jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

How can atheists support Trump?

1. Oztinato profile image72
    Oztinatoposted 16 months ago

How can atheists support Trump?

Donald supports small minded right wing religious fundamentalism but many atheists support him.
    Is there such a thing as a "religious fundamentalist atheist"?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13324066_f260.jpg

2. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 16 months ago

Many atheists support Donald Trump because they value personal freedom, and the larger the government, the smaller the individual. If you're libertarian, it is morally necessary to vote libertarian or Trump versus big government Clinton.
    Many opposed her calls to censor speech and limit freedoms in the name of group rights. The threat fundamentalist Islam threats isn't to be understated, when many Muslim nations execute both homosexuals and atheists per the Koran.

Oztinatoposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Right wing back woods fundamemtalism is very high on Donald's agenda. Worse still it's his politically expedient idea of it.
      2017 not here yet and there is now a "phony war" with China due to......Donald.

3. Stephen Meadows profile image83
    Stephen Meadowsposted 12 months ago

Well, I don't personally support him. However, that has nothing to do with my non-religious leanings and everything to do with the fact that I believe in civil rights and personal freedom. Trump only panders to the religious right because they are the only ones hypocritical enough to support him in large numbers. I supported Barrack Obama, even though he claimed to be a Christian.

There are good and bad atheists, just as there are good and bad people in every religion. I support people on the issues, not solely on their religious beliefs. I'm not giving someone a pass simply because we agree on one large thing.

Oztinatoposted 12 months agoin reply to this

There are many atheists here on hubpages who are incredulous that their long term atheist acquaintances are throwing their weight behind Donald.

2. Stephen Meadows profile image83
      Stephen Meadowsposted 12 months agoin reply to this

That is their choice, but I don't see that as an indictment of all atheists. Are they supporting him BECAUSE they are atheists or for other reasons? Many white people support him too. Does that make us ALL wrong?

3. Oztinato profile image72
      Oztinatoposted 12 months agoin reply to this

I never said "all atheists" or "all believers". The record here speaks for itself.

working