"Golden age” of Spain: peaceful spread of Islam

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (58 posts)
  1. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Hi friends

Islam spread very peacefully in Europe as can be seen from the following account of the Wikipedia:

A major development in the history of Muslim Spain was the dynastic change in 750 in the Arab Caliphate, when an Ummayad Prince escaped the slaughter of his family in Damascus, fled to Cordoba in Spain, and created a new Islamic state in the area. This was the start of a distinctly Spanish Muslim society, where large Christian and Jewish populations coexisted with an increasing percentage of Muslims.

There are many stories of descendants of Visigothic chieftains and Roman counts whose families converted to Islam during this period. The at-first small Muslim elite continued to grow with converts, and with a few exceptions, rulers in Islamic Spain allowed Christians and Jews the right specified in the Koran to practice their own religions. While it was true that non Muslims suffered from political and taxation inequities, the Jewish and Christian people where allowed to practice their religions and culture.

The net result was, in those areas of Spain where Muslim rule lasted the longest, the creation of a society that was mostly Arabic-speaking because of the assimilation of native inhabitants, a process in some ways similar to the assimilation many years later of millions of immigrants to the United States into English-speaking culture.

The Islamic state centered in Cordoba ended up splintering into many smaller kingdoms (the so-called taifas). While Muslim Spain was fragmenting, the Christian kingdoms grew larger and stronger, and the balance of power shifted against the taifa kingdoms. The last Muslim kingdom of Granada in the south fell to Christian conquerors in 1492. In 1499, the remaining Muslim inhabitants were ordered to convert or leave (at the same time the Jews were expelled). Poorer Muslims (Moriscos) who could not afford to leave ended up converting to Catholic Christianity and hiding their Muslim practices, hiding from the Spanish Inquisition, until their presence was finally extinguished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_of_Islam

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

paarsurrey, these threads of yours are all better posted as a hub and not a forum thread.

Furthermore, perhaps you should do some of your own research, and thinking, and present this material in your own words instead of copying and pasting that which is already available on the Internet in somebody else's words.

You do have a brain, you can think for yourself.  Pasting what someone else has said makes you nothing more than an annoying spambot.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"In the 8th century, nearly all of the Iberian Peninsula was conquered (711–718) by Muslim armies (see Moors) from North Africa. These conquests were part of the expansion of the Umayyad Islamic Empire.[note 9] Only a number of areas in the mountainous north of the Iberian Peninsula managed to resist the initial invasion and they were the starters of the Reconquista. These areas roughly correspond to modern Asturias, Cantabria, Navarre, northern Aragon  and northern Catalonia.

Under Islam, Christians and Jews were recognised as "peoples of the book", and were free to practice their religion, but faced a number of mandatory discriminations and penalties as dhimmis.[15] Conversion to Islam proceeded at a steadily increasing pace. The muladies (Muslims of ethnic Iberian origin) are believed to have comprised the majority of the population of Al-Andalus by the end of the 10th century."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain#Muslim_Iberia

Lying is encouraged for Islam.........

Thanks you Usmanali for reminding us or the atrocities and wars to spread Islam. LOLOLOLO

1. profile image0

LOL!

2. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

Par bhai, maybe, we should change all these threads to:
    Not so peaceful (and rather overbearing) spread of Islam on Hubpages......roll

1. profile image0

"rather overbearing" I think is an understatement at this point o_O

1. myownworld profile image73
        myownworldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile (just being polite...)

3. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Coming soon to a Forum topic near you...

"The Peaceful Spread of Islam at the World Trade Centre"

big_smile now now... that's hitting below the belt...!

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

just wait for it... i can ALREADY see it coming...

…. And when he saw that peaceful pilgrims on board the plane only wanted to spread the word, the Christian pilot, not wanting then to enter into America, crashed into the building. 
        Soon thereafter, Americans in retaliation for this barbaric act voted to elect a President with an Islamic sounding name...

ok...that's enough to make a believer of me! wink

no compulsion

I'm a peaceful converted terrorist! wink

2. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To be fair there were Muslims who were not terrorists and who died when the World Trade Center was attacked. Even today not all Muslims agree with terrorist attacks on the West.

As for Cordoba, I have mentioned this city in another hub. It was a place of learning where scholars from everywhere were welcome. Yes I do believe that the general idea was to eventually convert Jews and Christians to Islam. Gathering intelligence in one form or another was seen as an important part of this plan.

On the bright side it can be said that through places like Cordoba scientific ideas from the Muslim world were introduced into the Christian world. Algebra comes from the Moors and it can be said that without algebra the Americans might not have landed a man on the moon in 1969.

