The 2008 NY Mets Season of Redemption

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (64 posts)
  1. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

Now I know that writing this will how some jinxing effect but...

The Mets have won 6 in a row and are just a 1.5 GB of Philly.

Does anyone else think firing Willie Randolph was a good idea? 

They look like they are having fun for the first time since Yadier Molina ended our season in Game 7 of the NLCS.   

I was in the bahamas on my honeymoon when that happened, btw.

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think what the Met's did to Willie Randolph was just wrong and they got what they deserve. Somehow the Mets always find a way to lose! In this case perhaps it was Karma!

2. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Personally I don't like the Mets, but yeah, I think firing him was a good idea.

3. Bruce Bostwick profile image70
    Bruce Bostwickposted 15 years ago

The move I would say helped the Mets but earlier in the season I had the Phillies winning the NL East.  At the most, I could have seen the Wild Card.  It's going to be a tough race for the Mets because the Wild Card may come out of the NL Central.

DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's what we all thought but after 7 wins in a row we are now only 2.5 out of the wild card!  And who's ahead of us?   St. Louis (who will never be able to keep this up) and Milwaukee (who have very little experience in pennant races) and Florida (who have no starting pitching at all, but boy can they hit!) 

It's not even the All-Star break yet.

Anything can happen...
      Rumors around Shea stadium today are about the visiting Rockies and the possible acquisition of Matt Holiday & Brian Fuentes.

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My son and I are heading to Cincinatti on the 20th to watch the Reds and Mets play. Will let you know how it goes later. He is a Mets fan by the way. I just don't know why, but it's fine with me. I'm just glad he loves baseball.

http://z.hubpages.com/u/415007_f520.jpg

1. Bruce Bostwick profile image70
          Bruce Bostwickposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Have a good time over there.  I've never been to a Cincinatti game at all.  I went to a ball game before 8 years ago at Jacobs Field (I like tha name a lot more than Progressive Field).  It was pretty cool.  Being at a ball game is cool.

4. DJ Funktual profile image76

Great photo!   he likes em cause we're the Amazin's. 

The Miracle Mets. Formed in '62 and won it all in '69! 

Everybody loves david Wright though.  Even Yankee fans do.  He's OUR Jeter!

5. elisabeth reid profile image66
    elisabeth reidposted 15 years ago

Have fun!  There's absolutely nothing like going to the ball park.  One day I want to get to Wrigley and sit in the bleachers.  Right now we go up to Coors Field once a year (when the Cubs come to town) and we've got a Triple-A affiliate in town (we went last Saturday night...helluva good time).  Even if you don't like baseball, an afternoon at the ball park is fun. 

But if you're a fan -- even a fair-weather fan -- there's nothing better than to walk into the park and see it all just open up in front of you -- the colors and the smells and the sounds. 

*sigh*

Hmmmm...Sky Sox are in town and tomorrow's a day game....

Possibilities.

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 15 years ago

Personally, I am a big fan of little league baseball. The children play for fun and not for obscene amounts of money. It is a game to them meant to be played.

My son's name is Jacob by the way and he's a catcher because he loves the position so much. He is about to break out as a great little league pitcher lately.

7. elisabeth reid profile image66

I've got two boys playing right now and one of their older brothers is coaching.  Both boys pitch (different divisions)...one likes third and one likes first if they're not on the mound.  It's TONS of fun watching them play for pure joy of the game.  Then, when they come home, they'll go out back together and work. 

One thing I've noticed watching my boys play through Park and Rec, Little League, high school and then watching Triple-A and MLB games is the variety of people that come to the ballpark.  And it doesn't matter whether they're young or old or hip-hop or metal or punk or country or republican or democrat or conservative or liberal or black, white, brown, red, green or yellow...the expression of delight on the faces -- the smiles that light the eyes -- when someone catches a foul ball or someone turns a pretty double-play or they're watching the arc of the ball against the sky...

the divisiveness seems to melt away in the moment.

Have I mentioned how much I love baseball?

1. profile image0

A fan is a fan is a fan no matter what lifestyle, dress code or religion they adhere to. They love baseball because they love baseball.

What a great Point Ms. Allman! 

