What is the Motivation behind tithing?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. boyatdelhi profile image51
    boyatdelhiposted 11 years ago

What is the Motivation behind tithing?

"Most people who tithe, and many people who preach tithing, are motivated not by generosity but by greed"  Do you agree with this statement?

2. MrMaranatha profile image74
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

Although the OT Biblical Laws of Tithes have become Obsolete under the New Testament of Grace... When one looks at the handling of other Laws one can see a pattern emerge.  For Example take Adultery: Jesus said if a man looks at a woman to lust after her, he has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

So while the Tithe is not emphatically Commanded in the New Testament the concept of giving is still there... and for providing for the Churches, Leadership, Orphans, widows etc... and the words "Freely you have received freely give" quickly come to mind..  We have received Grace and Mercy... we are now to have Grace and Mercy abound to the less fortunate around us.

We were not commanded to tithe... But in fact are left to decide for ourselves how much devotion to offer up to our Lord... in Money.. .in Time... in Sacrifices of Praise...  And the eternal hope seems to be a people who will Honor God above themselves... and Go beyond the letter of the Law and in all things Give First Fruits from the Heart.

3. profile image0
    SirDentposted 11 years ago

Well, I must say I disagree with your statement.  You said, "Most people who tithe are greedy."  Not many that I know of that give can truthfully be called greedy.,

Revise the question and maybe a good answer can come.

4. christopheranton profile image65
    christopherantonposted 11 years ago

Surely it is the spirit in which the giving is made that matters, rather than the amount or the proportion of the income. The widow, with her mite, was considered very righteous, precisely because of her generous heart, rather than because her money amounted to much. A poor person who helps someone out of generosity is surely better than a rich one who gives away millions, in order to gain a reputation for philantrophy.
    Equally I believe that a kindhearted atheist is, more likely to get to Heaven, than a very pious, but mean spirited Christian.

5. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

I don't necessarily agree with the statement that most who tithe, or preach tithing are motivated by greed.  In some cases, you're spot on, but when you approach tithing from another view, its true motivation, in my opinion, is this:  Everything we have comes from God, and rightfully, we acknowledge this by returning a portion of what we have to Him.  Those who are motivated by greed will say that what they give to God is then returned to them tenfold (or greater).  Those who are motivated by generosity will say that what they give to God is then distributed to care for those in need.  My personal belief is that when I return to God a portion of what He has given me, my financial house falls into (and remains in) order.  I will always be blessed with what I need (shelter, clothing, food) while others who may not already have those things will be blessed with them through what I give back.

6. movielardatadare profile image56
    movielardatadareposted 11 years ago

I think that most people who tithe and who preach tithing just may be motivated by greed.  That's an interesting perspective when you think about it.  I personally love to tithe.  It's my choice.  I don't do it for any personal gain.  What's something else is that everytime I do it I get more in return.  I think that's because God knows my heart--I'm not a faker.  I like philanthropy and that sort of thing.  I love to give stuff away to folks.  My motivation would have to be generosity.  But generally speaking, I think you're correct.  Most people do it for gain.

7. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 11 years ago

Tithing, I think is a Christian practice.  The Jews origianally sacrificed animals at the alter until their Temple was destroyed the second time and their religious practices changed to the Rabinincal form they have today; I don't believe "tithing" per se is pushed.  I don't know about Islam.  I believe most Eastern religions do not like the church to accumulate wealth and shun the concept of tithing, but that isn't to say they don't go on fund raisers of one sort or another for they have a mission to help the poor as well.

I think the formal idea of tithing, under the pretense of giving back to God, is simply to fund the church, plain and simple.  This isn't a negative, for some of the money often does go to help the needy, but most of it goes to promote that particular brand of religion and pay for the infrastructure and the salaries of those who work in it; it simply a way for the church to survive.

What I find disinginuous about it is tying the giving to God.  This "giving back" is interesting.  In my view, it is all God's to start with, you don't possess it separate from God.  It isn't like if you didn't want to give it back, God couldn't simply take it from you in one manner of another.  Another way of looking at it is that God has "everything" already.  By giving you something doesn't mean God has "less of everything" or when you give it back, God fills up the hole with it. 

I think the Church simply needs to be upfront about it and say we need the money to survive.

As to greed, yep, it is involved in "some" cases.  I drive around in the South and see these monserous mega-churches ... that is greed.  On the flip side, I know many "religious-types" who are trying to buy their way into Heaven; that is greed to.  I agree with a couple of the other commenters, that the true "giving" back is what you do personally to help others from your heart using the gift God gave you (and I don't mean your brand of religion either) and passing it on to others in need and not back to God.

8. Sinea Pies profile image61
    Sinea Piesposted 11 years ago

No, I don't agree. Most may be motivated to tithe from the scriptures in Malachi where God says that His people who do not tithe are robbing Him. It would be wonderful to tithe out of love for God, as well, but that won't be the case with every tither. He also attaches a promise to that scripture that those who do tithe will be blessed.