The Muslims were the first people I know of to come up with the idea that some illnesses are air borne and so isolating people who have different illnesses is a good idea.

We use Arabic numerals every day of our lives. Counting to Five in Arabic numerals? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Pepper is derived from an Arab word and the spice was introduced to the West from the East.

It was through places like Cordoba that ancient Greek knowledge came back into the West.

Of course all this happened a long time ago. What some Muslims are doing in Egypt I find to be against the old Muslim beliefs and quite shocking. If Muslims want to get back the glory days then they need to sort out those among them treating Coptic Egyptian Christians badly. They also need to help sort out Muslim terrorists elsewhere.

Muslims are human beings like anyone else... there is good and bad in everyone. 

My point is that you have to be blind to ignore history, which shows that followers of every religion have committed atrocities, and that once they get arms and power, they have sought to spread their religious beliefs through force.   The same goes for atheists and those whose political philosophy (eg Stalin) rejected religion.

To say therefore that Islam (or any religion) spread peaceful from its origin, as the forum poster continually claims, is simply a lie.

1. Rod Marsden profile image67

I agree Greek One. Religions don't normally spread in a peaceful manner. There were times when Islam did but most of the time it was by force of arms. I suppose I am pointing out that Islam did have its good points in the past.

2. profile image50
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

About Islam; I would say it was peaceful from its roots. Muhammad in his life killed not even one person; nor he could ever imagine to kill a person for conversion to Islam. Just name one person he ever converted to Islam with force.

Thanks

Since you are such a huge fan of wikipedia, there you will find....

"...  and after eight years of fighting with the Meccan tribes, his (Muhammad) followers, who by then had grown to ten thousand, conquered Mecca. In 632,"

2. Rod Marsden profile image67

During his life Muhammad was involved in holy war. It could be argued that he was fighting for survival but he was still fighting and people were still being killed. Greek One spot on again.

2. profile image51
        bakerdozenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some misinformation in your posting. Algebra was already in existence pre Arabs from the Greek mathematician Diophantus and India etc. The supposed Arab thinkers were from different tribes, religions, races, cultures but the conquered could only express their scholarly work through the medium of the official language which was Arabic. That obviously puts a twist to this. What you called Arab numerals again originated in India as well and are now referred to as Indo-Arabic numerals. If I remember correctly the numerical system was already created or first seen in Babylon BC but the Indians later added the 0 to it but some sources say that the zero might have been used even earlier. I don't think the muslim terrorists are really a muslim problem for the reason that the majority of muslims see them as an existential threat as we do. It is a human problem that happens to have taken root in places where there is a vacuum of injustice maybe and justice is a global priority not some localised viewpoint in my way of thinking.

4. Greek One profile image64

Dearest Paarsurrey, please follow crmhaske's suggestion and do a little thinking and research on your own...

Any rational person will acknowledge that followers of just about every religious group have killed and committed atrocities against other religious groups (in addition to members of their own religion).

I am a Christian, yet I am able to acknowledge what evil Christians have done in the name of God...  why can't you do the same with regard to the followers of Islam??

Like I mentioned in a previous post (which you chose not to reply to), this should be easy for you to do since your own particular religious sect has been persecuted, and since your own ethnic language is Punjabi

1. profile image50

Hi friend Greek One

I don't defend Muslims; they might have done atrocities and cruelties against Muslims or the Non-Muslims "in the name of God"; I don't deny that; and that is condemnable. I only defend the roots Quran/Islam/Muhammad. Islam spread in the world peacefully.

Thanks

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

what?...this is news to me...how can a thing spread peacefully when it has been brought by waging war?...i can understand peaceful spread in china which has been limited bcoz it has been peaceful but in saudi , in persia , in spain ..it would be joke to say it was peaceful...only peaceful spread of religion the world has seen has been of Buddhism......rest religions had backing of weapons for their spread...if weapons were not there ..all religions might have stayed limited my friend..religion has served purpose of achieving political powers in ancient times..for some founders of religion themselves became political heads while for some founder's name was used laterly to get political powers...and power needed wars and war needed weapon and killing people..any religion which has had share of bloods of humans being spread means it has not been spread in peaceful way...

5. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

Let's forget the past for a moment - what do you have to say about the present times? How many Islamic countries in the world today have blasphemy laws in place to persecute minorities living in their lands?

If you are the majority, can't you even tolerate a small minority living in your land who believe in something else than you? They are sought to be coerced into accepting Islam by the threat of blasphemy laws.

While the west has a liberal view towards other faiths and cultures and has sought to welcome peoples from muslim countries without prejudice, the same can't be said of non-muslims living in muslim lands.

