Honest Question- why are atheists the most hated minority?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (155 posts)
  1. TheBlondie profile image60
    TheBlondieposted 13 years ago

I'm an atheist, and even though I'm a generally good person (volunteer at an animal shelter, nice to people, generous, etc.), I've been told I'm going to hell simply because I don't take part in any religion. I'm really not trying to start a fight or argument, I'm really just curious- why are atheists hated so much?

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I personally think there are a large group of atheists that want to feel persecuted. I have no idea where this'hated' belief comes from. Why would anyone hate someone else for a personal belief?

TheBlondieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that some atheists want to be hated so they can rip on religious people more, but I've lost a few friends because they hate my atheism. Religion can occasionally pose a problem, but complete lack of religion? Who is that hurting, really?

1. profile image0
          Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think it's because one's atheism is a threat to people who are religious. They have to face the fact that they might be wrong. That is too fearful to contemplate.

This stuff  doesn't happen in Europe, the UK or even SA. One's religion is one's own business - and so is one's atheism.

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't happen in Australia either. We have hundreds of religions here that are well tolerated, but if they try the tactics that Americans use to flog it in the street anywhere, they soon get the rejection they so strongly desire. smile

1. profile image0
              Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup. smile

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

According to believers, atheists are in league with Satan, are evil and must be hated, because their gods hate evil and are in a constant battle with Satan.

Atheists are interested in learning and understanding the world around them, they want to help mankind in any way they can. Believers despise learning and understanding and only see the world around them according to their beliefs. They despise mankind as they are all evil sinners requiring salvation.

Then, you'll hear them say such ridiculous things as:

"I personally think there are a large group of atheists that want to feel persecuted."

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To some "believers" everyone who doesn't believe the exact same thing they do is in league with Satan. Atheists are not, and shouldn't feel, singled out.

According to the FBI, hate crimes against atheists comprise less than 1% of those directed for religious reasons:
        http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2009/incidents.html
        Considering that probably over 10% of Americans are atheist, I would say that atheists are not being especially singled out among other religious minorities.

And saying that atheists "want to help mankind in any way they can" and "are interested in learning and understanding the world around them" is really a meaningless generalization, and sounds, dare I say, evangelical?

1. Beelzedad profile image58

No one said atheists were singled out. I understand that believers feel anyone who doesn't agree with their religion is in league with their version of evil.

Yes, notice that those hate crimes are religiously motivated, one religious group acting out towards another. And, even though the statistics for hate crimes against atheists is small, they still do exist.

Can you show any statistics for hate crimes that are motivated by atheism?

So, where is the ardent zealotry in that statement if you believe it to be evangelical and at the same time a meaningless generalization? smile

No, those statistics don't seem to imply anything whatsoever about the religious belief of the perpetrators. You can rely on data, or, in the absence of data, choose to believe something you want to believe.

As I've said before in different threads, this is always your choice.

As to your final question: I see ardent zealotry over meaningless generalizations all the time. Or do you agree that evangelical Christians are just motivated by love and compassion for their fellow man, too?

From your link:

"For each hate crime offense type reported, law enforcement must indicate at least one bias motivation. A single-bias incident is defined as an incident in which one or more offense types are motivated by the same bias."

Evangelical Christians are motivated by their indoctrination, love and compassion for their fellow man have nothing to do with it. If it did, they wouldn't evangelize their religion. smile

Yes, a single-bias incident is one that is motivated by one bias (anti-Jewish only, anti-homosexual only, etc.) as opposed to multiple biases (anti-black and anti-Muslim, etc.)

This still does not imply anything about the religion (or other "reason") of the perpetrators, only of the victims.

From your link:

"Religious bias

Law enforcement agencies reported 1,376 hate crimes motivated by religious bias."

Yes, bias against religion. Most of them against Jews; only a handful against atheists.

I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble wrapping your head around these statistics. Confirmation bias?

2. profile image0

lol lol

I fell off my chair laughing. This is humor at its best.
        Absolutely loved it. smile

3. jamterrell profile image41
        jamterrellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we have the same point.

