jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What is christmas

1. profile image60
    Abiodun adetonaposted 3 years ago

What is christmas

I don't know anything about the history

2. profile image0
    jfischerstoneposted 3 years ago

Christmas is the time set aside to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

1. feenix profile image61
      feenixposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Right you are, jfischerstone. It is just that simple.

3. Robert the Bruce profile image60
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

Christmas began in Europe as a Pagan winter celebration to honor the gods. It was celebrated with drinking and other types of revelry. Over time the Catholic Church adopted this holiday and added Christian themes to it.

During the 1600's Christmas was actually outlawed in the American colonies. It wasn't until the 1800's that the holiday found acceptance among American families.

There's plenty of info available for this subject. As with anything, consult many different sources in order to get a better understanding.

4. PlanksandNails profile image86
    PlanksandNailsposted 3 years ago

The origins of Christmas can be traced all the way back the ancient customs of ancient Babylonian sun worship. These customs have been cleverly absorbed into modern Christianity during the time of Constantine. Most of the symbols of Christmas (Christ-mass) are emblems of ancient Babylon and later in Roman mythology.

Many people believe that Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, but he was not born in the winter months. If one truly researched the lineage of Christmas they would realize that birth of the "Jesus" that they are celebrating is actually Tammuz, an ancient sun deity.

The asherah (phallic symbol) is representation of the Christmas tree. The origin of the X-mas Tree (“the cross” is the symbol of Tammuz) is actually the Tammuz/Nimrod tree that was a central to the ancient Babylonian religion with a snake (garland) wrapped around the tree trunk. 

Those who say Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ have been indoctrinated by the Church system.

5. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 3 years ago

A most wonderful day indeed. I will begin the day by reading the Liturgy of the Hours followed by walking our two gods (backwards) on the wooded trail adjacent our subdivision.
    I will then gently awaken my Aine true love and we will begin the day with a most beautiful "breakfeast" and the unveiling of stockings and the opening of presents. That is, after my cladistine operation of sneaking her solid carved teak chair into the house with her not knowing.
    Mass is at 10 a.m. Since my grandson will be with us (no Midnight Mass this year). There will be many phone calls and brunch at my wonderful in-laws followed by present exchange and roast turkey, ham too many vegetables (including my favorite vegetable, the significantly unknown and exquisite parsnips), yes I did say parsnips. There will be enough dressing (stuffing) to float to China and enough gravy to flood Florida.
    The evening will be a movie viewing of an All American WW II hero's tenacious story of triumph. A man that recently passed on. After the movie I am hoping for uninterrupted time with my Aine true love...
    Thus, Christmas to me/us is an extraordinary day full of love and family. Perhaps one could conclude it is heavenly?

6. C.V.Rajan profile image78
    C.V.Rajanposted 3 years ago

if you want a practical answer, then

- Christmas is a good holiday season
    - People buy lots of things wanted and unwanted and gift to others
    - 'Have's get another chance to spend money lavishly
    - 'Have-not's too copy 'have's, spend lavishly and get into debt trap
    - Many people are burdened with unwanted gifts and don't know how and where to dump them. Many sell them at E-bay post Christmas
    - Good families join together and celebrate
    - bad families brood about good old times when they had joined together and celebrated
    - Eat drink and be merry

Jesus Christ? Forget him!