jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (24 posts)

Do you feel that celebacy has a role in spiritual life?

1. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 22 months ago

Do you feel that celebacy has a role in spiritual life?

2. Dwight Phoenix profile image79
    Dwight Phoenixposted 22 months ago

That would be a strong YES..........................

manatita44posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Dwight, God! You're quick bro. Why do you think so? Rationale?

2. Dwight Phoenix profile image79
      Dwight Phoenixposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Flesh <, ==,

3. manatita44 profile image84

Dwight, you're interesting Bro. Good at maths? or wise, perhaps, for one so young. (smile)

4. Dwight Phoenix profile image79
      Dwight Phoenixposted 22 months agoin reply to this

I meant to say

Flesh <, ==, < spirit

5. profile image57
      Norine Williamsposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Amen Dwight!  "Flesh <, ==, < spirit"  TRUTH!
      "For he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife" (I Cor 7:33)!

3. always exploring profile image85
    always exploringposted 22 months ago

Manatita, I believe it's up to the individual. For instance, a priest or a spiritual leader who practices celibacy for religious purpose.

Thanks Ruby. So you think it has a role or purpose then? Fair to say?

4. Electro-Denizen profile image83
    Electro-Denizenposted 22 months ago

Obviously that's the ideal, but few aspirants are ready for it.

The are so many spiritual teachers and gurus who fail exactly on that account, which perhaps should be a warning. It's dangerous as they have subtlety of mind and so justify their actions to themselves (and others) in devious fashions. It comes and bites even the most advanced at unexpected times...

From a Buddhist text, I read something along the lines of that it's better living a secular life than doing half practice, or polluted spiritual practice. As Jesus said, no-one can serve two masters.

I think the sexual drive problem gets worse as spiritual practice increases, and so someone needs very good foundations of character indeed, to get through the morass of emotion and sex drive. In fact, higher energy ends up by stimulating all the centres of the body...

Also, self-stimulation is not celebacy either.

I liked the practical approach of one guru I read about once. He did many years of spiritual practice, reached profound levels of inner realisation, and had a great following. Then to everybody's surprise, he took a wife and embarked on a secular(ish) life.

I think that is good. Better practical measures than become all twisted.

I used to visit an ashram in the UK once in a while, and I learned of a brother-in-training whom the other monks decided would not be suitable for the brotherhood, as he seemed to have quite a gift at getting local girls pregnant!  :-))

Again, much Light in your answer, Brother ED. I won't pursue the brother-in-training stuff, but yes you say many wise things. Continue,continue. May higher Truths guide your Heart and bless your life.

2. Electro-Denizen profile image83
      Electro-Denizenposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Yes, it is better to remain steadfast on the path. I think maybe we learn through trial and error, that enticing shapes and so on, are really just that - shapes that won't last. We have to see beyond.

3. manatita44 profile image84

You show great understanding. Do you meditate?

4. Electro-Denizen profile image83
      Electro-Denizenposted 22 months agoin reply to this

I try manatita. I tend to do simple yoga followed by some meditation. With children and wife I cling onto secular life... just. Something else has always called me. I'd probably enjoy reading your book.

5. manatita44 profile image84

Yes, Electro. You seem  wise. Sri Chinmoy accepts both married and  single souls. Purity is so important that there is a whole chapter on it in my book. I can send you the manuscript or the chapter or try Amazon: My Guru, Sri Chinmoy. Life And Teachi

5. Abhimanyu gaur profile image83
    Abhimanyu gaurposted 22 months ago

Celibacy has many benefits to the body and they have been proved by science. The spiritual benefits are far better as clarity of thought can be perfected by celibacy. Celibacy is one of the hardest ones but it is not at all impossible as many Yogis have demonstrated. Lust and love are two different things and they are opposites of each other. While even Yoga gives freedom to to ignore celibacy when you are married but that is only for sometime. The practise must be resumed after some intial years of marriage. Some Yogis take the vow of celibacy and they do not marry at all. So overall, Celibacy is the backbone for a serious Yogi and without it he/she may fail in achieving the ultimate goal.

Nineteen? Tremendous understanding for one so young. I like that. Yoga philosophy does not give the freedom to ignore it, but encourages a life of self-control, a rather 'slow and steady wins the race' approach for those who are not yet fully in tune

6. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 22 months ago

Somebody has to procreate.  Why not the highly spiritual?  Why leave it to the less spiritual to increase the population?

On the other hand, some people are divinely called to celibacy; for them it does have a role in their spiritual lives.

Seems reasonable, Dee, but it's the other way around. Lust for lust sake from the brutish realm, seems to produce more. Your ideas are commendable.

7. emge profile image77
    emgeposted 22 months ago

You have raised an interesting question. There are 2 schools of thought in Hinduism, one advocating celibacy to reach god and other through Tantra. To be totally celibate is very difficult and if one can achieve it one will   become a yogi and attain ESP. Celibacy theoretically is a part of spiritual life but something that cannot be achieved by a normal human.

1. Abhimanyu gaur profile image83
      Abhimanyu gaurposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Madan but as far as I know Tantra is forbidden and it is lost knowledge. According to my knowledge in ancient India tantra was forbidden and secretly practised.

2. manatita44 profile image84

Yes, Madam, but
      modern Yoga or let's say the current crop of realised souls do not recommend Tantra. For one thing it is misunderstood and secondly  highly dangerous for the sincere seeker.

3. profile image57
      Norine Williamsposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Is this the GOD of Abraham, Issac & Jacob? THE "Creator?"  What are you guys doing? 
      What book has as many "accurate" fulfilled prophecies as Bible written BEFORE Bible?  Why then "Have another god before HIM" (Ex 20:3)?

8. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 21 months ago

Again very nice answers and thank you all. I would go for Electro-Denizen as his seems to me to be a more progmatic or practical approach.

working