3. superwags profile image65
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think some religious people feel threatened by atheism - perhaps in their heart of hearts they're not all that sure themselves.

Mind, I also think that this may have something to do with the fact you live live in a very religiously inclined country; I'm from the UK so I generally go weeks of my life without ever hearing anyone invoke god, or even meet anyone who's religious.

I do not have a single friend who would identify themselves as religious - except perhaps for a few foreign colleagues. This tends to be the case across most of Europe, in my experience.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a friend from Sweden and although she was raised Catholic ,she is quite open-minded and less likely to fly off the handle discussing Religion.

My nephew once raised in a Christian home ,now voices Athiesm loud and clear ..

I love them both, and neither of us have to be right.
        Respect is a good thing.

1. superwags profile image65

You're a Kiwi though aren't you? So the majority around you must also be pretty atheist. Not sure I've ever met a religious Kiwi and the Swedes are about as atheist as it comes.

The census is being done this week in the UK so it'll be interesting to see what results it comes up with in terms of religousity. Having said that, the cesus skews the results considerably in favour of the umbers of people professing to a religous affiliation.

For the record, I put myself down as Pastafarian.

No Wags  lol the majority are not Atheist  oh gosh lol

Religion in New Zealand is dominated demographically by Christianity. (Wiki)

It is a mixed Western country ,what more can I say.

Actually my last post was to point out that having different beliefs is never a reason to hate.

Obviously I agree with you, you shouldn't hate anybody irrationally.

New Zealand is probably going to have less than 50% of respondants to this year's census professing to Christianity - that's what the trends say. "No religion" was ticked 26.2% more in 2006 than 2001! That's a big shift. They also excluded "Jedi" from the counting (as they did also in the UK) - in NZ this was 1.5% of the population!

I'm off to NZ at the end of the year, incidentally - not that this has anythig to do with religion!

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
              Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Worry not - they soon will be. I understand the education system there has improved a lot recently. Most of educated Europe now rejects the idea of a god. Except the Italians of course. sad

In any case - We don't hate you. We love you - we just hate your ridiculous war mongering beliefs.

Good to see you dropped the hillbilly speke.

Bonsoir Mark,

I think the Poles, Irish and Portuguese might have something to say about that!

The census results that we go on are skewed massively towards professing a religious belief too; I suspect of people were properly asked on the idea, they'd say they we ireligious.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

"Educated" was the operative word. big_smile

3. profile image0
              Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm a kiwi too, and would say the majority are atheist, not practising christians

Is that just your opinion or do you have any stats to back up your statement BB?

1. profile image0

it's my opinion, but go ahead and back it up with stats.  I wouldn't believe census stats where everyone that was forced to go to church occasionally ticked 'christian'.  I did see an interesting billboard last time I was in NZ though.  Said something like '1.8 million people don't believe....get over it' - can't remember exact number & wording

I have already backed up some stats (from Wiki) on a previous post.
                    However I dont consider Wiki to be the best authority per se.

My comment at the time was regarding something that Wags had said assuming that New Zeaaland was an atheist nation ( or becoming one).
                    His assumption was just that and quite random roll

I do agree that nations who claim to Christian perhaps base that assumption on their creeds and allegiance ,more so than on census data.

Queen-Church Of England etc.

2. profile image0

my personal opinion is from people I've known.  When I was at university 20-odd years ago, there were very few christians studying science with me.  The few that were, were indoctrinated like before going to uni.  There were more christians and people of other faiths in subjects other than science.
                    When I went to teachers college a decade ago, there were only a few christians in my classes.  Also a few mormons.
                    Contrast when I went to school - slightly more christians, some jehovah witnesses etc.  In various workplaces in NZ, I have come across very few christians, a hindu, and can't really recall any others.  Hubby has come across some JWs in his workplaces.  In Australia, I've come across a few 'traditional' christians at private school that treated me like sh#t.  Also an ex-christian & ex-catholic. 
                    Maybe others were religious, but they certainly didn't make it known.
                    When I was in my christian 'bubble', everyone seemed like a christian,because that's who other christians hang out with.  I expect people in the bible belt of the US would feel like this too

4. Woman Of Courage profile image59
              Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Kiwi, The majority is not atheist. The statistics show it's only 10% of atheists.