As far as those receiving the tithe are concerned, most pastors don't make huge incomes. Tithes pay their salaries. They are no more greedy than you or I when it comes to working hard and receiving a paycheck.

9. krillco profile image84
    krillcoposted 11 years ago

There can be many motivations, from pride to habit to love of God and respect for the one's ancient religious teachings. The source, for most Christians, Jews, and Muslims, is Biblical. God gets the 'first fruits' of our labor, and folks may also give 'alms' to the poor and needy, above and beyond the tithe. And always be suspect to those who preach tithing, lest they be bragging or lying about doing it. Both are a distinct possibility.

10. BobMonger profile image59
    BobMongerposted 11 years ago

Tithing is what keeps a roof over your church's head. It is a pity that some churches put so much emphasis on the paying of tithes their message of faith has gotten lost in the shuffle and if so then shame on them. But without some source of steady income your church withers and fades away. The one sure way to insure greed is not a motivating force behind the gathering of tithes is to get involved in how your congregation is administered. Our church has a board of trustees which oversees the spending of church funds; I am on that board so I know where that money goes. I am also on the vital practices committee so I know which activities get what monies.
    So don't be a cheapskate! Consider the paying of tithes as an investment but get involved if for no other reason than your own peace of mind.

11. sholland10 profile image84
    sholland10posted 11 years ago

No, I don't agree that it is greed.  When I tithe, I trust the money is going to help others, to help keep the church going from the people to the building. I hope my tithing aids in trips to go help other people.  Many people come to the church for help, and it takes money to give food, lodging, blankets, etc. 

While the stereotypical, "give me your money" TV evangelicals stands out to most people, that is not the case in most churches. Many good things are done with tithes.

12. miss_jkim profile image73
    miss_jkimposted 11 years ago

I don't believe the motivation is greed; although, I am quite sure there are those who are. The real motivation in tithing should be devotion to God, and obedience to His Word.

13. Whidbeywriter profile image82
    Whidbeywriterposted 11 years ago

Absolutely not.  The bible states that we are believers should give back to our churches or charities that which has been given to us.  If we had a society of people who never gave anything back we would have a sorry state of a country. When God supplies all of our needs according to his riches and glory we need to say "thank you" and be grateful for what he has given us.  The best way to show the gratitude is by blessing others.  We give to our church because it is the way that the individuals who are spreading the good news have their needs met.  God planned that all along.  So the concept that someone is greedy because they ask for tithe in church is totally wrong.  There have been some evangelists who were greedy and have taken advantage of others by pretending to be of God and were only wanting the money for themselves, there will always be that in a society.  Our job is to discern the difference between someone who is real and someone who is greedy, God has given us that ability through the power of the Holy Spirit.  So we need to listen very carefully before we are talked into something that may not be of God at all.  I hope that answered your question - blessings to you!

14. Judah's Daughter profile image79
    Judah's Daughterposted 11 years ago

To address those who tithe with the motive of greed (your question), the 'prosperity gospel' teaches that if you tithe God will not only 'rebuke the devourer' (protect your finances), but you will gain financial prosperity (greed).  I read here on HubPages of a person who had tithed regularly, but hadn't tithed recently due to a financial crisis.  She was told by her pastor that he couldn't pray for her finances because she hadn't been tithing - God couldn't bless her because of it.  This shows a lack of compassion by the pastor, if not manipulation of his sheep (greed).

So, I then ask myself, "Because she was tithing regularly, why did the financial crisis come upon her?", if the 'promise' tied to 'tithing' was a correct gospel?  And why would God not honor prayers for financial hardships because she was not able to 'tithe'?  I think of what Jesus said in Mat 15:5-6 "But you say, 'Whoever says to his father or mother, "Whatever I have that would help you has been given to God, he is not to honor his father or his mother.' And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition."  Family needs are most important in God's Book and 1 Tim 5:8 tells us, "But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

15. Tricia Ward profile image82
    Tricia Wardposted 11 years ago

The concept of tithing is to give back to God and honour him in a way. In a sense it is recognising he has provided and giving it back to further the Kingdom.

Some give 10% but some give far less....yet I have heard of people who giving far more than 10%. It should not be about greed as then the question posed is what is enough money. I know some affluent people that set their income and give the rest.

It is better to give and live on the rest, rather than give what is left over (in my humble opinion)

If more people in the church reviewed their giving, I believe we would be able to see a greater release for missions and relief of poverty.

16. Saved by Jesus profile image57
    Saved by Jesusposted 11 years ago

Because God required it, even before the Law of Moses.   I don't know the motives of anyone's hearts, but if they are tithing because they expect to get something back out of it, then God knows their heart and certainly will not bless them at all.

17. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

Disagree.  Tithing is a way to give back to God what he has provided for you.  A way to thank him

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)