jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is a licensed helicopter pilot - Was I the Only One N

1. Marisaupa profile image61
    Marisaupaposted 5 years ago

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is a licensed helicopter pilot - Was I the Only One Not to Know?

Yes, from the book of "say what?" among the many side facts that I was simply shocked to discover during the coverage of the Holy Father's last day as Pope was that he is a licensed helicopter pilot and that during his papacy he has piloted the Papal chopper from the Vatican to the Papal summer palace on multiple occasions.  Yet, he does know how to drive a car. 

This is simply a trivial fact, but just wondering if anyone cares to comment.

I still can't believe that we had a chopper flying Pope, LOL.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7738825_f260.jpg

2. Porshadoxus profile image75
    Porshadoxusposted 5 years ago

I've read that he was also a member of the Hitler Youth.

1. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think he was also drafted into the German Army. Why on earth would they choose a Cardinal who was a German of the WWII era to be Pope?

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I didn't even know he had a Twitter account. I just heard about that today!

4. cuttler profile image60
    cuttlerposted 5 years ago

It is pretty new for me as well...thanks for the info

5. Angela Blair profile image77
    Angela Blairposted 5 years ago

Nope, didn't know that was one of the Pope's talents -- but good for him! Must admit I'm questioning his resignation -- something just doesn't seem right about it to me. Most of the popes, being of advanced age, have suffered health problems yet didn't resign -- somehow just seems there's something mysterious going on.

working