2. profile image50
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All humans should be respected whether they believe in a religion or they don't believe in one.

Only the Creator-God will judge everybody, rightfully.

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I already judged your god. I feel certain it is a myth. A nasty psychotic myth, but a myth nonetheless.

4. topgunjager profile image59
      topgunjagerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think because right from the start, not having respect for God and his words are classified as immoral. It's not that easy to break into that type of mind set because that is the "truth" presented to people at a very early age and not a whole lot of people are around against this train of thought. To believers, telling them that God is not real is like saying murder is good. To them, the way they are is what the world should be.

5. Titen-Sxull profile image73
      Titen-Sxullposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm an atheist but I don't feel that we're the "most" hated minority. Perhaps it's a regional thing, certain parts of the US and certain regions in other countries can be very religious. While certainly we are an oft overlooked or maligned minority I don't think we're the most hated. I think that gays, for instance, still go through far more persecution than atheists do especially when they are young and especially in those same regions that persecute atheists.

6. chaunatye profile image60
      chaunatyeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We are so against the grain that people look at us in disgust, I think too that Atheism, for some reason, is automatically associated with devil worship, I know that sounds absurd but at least in my experiance it has been.
      What cracks me up is that people look at me like I am going to hell too, tell me that they will pray for me, when I am more faithful to my "religion" then they are.

Faithful in ? nothing ? wink

7. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I always thopught the idea was; "Hate the Sin, love the Sinner..?" Guess as Christians all that goes out the window when Sunday school is over..!

Interesting question, very

8. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Atheists ... to me are pitiable ...

For they were not Taught about The Truth of Reality ... or, maybe, their circumstances, did not allow them the opportunity ...  of seeing things, in their true perspective.

I can only Hope, God gives you the Courage, and the Knowledge, to See, because, its a matter of Destiny.

Awww. See? This is why your religion causes so many wars. sad

I am just not frightened enough to believe the nonsense you believe. Sorry.

9. Radical Rog profile image72
      Radical Rogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A long, long time ago when I was young and going to school, the bus used to pass a building with a big sign reading 'Atheist Church.' I'm not making this up and I always wondered what they did in there, gather on Sunday and not worship god.
      Please note the small 'g'. I'm not into god singular and one of. If there can be one there can be lots, but I don't hate atheists and don't know anyone who does. As for some idiot telling you that you're going to hell, the name Lucifer means Light Bringer. Light is synonymous with knowledge and wisdom denoting Lucifer's task as one of bringing knowledge to mankind. Have a bite from the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. It's those that tell you you're going to hell that worship a god whose priests tell you he's a god of mystery and not for mankind to understand.
      Here's the question, How can you have faith in a mystery you can't understand because faith without knowledge has no foundation?

I dont have a faith in a mystery.

I have a faith and relationship in a living ,loving God,and I do understand it, in everyday events to the more complex.

God is not a burden ,his ways are light and easy.

I believe He died for me and rose again on the 3rd day.

I believe he cares about me (and my fellow man) and is indeed interested in the affairs of man.

I accept that many things affect why and how I come to make any decision in my life as Im everyone does.

If the athiests calls it indoctrination ,what process /name/title does he assign himself.......why........double standard?

No I was created with a purpose and am as unique as every snowflake that ever fell ( as you are too)

Why we are so unique that not one human is alike. Our thumbprint is like God date stamped us himself.

Just too many 'wow' moments on how we are all wired,to say ,we came from nothing ,mean nothing ,going back to nothing.

What intelligent mind would accept that even for a second?

"I don't understand where I came from, but I am too special not to live forever, therefore god dunnit and I do not no wot god is but I no it good."

