jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can Psychology and Philosophy coincide?

1. Bella Sames profile image77
    Bella Samesposted 23 months ago

How can Psychology and Philosophy coincide?

Not sure what I am on to here haha. I don't know if the question has been worded the right way, but some might know what I am asking.

2. Chatty Chat profile image88
    Chatty Chatposted 23 months ago

A lot of early psychology came from philosophical ideas.

3. Rich kelley profile image60
    Rich kelleyposted 23 months ago

Time has shown they are dependent on one another. Which came first the chicken or the egg?

4. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 23 months ago

This is just a wonderful question for us to ponder in order to get the parts of our brain working in synchronicity. We must get it straight that Psychology is leaning toward science. We must get it straight that philosophy is leaning toward theology/metaphysics. But neither is pure in any direction so they overlap. My philosophy is to observe and come to rational thought. My psychology is to actually effect my thought. It is cool because both are purely in my head/brain/mind.
    Here is a cool one. I can think emotionally. I can think logically/scientifically.
    Another is that I can have faith instead of proof.
    In general I do not differentiate but rather synergistically think. Psychology wise I effect my mood. Philosophy wise I stay strictly in my thoughts without effect from my feelings.
    "You cannot think without feeling".
    "You can feel without thinking"
    It is so cool that it goes at least back to Plato. This idea of form differentiation. This idea of thought controlling body, and mind separate from body. Totally two distinct concepts and functions.
    People must be aware of the difference between psychiatry and psychology.
    Most of us do not care about this stuff and that is good. It is deep mental gymnastics. Good for your brain workout but not at all essential for a good healthy life.
    Answer: Both schools of thought exist and describe and study different aspects of life. It is left hand and right hand. We do best when we understand both and know how to use them.
    "I must go change my thinking so that I can live my life of right rather than wrong."

working