jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

What are the Laws of the New Covenant and how do you know it when you read it?

1. profile image69
    graceinusposted 4 years ago

What are the Laws of the New Covenant and how do you know it when you read it?

The Old Covenant laws were spelled out in detail for the Nation of Isreal. And was understood by the people of Isreal. The Old Covenant was contained in the Book of the Laws. However, the New  Covenant laws are not as clearly understood and subjected to interpretation. So what are the New Covenant Laws?

2. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Grace in us, you are a great question person.

For some reason I read the scriptures a lot. And I read about them a lot. I have studied them at great length and taught them for years now. Something new comes every time with every verse. I like all my writers. I enjoy the mysteries of maybe Tim writing for Paul and which John and who helped Peter write. I like Luke the physician. And I like how each "Gospel" quotes Jesus a little different. And that most all the New writing is to a different audience.

But all of that is not as complete of a Law as a vision I have. Christ is walking away, then he turns and looks at me, knowing I have this question in my heart. And He says quite clearly." Stop overthinking it Dierker, the commandment is Love". And then He just kind of walks away and vanishes at the same time.

It is kind of harsh the way He says it. But I know even that commandment is in Love.

1. profile image69
      graceinusposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Eric- you are correct, Jesus did give a commandment in John 15:12 to love one another. The is for the New Covenant. Are there others? Thanks Eric and blessings

2. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Grace in us. Let us be careful. What a great word- full of care. We are his and when he speaks it is a command for us. If we are true then there is nothing new to us in the new. I follow the old laws. Me is not free to disobey.  Peace is this.

3. profile image69

Eric-I'm glad to see your comment. The Great thing about the Commentment of Love. WE can alway love our brothers even when we don't always agree. Love and God Bless.

3. dianetrotter profile image74
    dianetrotterposted 4 years ago

Jeremiah 31:31-33  succinctly stated in Baker's Bible Dictionary
    (1) God will write the law in the minds and on the hearts of those in the new covenant; (2) God will be the God of those in the new covenant and they will be his people; (3) those in the new covenant will know God; (4) God will forgive the iniquities and the sins of those in the new covenant. The new covenant, therefore, has two basic characteristics: an internal spiritual transformation resulting in a new relationship with God and a new possibility of obedience and forgiveness of sins. Jeremiah 31:31-34 falls into the context of the promise of the future regathering of Israel and its restoration to the land, which Jeremiah 29:10 says will take place after seventy years of exile.

1. profile image69

dianetrotter- Thanks so much for your answer and I'm happy to hear from you also. I assume that the Commandment regarding love that Jesus mentions in John 15:12 is also the Law God will write in the minds and on the hearts as stated in Jeremiah.

2. dianetrotter profile image74
      dianetrotterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you graceinus!  I'm enjoying participated again.

4. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

Jesus was asked what was the most important commandment. He said there are 2. Love God with all your hear and mind and soul. the 2nd is equally as important. love your neighbor as yourself.

1. profile image69

christiananrkist- I do believe these two commandment are the MOST important commandments for the New Covenant believer, but are they the only commandments? Many christian are not aware that when a King speaks IT IS A COMMAND. And Jesus gave many.

5. profile image60
    spiderbatposted 4 years ago

Law Of Love - the law that sets us free.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone  who
    believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.  John 3:16

So, whatever you do or whenever you speak, remember you will be  judged by the law of love, the law that set you free.   James 2:12 NLT

And the most important piece of clothing you must wear is love. Love is  what binds us all together in perfect harmony.  Colossians 3:14

Let love be your greatest aim.   1 Corinthians 14:1

Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love  covers a multitude of sins.  2 Peter 4:8

Love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no wrong to anyone, so love  satisfies all God's requirements. Romans 13:9-10

Our love for each other proves that we have gone from death to life.  1 John 3:14

This kind of love comes from the Holy Spirit, which enable us to will and to act according to God's will.

It is not that we think we can do anything of lasting value by ourselves.  Our only
    power and success come from God. He is the one who has enabled us to represent his new covenant. This is  a covenant, not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old way ends in death; in the new  way, the Holy Spirit gives life.
    2 Corinthians 3:5-6

1. profile image69

spiderbat- Love is the greatest of all commandments. Thanks so much for answering. Blessings

working