jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Did you learn about Huguenots in History at school?

1. techygran profile image93
    techygranposted 3 years ago

Did you learn about Huguenots in History at school?

When you studied history in school did you learn about the Huguenots (French Protestant reformers) alongside learning about Henry VIII and Martin Luther?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11854625_f260.jpg

2. JMcFarland profile image88
    JMcFarlandposted 3 years ago

yes, I actually did.  I'm going to be reading about them again soon, as I pursue my eventual doctorate in History - my focus is on the fall of Rome through the reformation, and I look forward to learning more about many different groups throughout my studies.  They've also come up several times in my independent reading about various historical figures.

techygranposted 3 years agoin reply to this

thanks JMcFarland.  You learned about this in High School History along with Henry VIII and Martin Luther, or did you learn about Huguenots at College?

2. JMcFarland profile image88
      JMcFarlandposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Both,  actually.

3. MarliesMahlangu profile image60
    MarliesMahlanguposted 3 years ago

No I did not learn it at school I was not doing History at school  but I was doing Science. Nice topic.

4. Poeticjazztice profile image60
    Poeticjazzticeposted 3 years ago

No. I learnt about them when I started to study church history - while I was writing my book, "The Bible: beauty and terror reconciled".
    Would love to tell you more but pressed for time...

Maybe later.

Thanks Poeticjazztice!  I find it interesting that many of us learned about certain Protestant reforms, but not others.  I'll be over to see you at "your place" and perhaps you can tell me more about some of what you found out when writing your book.

5. conradofontanilla profile image83
    conradofontanillaposted 3 years ago

I missed the Huguenots but not Martin Luther and King Henry VIII. I was doing literature research on how to deal with the Catholic church in the Philippines. This church has landholdings in the Philippines and is not paying taxes on for-profit business. These landholdings are a virtual Vatican empire in the Philippines. However, I read about the French revolution of 1799 that abolished the privileges of the clergy and nobles, and the installation of the Constitution of the Church. Was the latter about the Huguenots? I will get back to my history books or the Internet.

I love your handle-- sounds very apt for someone investigating that particular 'empire in the Philippines'.   I believe the French Revolution grew up out of a grassroots/"rational"/intellectual disgust with the same source of corruption.

2. conradofontanilla profile image83
      conradofontanillaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I found that the Huguenots are influenced by John Calvin who advocates predestination. Persecuted in France like Calvin himself who was driven out. Some Calvin ideas are found in the King James version of bible, and among Puritans.

6. sallybea profile image97
    sallybeaposted 3 years ago

Yes I did as I grew up in South Africa where a large number of the white population in South Africa are descended from the Huguenots.

Thank you, sallybea-- that I did not know.  I just did a quick peak at Wiki on the subject and note that F.W. de Klerk had Huguenot roots... oh.

7. Chris Neal profile image76
    Chris Nealposted 3 years ago

Never attended college, and no, my public school education did not, as far as I can remember, say anything except perhaps a passing mention of them.

working