perhaps your question is better phrased "how many cycles do you personally need to go through before you are truly are ready to learn?"

4. profile image0
    athurionposted 5 years ago

It depends on how open minded a person is.