jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

What is a religious shawl?

1. MarleneB profile image98
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

What is a religious shawl?

I see shawls advertised for women clergy. Is there a significance to the shawl? Length? Color? Ritual?

2. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 5 years ago

Uniformity has helped a great deal in life. In the religious, 'habits' encourage inspiration and reverence or respect. A particular faith may wish to use something to help them identify themselves. Shawls also keep us warm when it is cold. I cannot think of any ritual associated with the shawl, but it may be used while the ritual is being performed.
    The pharisees were fond of many garments, but remember that God wishes us to render our hearts and not our garments.
    Finally, I believe that you preach. It is better to stand in front of your 'flock' with some form of special dress as it adds dignity, lends authority and instils or encourages reverence, depending on its nature.

MarleneBposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi manatita44, as I shop for supplies, I see the shawls and wonder about them. I have never attended a church that used them, but I see them and wonder who uses them and why. Thank you for your insight.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Also known as peace shawls, in the Christian tradition, those making the shawls pray over them, asking for blessings on the recipients. Shawl ministry participants then give the garments to those in need of healing, peace or hope with the idea that the prayers embedded in making the shawl will comfort the person receiving the garment. Prayer shawl ministries are especially involved in providing shawls to hospitals and shelters.

1. manatita44 profile image83
      manatita44posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Interesting Jhtomp42. I did not know this.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you my friend. They also do this with "Prayer cloths."

3. MarleneB profile image98

JThomp42, this is very interesting. I never heard of this until now, but I like the idea of peace shawls.

4. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here in the south prayer and peace cloths are used often.

4. Michael-Milec profile image60
    Michael-Milecposted 5 years ago

Well, this is a tough to answer, since there isn't much references in the Scripture about a religious shawl. Thank God for establishing none religious condition for entering into the original relationship/ family of His , via simple faith in Jesus Christ.

Oh I know what you mean. The only requirement is faith. I love it. Simple!

2. Michael-Milec profile image60
      Michael-Milecposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, simple. In my thorny journey of life and living , the only immunity sustaining my soundness  was/is/remains FAITH. Blessed are those, willing to discover early enough the measure of faith given by God, developing it until the end of this.. .

working