"Majik" lol

Think of yourself as a grain of sand on the beach.

Education will eventually destroy your religion. Someone said "There are no religious people - just people who do not understand physics."

2. Pandoras Box profile image61
          Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The intelligent mind that understands that everything we are is stored in our brains, which will rot quickly once we are dead.

10. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nobody should hate anyone Atheist or Non-Atheist maybe one day all of us will get along.

1. Jerami profile image56
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely correct..

That is where we become confused and then get lost from where we should be,

Hate is self defeating,   no need for any other enemy.

We defeat ourselves when we go there.

11. profile image57
      sharma santoshposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what do you mean by atheist no one is atheist, every one here have faith in something some have in God and try to understand him by reading different scriptures of the world.
      Please ready any scripture from any religion than you will understand who is god.

better to start with Bhagvad Gita As it is you may get it in your country.

May lord bless you

2. profile image54
    cccfreeposted 13 years ago

who hates atheists? I think they're pretty cool...

TheBlondieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think they're pretty cool too haha smile but apparently we're the most hated minority, even below gays/lesbians, jews, muslims, literally everyone

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Atheism is the opposite side of the same coin of Christianity, and all sub-sects derived from the bible.

Depending on what Country you are in, also factors on whether or not, Atheism is a recognized religion, in and of, itself.

Atheism is classified under religion, because it's derived from the existence of religion. If religion didn't exist, then Atheism would have never been born.

Either way, both sides conflict in a manner, not easy to overcome.

2. profile image47
      ShortStoryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who hates atheists? Atheists, of course. That's the whole point.

3. HumanPerception profile image91
    HumanPerceptionposted 13 years ago

I'm a Christian and I certainly don'y hate atheists. I haven't really heard of anyone else in my area hating them either, a lot of people nowadays are atheists. In fact, my girlfriend is an atheist. smile

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't hate 'em. I hate that intangible thing called ignorance. Know some ignorant christian type folk also. A minister I know flipped out because I said water evaporates (REALLY!) I consider intolerance to be ignorant, and many atheists seem to be as intolerant as some christians. As to myself? I believe that the early church was following the wrong guys, so, tend to be classed with the atheists as blasphemers by most areas of the modern christian faith. That is why I don't capitalize christian, not because I am grammatically insensitive.

4. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Have I entered after the 'this is why your religion causes wars' post yet?

lol

Hate is a very strong word.

My goodness not agreeing with a fellow human being is hardly a reason to hate.

And I have to say (not in defence of critism) but why would you be worried about going to a place (Hell) that you dont beleive in anyway?

There are many Christians being persecuted right now ( witnessing in Communist lands),yet they dont express hate for anyone.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image59

kiwi, You  are absolutely correct. smile

2. topgunjager profile image59
      topgunjagerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In some people hating is a natural reaction when it comes to being lied to. I think Atheists are upset about believers because the christian belief is affecting the world in so many negative ways that it affects the way people live and what the people have to put up with. It is also to my understanding that Atheists get offended when the truth is being bent and twisted in so many ways that it might as well be a slap to somebody's face.

5. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I think there's a general misconception that atheists are lazy troublemakers. Some people actually believe that atheists just don't want to go to church. The odd thing is, the atheists that I know also happen to know more about world religions that the religious people I know.

I know people who post (or, more often than not, re-post) Christian messages on their Facebook pages every day who couldn't name 8 books of the Bible. They couldn't even tell me some basic facts about the life of Jesus as stated in the Bible other than what they know from Christmas and Easter services.

The proud ignorance that I see displayed every day by some of my fellow Americans is what made me start questioning my own faith in the first place. I saw people who delighted in the fact that they didn't know some of the basics of the religion they claimed to be a devout follower of. "It's ok to not know these things, because I have faith". That's ok when the question is "what is the meaning of life?", but when the question is about basic facts taught in Sunday school the ignorance was just too much for me to tolerate.

