jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Why a tithe?

1. celafoe profile image59
    celafoeposted 5 years ago

Why a tithe?

Why do most churches teach tithing since  could only be received by a natural Levite and when it is an old testament law that  has passed with the fulfillment of the Law.?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Great question. As with some other scripture I think this has just been passed down as a tradition. Just my opinion.

3. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 5 years ago

Different churches teach it differently. some churches use the tithe for community outreach programs, to feed and clothe the poor, and also to help others. There are some that teach tithing because the pastor has to be paid. There are different reasons. A lot of churches teach tithing simply because it's what the bible says

celafoeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

yes they do and they teach many other lies.  teaching something does not mean it is true. The tithe was only to be on the increase and could be paid only to a Levite.It passed with the law.It is not for Christians. and pastors taking it are stealing

4. Disappearinghead profile image79
    Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago

I think of "tithing" as a golf or a gym club membership fee, nothing more. If you are part of the club, you should contribute something to pay the bills and salaries. The tithe is not any of the following:
    - NT biblical
    - Taught by Jesus, the apostles, or the early Church.
    - paying back God what is his.
    - A spiritual act.
    - Anything to do with money.
    - Valid outside of the strict terms described under Mosaic law.
    - Enforceable.

good understanding  but why use an unscriptural term instead of using the new testament definition of Giving?   That would not encourange a newbie to believe the church lie when he hears it,
      and maybe God wants me to give a lot more or less than 10%

2. Disappearinghead profile image79
      Disappearingheadposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes giving is what Church should be doing and each man in accordance with what he has decided to give. But if the Church wants big buildings and big staff, then these need to be paid for. I think I prefer the 1st century low cost house church model.

3. celafoe profile image59

i agree DH and its what i have been involved with for the last 30 yrs.    Very scriptural and extremely rewarding as it allows everyone  to concentrate on people instead of things

5. Marcus99 profile image57
    Marcus99posted 5 years ago

I have been receiving a tithe from unsuspecting dogs and cats for decades. They don't seem to mind.

working