There are countless restrictions on worship in public, building of churches, etc. Why? There are obvious double standards at play here. If there is a burqa ban being contemplated, there is much hue and cry about freedoms and what have you, but what about the freedoms of non-muslims in muslim countries?

1. profile image50

Hi friend  Shil1978

I condemn such Muslim countries who have put restrictions on others; this if fact hampers peaceful spread of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.

Thanks

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

but why do u need to spread it at first place...keep it upto u ..let christian be christians , muslims be muslims , hindus be hindus and likewise..let us keep personal faith personal...why should there is any urge to try to spread ..there is no need of it because in zeal of spreading it ends up becoming clash where blood is spilled...what is more important ?...making a fellow human being who can been seen , heard and felt get killed for sake of someone who is not seen?..even if one believes in god , it is god's job to judge and not fellow humans..if one doesnot believe in god , that too is personal choice and not for others to make him do something he doesnot believe in doing...lets keep it simple...

1. profile image50

Hi friend pisean282311

Man is a social animal; it does not flourishes in isolation. Man has to share knowledge and experiences, that is how we progress. Expression of faith is laudable under UNO charter; so we share our ethical, moral and spiritual experiences without compulsion and harming anyone. It is good or humanity and peace.

Thanks

1. Beelzedad profile image59
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where do you get this nonsense from? Islam is not good and is destroying humanity like it's destroyed your mind. We don't progress or flourish under Islam, we wither and die. wink

Unfortunately Beelzedad  Islam in recent times had taken too many wrong turns.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One just needs to read the Quran and the Hadiths to see that humanity not only cannot progress under such tenets, it cannot even exist. wink

People of good will can sometimes rise above the religion they were born into. It has happened in the past. It may happen in the future.

2. profile image50

Hi friend Beelzedad

Humanity did progress and will folourish with the study of Quran; there is nothing in it which will hamper humanity or knowledges or freedom.

Thanks

1. profile image0

Only through the eyes of a person wearing rose coloured glasses.

2. profile image54
                    (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's the satirical copy of the Quran, re-written by SNL folks and presented on Saturday night with new guest hosts each week.

Perhaps, the third world countries in which Islam is most prolific would we find our answers on humanity, knowledge and freedoms. Saudi Arabia comes to mind...

6. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

You are usmanali, aren't you? He used to open up such threads as well. Here's one from the archives.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/12053#post198811

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here is another little quote from his older puppet.
      "Taliban is the political game plan of Zionist Jews, Zionist Christians, Zionist Hindus and Zionist Muslims to gain full control of the most important parts of the world, to sweep away the hurdles for the awaited Antichrist by Freemasons, New Conservatives and Zionists."

lol

1. profile image50

Hi friends

I don't talk about World Politics; I am only interested in the root sources. I don't like the blame game. I respect people of all religions, races, colors, languages and countries. I will accept reason and arguments from anybody and everybody, that is the human laguage.

Thanks

Are you denying that the above quote is your own words? I can get the whole thread for you if you prefer! lol

1. Shil1978 profile image87
            Shil1978posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think he doesn't remember his alter ego. He was strangely silent when I asked him whether he was usmanali, so I guess that says it all.

I wonder though why he felt the need to abandon his former self and decided to bandy about as this "paarsurrey" character.

1. SiddSingh profile image60
              SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just a new sheep's clothing for an old wolf.

Though the fangs shine now and then.

Fangs for that SS nicely put! lol

The Taliban were and are a nasty collection of sadists and misfits. Gee there's a Buddhist temple on our turf. It has been there for hundreds of years. We are Muslims, not Buddhists so let's blow it up. Screw the beauty in its architecture, it being carved out of stone and being so huge. Screw the history of it and what we might learn from it.

Taliban do not tolerate music unless it is holy music.

Taliban do not tolerate television at all.

Taliban do not tolerate women showing their faces in public or having a job or an education. Stoning those who blaspheme is still cool with them.

You might like to compare them with the Spanish Inquisition. Just as nuts, just as stupid and backward.

1. OmNaser profile image60
                    OmNaserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But Taliban do not represent Islam.

2. profile image50

Hi friend Shil1978

I am not Usmanali; I am not acquainted with any person named Usmanali,

Thanks

1. Shil1978 profile image87
                Shil1978posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you have a long lost twin then?

7. Greek One profile image64

And here is another webpage for you to review...

http://www.answering-islam.org/Authors/ … spread.htm

8. Greek One profile image64
  9. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

The fact that the OP has to use "peaceful" before Muslim in his signature reveals what he feels the word means unmodified.