As I grew older, I began to see how this blind faith manifested itself in every day life. Why is it that atheists have lower teen pregnancy rates than Christians in the United States? Shouldn't the atheists be out having orgies every night, since all they care about is themselves and having fun? Why are atheists more likely to go to college? Isn't a further pursuit of knowledge a noble and "godly" goal?

I don't even mind that religious folks don't like me, as long as they don't try to make it official policy to discriminate against me. Don't force me to pray to your god. Don't force me to make an oath on your book. Don't use my tax money to put "In God We Trust" placards on every federal building in the country.

Agreed mate. I'm an atheist, but I love learning about religion - it absololutely fascinates me.

Religious sites are always extremely impressive and I think if religion leaves behind anything then it is the places of worship which will be most impressive.

I think this is where people tend to get atheism wrong; I'm atheist, but it doesn't mean I shut myself off from religion for the sheer hell of it. I've even got a couple of hubs on here aboute cargo cults ad a cathedral near where I live!

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
        I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've always been fascinated by cargo cults. For one, they show how easily a population can be fooled by what they see. Also, it's interesting to observe how a religion evolves when we know for a certainty that it's beliefs are wrong (well, unless Prince Philip really is a God).

He might not be a god, but he's certainly a legend! Who else in such a high place can get away with that level of political incorrectness?! I love it.

6. Thriller profile image60
    Thrillerposted 13 years ago

That's because some of the faithful are unsure about their beliefs and when they meet someone who is comfortable without need for any religion they can't take it as it seems perplexing to them to say the least. And the easiest way to react is through hate.

7. Pandoras Box profile image61
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Well, I live in the south. I wasn't all like "hey I'm an atheist" when we moved to this rural area, but since everybody is constantly urging you to come to their church, I soon told one woman whom I had become fairly close with. Our daughters were best friends.

Directly after I revealed to her that I didn't believe in her religion, and no, she and her pastor and her bible study group could not change my mind, everything changed. She told others as well, and I've been sitting here alone ever since.

Now I know what you guys are thinking. You guys are thinking I was a bitch to her about it, and I don't blame you for thinking that. But it was actually after that when I began to really develop the charming personality you see now.

I'm not bitter, I'm not angry, I understand that the stronger must overlook the sins of the weaker. I do know full well I did nothing wrong, and am hated for merely rejecting their religion and confessing to atheism. 

I can't claim what happened to me as a hate crime, can I? I can't add that to any statistics. It wasn't a crime, but I was wronged. Love and hate aren't feelings, they're actions. I was hatefully wronged.

I've been involved in the last year with some efforts to make the democrat party at least a presence within our county again. We have no illusions. Our aim is merely to open up the conversation. Places like this are isolated, incubated hell holes. If they could, they'd close the schools and run mexicans, gays, atheists, muslims, and catholics out of town.

Hard to believe, I know, but this is america.

Feeling all proud yet?

1. profile image0

I live in a small southern town. I'm sorry you are unhappy, but this is kind of what I'm talking about.  I don't think you were ostracized because you invoked the word atheism.  I have made it clear, in no uncertain terms, to anyone that thought I should go to church that it might happen if hell froze over. I didn't say atheist.  I just said no.  What had appeared to be friendships ceased. This has nothing to do with religion, except that it's a clique you chose not to join as I do. I had the same reaction to the women of the garden club when I laughed at the offfer to join.  That's just women.

Still denying reality, I see, indoctrination is strong in this one. smile

1. profile image0

I have asked you, as politely as possible, to stop saying that.

Please. If you believe me to be denying reality, explain what reality you can see here. Since you aren't here. You're there. Wherever there is. Which isn't here. So how would you know? smile

You are denying the reality of believers who ostracize and alienate those who do not share their religious beliefs.