Oh and it's up to 8 wins in a row and .5 game back of Philly!

1. elisabeth reid profile image66
          elisabeth reidposted 15 years agoin reply to this

They're gettin' there.  They oughta win tomorrow, too.  Redman's starting for the Rox and the Rox (hell, the whole NL West) is struggling.  I think the Rox have more Sky Sox players starting these days than Rockies.

My Cubbies, on the other hand...well....I ain't gonna say.  Just big_smile

Today was rough, though.  Maybe, just maybe, Marmol was able to work through whatever it is that's been going on with him lately.

8. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

I see that they have improved.  I guess Randolph must have been the problem because of how the team didn't respond to him and now they respond to their new guy Jerry Manuel.

9. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 15 years ago

Almost every time a coach is fired, a team will pick it up for a bit.  The key is if they can sustain it.

That's true but, be honest.  You expected a lot more from the Amazin's this year especially with the addition of Johan Santana to replace Glavine.

10. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

I know the media did and put a lot of hype on the Mets.  That got me annoyed to be perfectly honest.  I guess we will see what happens in the 2nd half of the season.  The NL East could come down to the very last game of the season.  I know Johan Santana is a solid pitcher.  I remember seeing him pitch for the Twins.

11. DJ Funktual profile image76

Well, we missed the WS by a game two years ago, and if not for the collapse they moved have given the Rockies a much harder time last year. 

Adding Santana would not seem to be media hype.  Ryan Church's injuries are scary.   Guy's having a career year, he's a solid teammate and BOOM 2 concussions in one season.   God knows when Alou is coming back so i expect the Mets will deal Aaron Heilman, and a youngster for somebody.   Jason Bay?   Matt Holliday?

Who is else is predicted to be on the market?  Seattle's whole team, Giants too.

Lincecum would be an asset to anyone -- he's probably untouchable, though.  Reds are probably going to be putting players on the block, too.  Again, Volquez is probably gonna be untouchable.  Holliday is probably on the block and he's solid -- he's about all the Rox have left, though.  Pirates are usually willing to trade.  Cubbies got a great deal from them when we got Ramirez.  Nothing's ever set in stone, but I'm thinking the Cubs might be done wheeling and dealing unless they can get a good pitcher without giving up too much.  Fat chance of that happening, though.

Kenny Lofton is still out there, I think; the perennial journeyman player who usually comes in pretty handy when it comes to getting a team over the hump.

i would love to have Adam Dunn but his OBP is atrocious.  K machine.

The bigger the slugging %, the worse the OBP usually is.  It's a calculated risk.  I've even heard that Griffey's an option -- as far as I know, Volquez is about the only player they won't even talk about.

Personally, if I were managing, I'd take a solid bullpen pitcher over a lights-out starter and I'd take a consistent hitter with some speed over a slugger.  Seems to work out better over time.

12. profile image0
    SirDentposted 15 years ago

Sunday is the big day. Will be watching the Mets meet the Reds. big_smile

13. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

The thing about Griffey and I really hate to say this but can he stay healthy?  Since that move to the Reds, he was on the DL quite a bit.  That's not going to help anyone at all when you have a player who is on the DL a lot.  He's got the injury-prone label placed on him.

14. elisabeth reid profile image66

He's not going to help anyone.  Not really.  He'll be a ticket draw, but when it comes to winning ball games, not so much.  He's a good guy and I like him and all -- but I wouldn't want the Cubs to deal for him.  You're right -- he is injury-prone and his 600 HR mark doesn't make up for it.  His production's going to diminish from this point, I think.

Although, given a choice between Griffey and Bonds (whose name still comes up every three days when possible deals are discussed by the pundits), it's not even a contest -- I'd take Griffey every time.  Hell, I'd take anyone before I'd take Bonds.

I wish someone would sign Lofton.

15. DJ Funktual profile image76

elisabeth loves Lofton nya nya ne nya nya.  j/k

I just came over to say that I'll be here if anyone wants to talk about the 10 game winning streak, tying Philly for 1st place etc.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-2008-New-Yo … ated-Daily

1. profile image0

10 game streaks are hard these days. Think they can win through Sunday?

