jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

does religion needs protection?

1. pisean282311 profile image54
    pisean282311posted 7 years ago

please give your views..

1. Beelzedad profile image57
      Beelzedadposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Only from itself. smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image87
        Shadesbreathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think this is the core of it.  Religion needs protection from the expanding circle of resentment created by those within its various subsets and manifestations that behave in ways that breed resentment and hostility from those who don't have religion or belong to one of the other subsets or manifestations.

We'd probably be better off without it at this point in human evolution.  I think it's served its purpose, guided us out of primitive darkness, and we can rely on Constitutions and rule of law.  The weapons that developed coming out of the religious age are too frightening to exist in a world where people can make decisions and claim they have the word of God behind them.

That's too much power.  If a leader wants to drop a nuke on something, he or she needs to look the camera in the eye and say, "I'm doing this because I think there's a significant threat."  At least that way the people can fight back and say, "No, you are wrong" if they want.  You get everyone on the same God-page, nobody can argue.  How can you argue with God?  That kind of justification was bad enough when the carnage was wrought with swords and arrows.  Definately be better if all the religions just vanished (I kno, there are peaceful ones, but I'm sure someone could twist them round if they suddenly found themselves without one of the more warlike ones.)

I realize there would still be war, but at least it would be limited to reasons of power and greed.  It's harder to get everyone on  your side if you reasons are, "We're going to war because I need more land!"  NOt impossible, just harder.  Less loyal troops too.

2. Ohma profile image73
    Ohmaposted 7 years ago

Protection from what?

pisean282311posted 7 years agoin reply to this

exactly...read an strip which said xyz religion is in danger..awaken to protect it..obviously it meant from other religion ...now this led me wonder does religion actually needs protection?...

1. skyfire profile image71
        skyfireposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"verses of punishment to non-believers, tax-free status in govt, social isolation for non-believers, weekly preaching, tv channels, monthly meet, books and blogs. "< - - These are already some of the attempts to protect religion.

3. Ohma profile image73
    Ohmaposted 7 years ago

People are either going to believe or not. Some form of organized religion will always exist so my answer would be no. Even if I said yes how would you protect it. you can not dictate to people that they should believe or what they should believe in so how would you protect it. (I am guessing the OP means to protect from extinction)

pisean282311posted 7 years agoin reply to this

i completely agree with u..

working