Well, since you asked politely, I won't refer to the obvious cause of your lack of synthesis. smile

1. profile image0

Stop it Beelzedad. You can't take statements from two different posts like that. It's unfair. They didn't belong together. I try to be nice and what do I get?  Sorely mistreated it seems. smile

Mistreated? lol

1. profile image0

With you? Always. lol

Yes, I'm miles and miles away from you, yet mistreating you. Hilarious.

smile

2. Pandoras Box profile image61

Well, I wouldn't judge your experiences by mine. When you drift apart naturally, you still let your kid sleep over and take phone calls, and the PTA which formerly pestered you weekly doesn't suddenly have no need for you at all and when you run into folks in town they don't look awkward and treat you like a leper.

You can deny it, for whatever reason you choose, but I know what happened to me. I tried to deny it, because I just couldn't believe it, but it is what it is.

1. profile image0

Really? And you think it's because you used the word atheist? I honestly can't process that. How deep in the south do you live? The whole story you told sounds like something out of a movie.

1. Pandoras Box profile image61

I doubt I used the word atheist. I explained to her that I didn't believe, and couldn't believe based on everything I had studied and learned, and to please stop asking me to visit her church, because the truth was that I never would, I absolutely did not believe in the bible, and therefore my church-visiting days were over.

There was nothing dramatic about it, or about the following incidents. Nobody burned any crosses on my front lawn, or threw rocks through my windows. My kids do still have plenty of friends, and I have never been honest with anyone here since then, minus a few people recently met through a community facebook page, where one of us was told that we aren't welcome in this county. No shit. And that was just for expressing a democrat viewpoint.

Ironically, someone told me that up through the early 80's this was a democrat area. Then due to "white flight" from the city, all the local politicians changed parties to cater to their hate.

It's messed up. Anyways, no, not cause I used the term atheist, again I probably did not use that term. Because I firmly rejected her religion, and possibly because my rejection of her religion made her feel that I felt I was smarter than she.

This is a problem. Christians must think we're evil. If we even attempt to deal honestly with them, then we are found to be "wise in our own eyes" or "in league with the devil" or "elitists who think they're better than everyone else."

It's a problem, I do not know how to address, other than playing stupid. But I am too far beyond that now.

8. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 13 years ago

Cause it's naturall to rebel - see many religions raise their kids not to hate  yer not a supposed to hate - but all these so called christian's and catholics and stuff hate anything they can .....naturally defying their own God smile haha how's that one fer ya smile

9. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I'm really sorry for your troubles.  I think it's funny that you say the white flight from the city caused it.  you'd think it would be the other way around.  I've dealt with this mentality a lot over the years, I just never attributed it to religion.  I've called them a lot of things, just not christian.  I guess I need to pay more attention.  I just looked on line, there's an atheist meet up on Saturday.  I hate being around people I don't know, but maybe if I get my nerve up I'll go.  It would be interesting to talk to some one face to face in my community to see what their take on this whole thing is. I'd be horrified to learn anyone here has dealt with this.  It just seems so sad.

Well apparently we were more tied into Chattanooga politics than Atlanta politics, prior to the white flight. I did think it was just dumb rednecks until someone set me straight about that.

If you have a local atheist group, that's a good thing. It does mean your local society has room for everyone, if they have allowed an atheist group to establish itself.

Another thing about atheists is that they're not generally very organized at all. So if you have a local group of them, and in a small southern town, they must be of the exceptional sort. I'd def check them out.

Don't be sorry. That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

1. profile image0

Oh, it's not in my town..we're a bedroom community now. I don't think it's a big group anyway. The site said three atheists were planning to attend.

Two probably won't.

By the way, I guess I never directly responded to the point of this thread. Even here, I don't think we're the most hated minority. Probably just not enough of us to hate. We offer no threat. They just prefer to think we don't exist.

Ever wonder about moving to Europe?! I can't believe your story earlier. You're not writing from the 17th century, right?!

1. profile image0

Hey wags. I know you love your country, but the last time I was over that way I was in ireland. They're pretty religious over there. I was with my husband's family and the tension between the irish catholics and the american jehovah witnesses had me walking on eggshells the whole time I was with them..suffice it to say I saw a whole lot of the countryside and hardly any family while I was there. They're all wacked when it comes to their religions. No matter which side of the atlantic they live on.

