jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What Is The Appeal Of Mega Churches?

1. PhoenixV profile image73
    PhoenixVposted 2 years ago

What Is The Appeal Of Mega Churches?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

I doubt that people are attracted to a church based upon it's size alone. Oftentimes it has more to do with the charisma of the minister and his/her message.
    Some churches preach fire and brimstone along with preparing for the end while others preach prosperity and inspirational living.
    A lot of folks view services from Mega churches from the privacy of their own home. This is especially good for those who are not physically able to get around easily.
    They also have the ability to tape services on their DVR and watch then whenever it's more convenient.
    I imagine for those who live in the area there may be a certain prestige they feel by belonging to a successful and well known church.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

I agree that these mega churches provide a sense of privacy simply by their size and a feeling of better self esteem simply by being a member.

Most mega churches are now televising their sermons so being able to proclaim that you belong to "that" church may help those with low self esteem attain some status...how sad.

4. Ericdierker profile image54
    Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago

My wife and I attend one that gets taken on the road and comes around here from time to time. Of course it is spiritually uplifting to an extent, but!
    It is the show that we go to. It is the event. We have fun. We have bought some good CDs that are still in our cars - music. We remember them.
    Sorry to say but it is closer to going to a circus than a church. There is a local one that has seating for I think 10K and we have visited that church. It is very entertaining and leaves you with good one liners to remember for the week.
    I think I would have liked to attend when Jesus fed the 5K, that must have been huge for the time.
    I suppose that all things have there place in this big old crazy world. My place on Sunday is with my son in a pew with a preacher in blue jeans away from the podium and mingling with us 50 or less friends.