jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

What happens if you confess murder at the confession booth in church?

1. clivewilliams profile image82
    clivewilliamsposted 2 years ago

What happens if you confess murder at the confession booth in church?

If you confess murder to a father (church) does he keep it as a secret confession or does he go to the police?

2. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 2 years ago

No, the priest is NOT allowed to go to the police.  The confession is just between you and God, and the priest is the liaison.  That is what Catholics believe.  They believe that a priest is needed to absolve you of your sins, while other Christians don't believe that and say they can go directly to God themselves.  But the priest cannot go to the police, the same way a lawyer couldn't go to the police because of the attorney-client privilege.

clivewilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

i see

3. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

never thought of it, but i am  sure he will advise you to turn yourself in at the police station

mmmm, Isn't the priest suppose to have forgiveness authority or something like that

4. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Catholic priests are bound by the seal of the confessional. Nothing you say in confession can be revealed by the priest to whom you confess. However, the priest will probably not absolve you until you turn yourself in to the police.

when i get arrested, how will he absolve me then?

2. lisavollrath profile image96
      lisavollrathposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Priests are allowed to visit people in jail. A repentant person doing jail time could still be absolved of their sin.

3. clivewilliams profile image82

interesting

working