It's like when auto repair shops name themselves "Honest Auto" or dental clinics call themselves "Painless Dental."  The adjective/adverb is an admission of the normal or the understood nature of the unmodified noun/verb.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hah! Good point.

Agreed.

10. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Hi friends

Please read the following about peaceful spread of Islam in Spain:

Europe

The history of Arab and Islamic rule in the Iberian peninsula is probably one of the most studied periods of European history, but the variety and quantity of writing has not escaped the prejudices of the authors. For centuries after the Arab conquest, European accounts of Arab rule in Iberia were negative, reflecting Christian insecurities generated by the wave of Arab victories. European points of view started changing with the Protestant Reformation, which resulted in new descriptions of the period of Islamic rule in Spain as a "golden age" (mostly as a reaction against Spain's militant Roman Catholicism after 1500).

The tide of Arab expansion after 630 rolled through North Africa up to Ceuta in present day Morocco. Their arrival coincided with a period of political weakness in the three centuries old kingdom established in the Iberian peninsula by the Germanic Visigoths, who had taken over the region after seven centuries of Roman rule. Seizing the opportunity, an Arab-led (but mostly Berber) army invaded in 711, and by 720 had conquered almost all of the peninsula. The Arab expansion pushed over the mountains into southern France, and for a short period Arabs controlled the old Visigothic province of Septimania (centered on present-day Narbonne). The Arab Caliphate was pushed back by Charles Martel (King of the Franks or French) at Poitiers, and Christian armies started pushing southwards over the mountains, until Charlemagne established in 801 the Spanish March (which stretched from Barcelona to present day Navarre).

A major development in the history of Muslim Spain was the dynastic change in 750 in the Arab Caliphate, when an Ummayad Prince escaped the slaughter of his family in Damascus, fled to Cordoba in Spain, and created a new Islamic state in the area. This was the start of a distinctly Spanish Muslim society, where large Christian and Jewish populations coexisted with an increasing percentage of Muslims. There are many stories of descendants of Visigothic chieftains and Roman counts whose families converted to Islam during this period. The at-first small Muslim elite continued to grow with converts, and with a few exceptions, rulers in Islamic Spain allowed Christians and Jews the right specified in the Koran to practice their own religions. While it was true that non Muslims suffered from political and taxation inequities, the Jewish and Christian people where allowed to practice their religions and culture. The net result was, in those areas of Spain where Muslim rule lasted the longest, the creation of a society that was mostly Arabic-speaking because of the assimilation of native inhabitants, a process in some ways similar to the assimilation many years later of millions of immigrants to the United States into English-speaking culture.

The Islamic state centered in Cordoba ended up splintering into many smaller kingdoms (the so-called taifas). While Muslim Spain was fragmenting, the Christian kingdoms grew larger and stronger, and the balance of power shifted against the taifa kingdoms. The last Muslim kingdom of Granada in the south fell to Christian conquerors in 1492. In 1499, the remaining Muslim inhabitants were ordered to convert or leave (at the same time the Jews were expelled). Poorer Muslims (Moriscos) who could not afford to leave ended up converting to Catholic Christianity and hiding their Muslim practices, hiding from the Spanish Inquisition, until their presence was finally extinguished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_of_Islam#Conversion

Thanks

11. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

Islam has never spread by peace, pass... we all know that.

Your attempts to white-wash the revisoinist leftist history of the day, to create your own confabullated history of islam, is really a waste of time, man.

The left has thier version of history (which is taught in every school in the USA now)... and of course the rest of us know the truth... and Islam continues to kick away in a hissy fit trying to rewrite that which has already been re-written by the left.

So... Shall I post the history of Islamic violence in Spain?...

Or would a link or two suffice?...

1. profile image54

Neither has Christianity, looks like you boys have much in common and much to discuss. smile

1. profile image50

Hi friends

Jesus , Moses, Krishna, Buddha and Muhammad were all peaceful. It were the deviated Skeptics in the garb of religionists who always attacked them and they have to defend their position.

Thanks

1. profile image54

It were?

Skeptics are deviates?

Why are you trying to pick a fight?

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes - all religionists are the same. Skeptics speak truth.

Thank you, Usmanali, for finally admitting your lies.

Peaceful atheist religion lover.

12. passionatelearnr profile image85
    passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

you don't have to give explanations.people who have negative view of islam  will continue to stick with them,you can't change their view so no use giving explanations.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Bakerdozen said "...I don't think (they) are really a Moslem problem...."
      Any extremist attitude, whatever the religious/political platform,  cannot represent majority of people and must be seen and addressed as a threat to ordinary people in some aspect of life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)