I think Ireland, Portugal, Italy and Poland are the exceptions that probably prove the rule... I'd be surprised if any of those four are as "religious" as the United States.

It's not about loving my country (I don't regard Europe as my country) - it's about living the way you want to live and not being forced to conform to frankly archaic principles.

1. profile image0

Living the way you want to live is the american way. Don't think just because people are griping in these forums that they are actually being persecuted. It appears to be a growing phenomena here that every one that can't have their way, 100% of the time, gets bent out of shape about it. I do get it, but it's not a philosophy that reflects the freedom offered to those who choose to live it.

As to Europe,  last I heard several countries still automatically deduct a mandatory tithe for the church. There'd be another revolution here if they tried that rot on us. smile

The tithe is collected by the church in question from its members, not from any citizen. They've mainly been taken out of legislation - but even before that typically represented less than 1% of a person's income. I think Switzerland still has it... but then they don't need the money cos they're all loaded!

I was responding to Pandora's comment earlier. I'm not disparaging the USA here, incidentally - there's a lot they get right that we don't - but it is slightly baffling that in such a prosperous and educated country, religiousity is so high.

10. Maembe profile image60
    Maembeposted 13 years ago

I think it's pretty silly to say atheists are the most hated minority.  Look at all the disgusting, hateful rhetoric directed at Muslims and gay people.

I agree,guess the statement gets attention though.

2. dingdondingdon profile image61
      dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not to mention the disabled. Nobody even bothers to care about the oppression disabled people face, they just brush it under the carpet.

11. Eaglekiwi profile image75

In my society/community many Christians provide food for all kinds of people without predjudice.

Volunteer to serve the elderly.

Now I am not saying that 'only' Christians do good works,but I cannot accept that such initatives  are negative.

What about the organisations ,too many to list who serve communities and people who fall through the Welfare gaps?.

It is wrong to force anyones beliefs down anyones throat.

I, get annoyed too when an athiest wants to tell me there is nothing...no God..no after life...nothing...

Maybe we should have separate sandpits to play in lol

(I hope not)

1. Woman Of Courage profile image59

It's the same here in my community Kiwi. It is truly a blessing to be a part of helping others with food, clothing, etc. big_smile

We know. This is why your religion causes so many wars.

There is no god. Your majik book is nonsense. When you die - there is nothing. You are dead. No after life. None. Nonsense. No majik juju. Sorry. sad

If I thought there was nothing ,no purpose than Id check out now.

Oh wow how depressing that must be!

That is why Athiests must be so cranky and start wars.

I am not cranky - nor do I start wars.

There is no god.

And you say you would kill yourself if there was no god? How odd. Hardly rational, wouldn't you agree? But - I see now why you so desperately need to believe nonsense. Pity it causes so many fights huh?

There is no purpose but what you make for yourself.

Need to kill myself?? ,oh the paranoia can be quite overwhelming at times.

Dear me. Lying Kristians. lol Oh the lies can be quite overwhelming at times. lol

No - u dint sez u would "check out now" an that dint meen u would kill urself.

This would be why your religion causes so many conflicts. The lies. sad

Wot u meen "check out now" 'zakly?

No I said (read again)If I thought like an atheist (no hope etc)- might as well check out now...

Mark,plse keep up and quit the foolish jibberish.Were you not educated at a posh school hmm mercy! or should I say , Come on good fellow,do smarten up lol

1. profile image0

what makes you think atheists have no hope?  Atheists just don't hope for some fantasyland afterlife, that's all

I see - and what does "check out now" mean.

Dear me - sorry it upsets you that I had an education - seeing as you have reverted to Hillbilly speke.  This is why your religion causes so many fights. sad

You had an education? well whoop di do.Bet your English teacher is impressed lol

2. profile image0

life is for now, and to be made the most of now  - not holding onto some cinderella fantasy

3. dingdondingdon profile image61
      dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you really get annoyed just by someone stating their own belief? I mean, I do get annoyed when religious people look down on me for being Atheist, but a religious person simply saying "I believe in Jesus" or "I believe in Allah" doesn't annoy me.

