What defines a commandment from God?

1. profile image68
    graceinusposted 4 years ago

What defines a commandment from God?

There are many commandment from God throughout the bible. As king God has the right to command anything of us. But What form does His commandment have? Are there Commandments from God that we don't realize. Are do's and don'ts from God all commandments? So what defines His commandments?

2. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 4 years ago

God's commandment is best defined by the imitation of Christ as He suggested:
    "If you love me, keep my commandments." (John, 14: 15).
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man should lay down his life for his friend." (John, 15:13).

The spiritual life is an exemplary one. We ought to walk in the footsteps of Christ, to be as perfect as the Father in Heaven wishes us to be.
    "Be ye therefore perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Naturally we are weak, and I am not idealistic. We will make mistakes, but if Paul tells us that it is possible: and Christ Himself gives us examples, then we belittle them by not walking in the Light.

" Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven.". (Matthew 5: 16)

Again He said: "You are the Light of the world, a city that is set upon a hill cannot be hid." (Matthew 5:16)

So my brother, a commandment is defined by the execution of good deeds as in the parable of the good Samaritan, or the behaviour of Joseph to his brothers.

A commandment is further defined by the voice of conscience. When one is virtuous, one will feel inner joy and an indwelling satisfaction; a sense of inner peace and a greater aspiration to love and serve God in and through one's fellow man, just as Paul said;

"If a man say, I love God, and hates his brother, he is a liar: for he that loves not his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?" (1 John, 4:20)

The Form exists, so that by adoring the Form, we can best serve the Formless, but the Form or Creation is an aspect of the infinite:

"The earth is the Lord's and it's fullness thereof, and they that dwell there in it." ( Psalm 24:1, Deuteronomy, 10:14) and again, Christ tests our love for Him by asking us to:  "Feed my sheep." (John, 21:17)

So finally God's commandments are defined in a cheerful smile, a serene mind, a pure and loving heart and a divinised life.

1. profile image68
      graceinusposted 4 years agoin reply to this

manatita44- Thank you so much for your answer and God bless.

working