2. elisabeth reid profile image66

Isn't 10 games the longest streak by anyone so far this season?  My Cubbies went 9 but fell short of the 10th.

And yeah...I like Lofton.  He made a huge difference back in 2003 and look at what he did for Cleveland last year.  He's not flashy but he's solid, he's consistent, he's fast and he's got experience.  He's too good to sit.

Where is he wasting away sitting?.  i thought before you were implying he had no contract with anyone.  Languishing like Bonds, Sosa if you will. 

Adios to Hideo Nomo who retired today!   

A no-hitter in both leagues makes him special and imagine what we'd be saying if he had been a true rookie in the bigs?  He'd be himself now plus Fernando Valenzuela put together.

We'll never know how great he truly was.   

Re: your Q
        It ties a 10 game streak by the Twins as the longest this year.   
        3 Mets teams have made it to 11 which is the franchise record.

16. elisabeth reid profile image66

He is unsigned.  That's what boggles my mind.  The Reds were interested in him at one point but then they signed Corey Patterson.

I saw that Nomo retired.  I have to confess, it wasn't unexpected, though.  Oh, and Liriano's having a snit in Triple-A because he hasn't gotten called back up.

Keep in mind about Lofton.  Some guy sare only useful WHEN THEY GET PLAYING TIME.   As soon as he lost at bats in the bronx he got ugly and his walking papers came soon after.   Not saying he isn't good.  But how is he gonna help a team with good chemistry?  He's not.  Like you said though, he has always been a winner. 

MAYBE?  JUST MAYBE? 
      He's older and smarter now and remaining unsigned and staying healthy because he doesn't want to join a team that MIGHT make the playoffs.  he wants a sure thing and he wants $$$ for his services.   MAYBE.

Corey Patterson'll never live up to that hype.   Liriano?  I don't blame him.  If he's healthy he'll traded with that brief resume, somebody'll bite.

17. elisabeth reid profile image66

OH!  And the Yankees signed Richie Sexson.

he's past his prime by a lot.  Giambi II.

18. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

I gotta give the Mets credit for stepping up.  They've won 10 in a row and have pulled into a tie for the division lead.  I didn't think this team had it in them but it looks like they got something going.

I just became your first fan!

19. funnebone profile image72
    funneboneposted 15 years ago

Tic Tic Tic....( that is the Mets late season time bomb)

Hater alert!  Hater Alert!   

It's the Season of Redemption!   not Repetition.

The Tic Toc you here is the countdown to me leaving Florida to go home to New York.

20. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

I don't know if I'd say if this team is going to self-destruct like they did last season.  We've seen some strange things happening this baseball season.  The NL East I think may come down to the final game of the season as it's going to be close.

they are pretty evenly matched with us having much better pitching and them having a steadier lineup since we lost Alou & Church.

21. funnebone profile image72

I am more worried about Florida than the Metrosexuals. Florida kills us every year.

22. funnebone profile image72

"Reds 7, Mets 2
    Pérez and Mets Eventually Start a New Streak, and It’s a Losing One "
    NYT

23. funnebone profile image72

Where was the gay joke?  And did you really just reach back to the playoffs?

Why yes I did.  Too soon?

When is the right time to address that we handed you guys a playoff spot that should have given you optimum momentum and then you didn't bother to show up?   
      Swept away in 3 games. 

When is the right time to examine that?  Let me know.   

At least the year before we got knocked out in the 9th inning of game seven of the NLCS against Dave Duncan's Cards, the finest pitching coach in the game.

24. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

Just saw the Mets won the game.  It's going to be close and I think when they play the Phillies, it may determine who gets the division for sure.  Then again, maybe not but just a wild guess.

25. DJ Funktual profile image76

It's an hour before game time and I'm freakin out.    <Sigh>   Okay..let's go!

26. DJ Funktual profile image76

METS DOMINATE SERIES!    With the notable exception of 9th inning meltdown by the closerless bullpen in GAME 1, The NY Mets have gained solo control of 1st Place in the NL East.  Hell yeah! 

From Newsday!
    How unconscious is Delgado?
    He's batting .397 with five home runs and 16 RBIs in July.
    He has taken hold of the cleanup spot again.
    Twenty-one of his last 41 hits have been for extra bases.

27. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

They're playing with passion and desire.  This is going to be a very interesting NL East race to say the least.

28. DJ Funktual profile image76

The New York Mets are out to avenge last season's collapse and give Shea Stadium the going-out party it deserves with one more World Championship!  (69-86-08)

Update 8/15
    With a sweep of the Nationals, the Mets have taken a one game lead over Philadelphia who were swept over four games in LA.

29. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

The Nationals team is so bad a Triple A team could mop the floor with them.

The Mets right now got command of the division and I think it's going to come down to them and the Phillies.  It's going to be close and hope to see some excitment.

30. DJ Funktual profile image76

6 Wins in a row against Nats & Pitt which is necessary.

31. DJ Funktual profile image76

Oh how i love sweeping the Braves in their last visit to Shea Stadium!

32. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

The Mets have been on a very strong roll.  It's going to be a nail biter and that's actually a good thing.  They have to win the division or they won't make it.  The Brewers are just at this moment too strong of a Wild Card team.

33. DJ Funktual profile image76

Seriously, how many of you were laughing when I posted this thread?

We haven't won anything yet but at least we got our head out of our ass long enough to get respect from the league again.   Let's go Mets!

34. DJ Funktual profile image76

Beltran's Grand Slam was rediculous!

35. DJ Funktual profile image76

I guess no one else is excited for the showdown at Shea this weekend?

36. DJ Funktual profile image76

DEL-GA-DO!
    M.............V..............P........?????

37. elisabeth reid profile image66

Depends on where the Mets finish.  I'm bettin' Soto gets Rookie of the Year, though. 

Of course, last year I'd have put money on Tulowitzki to get it and I missed that one, so what do I know?

(Soto, Soto, Soto, Soto)

Personally, I'm slowly going insane over here.

Okay...maybe not so slowly.

yikesP

38. DJ Funktual profile image76

The New York Mets are going to buckle down tomorrow and remember who they are!!

LET'S GO METS!

Jose REYES - patience, my friend let your talent do it!  They fear you the most!
    Daniel MURPHY - rook, you have proven quite capable at this level!  Now, elevate it!
    David WRIGHT - Stick wih your Game Plan & stop striking out!  You're better than that!
    Carlos DELGADO - ...................ssshhh..............stay away from him! He's on fire!
    Carlos BELTRAN - a/k/a the key!  You will be a hero forever!  Hang in There and smile!
    Ryan CHURCH - you are solid as a rock.  Make yourself an Amazing MET at Shea!
    Luis CASTILLO - we don't dislike you, we just don't trust you!  Be a MET for once...
    Brian SCHNEIDER - the secret weapon!  I see doubles in the corner in your future!
    Pedro MARTINEZ - All is forgotten if you just pull one out for us!  WIN!  You can do it! 
    Bullpen - (Cue: The Jackson Sisters) I Believe in Miracles baby! I believe in You!

SHEA STADIUM DESERVES A FAREWELL PARTY!!   
    The magical ghosts of the past are rising from the ashes!

WIN WIN WIN WIN!

39. DJ Funktual profile image76

LET'S GO METS!!  let's go METS!!!  let's go METS!!

40. DJ Funktual profile image76

Beltran!  Big win!

41. elisabeth reid profile image66

Tomorrow might be the big day.

I've gotta confess, when we were at Shea earlier this week, I truly felt badly.  Heh..imagine feeling guilty about winning a game.  It's just that I know what those Mets fans are going through all too well.

Boy, do I know.  Talk about empathy -- I've got a ton of it.  Cubs did their part today and beat Milwaukee, though.  See?  We're helpin' after all.

42. DJ Funktual profile image76

Well, here we are.  the final day at Shea Stadium! 

LET'S GO METS!

Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Piazza, Darryl Strawberry, Buddy Harrelson, Edgardo Alfonzo,  John Stearns, Lenny Dykstra, Ed Kranepool all in the house

43. funnebone profile image72

http://zembla.cementhorizon.com/archives/p1_phanatic.jpg

Let's see if you guys can win a game this time!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)