4. Beelzedad profile image58

It is negative when the underlying motives behind those Christian organizations is t evangelize and gain converts. smile

12. Woman Of Courage profile image59
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

Atheists are not the most hated minority.

13. akuigla profile image59
    akuiglaposted 13 years ago

No,I dont think this is the case.
    An really good person,who respects other people,are kind to animals and all living creatures is actually who follows Gods rules.
    It is not necessary to be an believer to be a good person.
    Im cristian,but I go to church very seldom because of the scandals with children by priests.
    I feel that today churches are not formated by God will,but by will of some people throught the history.
    Every religion has a dark side.Non is completely peaceful.
    I personally believe in God, but God of good will and love to all!

14. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Aethists here, I think, are lovable creatures. Take Mark and Ernest for instance.  I think i have a good rapport with them (at least I think i do)

Me too ,deep down I know they love me tongue

15. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Not practising Christians BB ,does not mean they are Atheists.

1. profile image0

they tick they believe in god & go to a christmas church service once a year, but sleep around, get drunk all the time and are cruel to others... so they're not atheists, but you wouldn't consider them christians either?

16. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Education will enhance the truth,so long as its not a cranky depressed Professor teaching it wink

No - education is the death knell of your religion. LOL

"Reason is the enemy of faith."

You don't even accept scientific facts because you don't understand them. lol lol

2. Beelzedad profile image58

And yet, in the real world, education isn't enhancing your "truth" at all, is it?

And, if you actually sat and listened to a Professor, you would find they aren't cranky or depressed, except maybe the ones you saw on tv. smile

No, he was an Athiest and clearly depressed and unhappy. Not exactly about Religion ,just such a winy ,poor me sad man in his tone and his body language.

And, you saw him on tv. smile

Nope.

3. Pandoras Box profile image61

Then why is it that the church made knowledge the devil?

There have always been naysayers, rational people pointing out the foolishness and lies. We know this to be true just by reading the Bible. The people never believed. They had to be forced to believe, and the rational naysayers had to be marginalized and criminalized to keep the people from listening to them.

Only today, there ain't a damn thing believers can do about us, except for clamp their hands over their ears, squeeze their eyes shut and pray harder.

Some are not happy with this situation, and would truly like to see things changed. Anyone keeping a list of the christianity-based morality laws rethugs and teabaggers in America are pushing this year? Where's LMC, she's probably got one.

17. Rwritings profile image65
    Rwritingsposted 13 years ago

I don't believe that people who believe in God necesarily hate atheists. I believe in God and the fact that other people may not agree with that does not bother me.  Perhaps people who get upset with the challenges to their faith by Atheists have doubts about their faith to begin with and that is why they react like they do.     It could also be the smart alecky in-your-face bully attitude of some atheists.  Just like all religions and philosphies there are adherants who behave borishly.

1. Sembj profile image67
      Sembjposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good comment Rwritings - I agree that both atheists and those with religious beliefs each have an obligation to behave properly even when they want to challenge or argue with each other.

18. wizbitz profile image60
    wizbitzposted 13 years ago

I really think they are not the most hated, I never known a mass killing of atheist (correct me if I am wrong).

But I really think they are the one of the most misunderstood,
    Not all of them hates the christian beliefs (in fact I think many of them just don't care, they just hate it when some people keep insisting their wrong).

There are some theist that whenever they saw an atheist, they always label them as "enemy of their beliefs". So, that maybe the reason why religion causes so many fights.

(Of course not all people who said they believe in a creator, really believes in a creator ^ ^)

Ey, Peace here

wizbitz.

You make some good points.

Of course you are right ,I have met many people throughout my ife who dont share my beliefs ,or some do,but express it in other ways.

I am nobodys judge, but I think the world needs  more love.

Too much negativety out there.

Peace out smile

19. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Honest Question- why are atheists the most hated minority?

All humans should be respected whether they believe in a religion or they don't believe in one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)