Stance On Civil Suits

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. aoiffe379 profile image60
    aoiffe379posted 13 years ago

There are Christian who do not believe in civil suits, that is taking a brother or sister to court. However, what would be your stance if a fellow 'Christian' was contracted in January 2009 to do a job and it is still incomplete? He has received two payments but obviously has not done any work. The person who was overseeing the job failed to do his job as well.The person who got the contract is a liar- a smooth talker who makes promises he does not keep. A relative said he never finishes a job.

The only way,I have been told , to get some action is through the court. This person plays the guitar in church but a relative said he has never made a profession of faith in Jesus.About a month ago he was scheduled to be ordained as a deacon but it was postponed.

For those who do not believe in taking a brother or sister in Christ to court, how would you resolve this situation?

2. Sab Oh profile image57
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

I find that they are always a bit too tight in the crotch

aoiffe379posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you being satirical,ironic or dumb...?The latter is showing too much.

1. Sab Oh profile image57
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whatever suits you

3. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

The Bible says not to take a brother or sister to court. Why take a brother before the law concerning matters between God, your brother and you?

1Co 6:4  If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.
    1Co 6:5  I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?
    1Co 6:6  But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers.
    1Co 6:7  Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?

How many times have you allowed yourself to be defrauded so that you can adhere to this text? Are you happy,thrilled delighted when someone defrauds you? Do you defraud others?  I am going down for the third time.One person got money and disappeared. Recently he preached a sermon called "Somebody Dropped The Ball" and I was hoping he would pick up the one with my money and return the money since he had not completed the work.But he smiled as if nothing had happened.

Another one could not show her receipts because it would have revealed her discounts. She wanted more money before she completed the job. The third individual looks you in the eye and lies through his teeth. He is full of promises but keeps none.

A sibling wants nothing to do with God and church people because of such a text which seems to uphold wrong instead of justice.In this text one is to be the victim and allow the criminal to go free! Is that truly the will of God who has death as the penalty for sin or wrongdoing?

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It makes no difference how I feel about it. It is according to the Word of God that one should handle the problem. The choice is yours to make.

It seems you wanted some to tell you to go ahead instead of searching for the right answer.

Yes, I have been defrauded before. I have never set foot in a courtroom against anyone in my life. If God cannot handle such small things, then He is not God at all.

The problem here is not needing the approval of others. i am in a predicament where I have lost money and the work was not done.. The person has been elusive - making promisesThe house cannot be sold in its present state and i am receiving no income from it. Worst of all, I am in danger of losing the house for which i am paying  the bank every month.The will my father left  [he was part owner] stipulates that the house and property must be maintained; otherwise,i lose the house. Although the Word of God tells me what to do, it does not tell the contractor his responsibility - the right thing for him to do. The message i am getting is that after giving the contractor 18 months to complete a job that should have taken 3-6 months, God does not want me to prosecute someone who has defrauded me. I am to be the victim and suffer in silence. God had 18 months to handle this matter. My brother does not bother with the Bible or church. I understand why. Maybe I need to dropout of church too and wait for God to handle this matter since I am not to take it to court.I would not be sharing this matter in a forum if he had handled this small thing.

1. profile image0
            SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Take him before the Church. That is God's way. After that then do whatever is necessary.

4. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

Take him to court, or cut your losses and learn the lesson not to trust him.

Your not going to get anything if you don't sue him. He knows it, and you do to.... deep down inside.

I would take it to the church council, maybe.

He can be removed from the guitar in the church. Everyone plays guitar, it won't be to hard to replace him.

I do plan court action but I am waiting for documentation[contract, receipts for payment] from the individual who was left to manage my affairs. He is a lawyer and I expected him to monitor the work. However, he never wanted me to have the job done. He was the one who made up the contract for me to sign and said that this person was better than the previous one as he had his own company and experience in the field.

This guitarist lives and attends church in another locale, but he returns to his home area to see family. I have told a pastor; and I will share the information with another pastor who knows the pastor at the church this person attends.

5. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

Have you threatened him with fire and brimstone yet? Better yet, have you just asked him what is taking so long? I'd sue him if that's what needed to be done.

I spoke with the individual on April 11,2010 when we attended the ordination service for a pastor. At the time, he said that he had some urgent business to complete and I should give him eleven days. After that time, he said he would provide receipts and photos to show how he used the money and the work he has completed. When I mentioned his name I was told the parents ate sour grapes and set the children teeth on edge. His father was a pastor, I was told; and I got a rundown on him.

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

well sounds like the person has a different belief system and is not very christian.  just because he attends a sermon and plays guitar doesn't tell me he has the same beliefs.  so take him to court because you wouldn't be suing a brother or sister of christ would you?  maybe talk to him and let him know his options.  he's taking advantage of the payor.

You are right. This experience has been difficult for a sibling who now see Christians as wolves in sheep clothing. He also questions how God a Righteous Judge can sit back and allow such activities. In two weeks it will be 18 months since he signed the contract and promised to complete the job efficiently. My sibling is interested in dealing with those who are unbelievers or do not subscribe to Christian teachings.

7. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 13 years ago

I'm not really religious, but...

If a person signs a contract to complete a project, and fails to do so even though he/she can complete it, but instead chooses not to for whatever reason, then they are breaking the contract. Since a sum of money has been paid to the person for the work, and the work is not complete, I would view that as theft. Then.. comes the whole "thou shalt not steal" right? I look at it like this, you order a product and it's supposed to be shipped to your house, but it never is even sent. You still paid the money already, but never received the product. I would call that stealing, wouldn't you?

Yes it is stealing. But some people thinks in terms of amount. Anything less than $50M or $100M is chicken feed.Worst of all is that some individuals get by with it so often, it seems as if it is a part of the game of life. I know someone who actually told me she did not have a need. She simply wanted to cheat the person out of something. Cheating people is what she has been doing and teaching to her children.

8. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

For any believer, the Bible is very clear about contracts and those who break them.
    Obedience to commandments is a contract. When you break those, the penalties are pretty clear.
    He broke his contract. He pays penalties for doing so. If you DON'T take him to court, you enable him to defraud more people, so at this point, you also have a civic responsibility to bring him to justice to prevent him from doing the same to others. Otherwise you become a silent accomplice to his actions, knowing he will do the same to others.

Thank you for the insight. He has defrauded others for when I mentioned his name, I got a history of his activities. A police officer with whom I spoke- asking questions about my options- said that he would be delighted to personally serve him the summons. Another person said he cannot help me unless I take civil action. Nobody seemed confident that I would receive a refund of my money or the work would be completed. In fact, many individuals feel that he will get jail time. But jail time does nothing for the loss and anguish of the deception and fraud.Jail does not necessarily reform individuals- just make them worse with a desire to seek revenge.Considering all his preys past and present, i doubt if he cares for anyone but himself.

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Believers are not only subject to the spiritual laws, but are still subject to laws of the land. Allowing him to continue his crimes will help no one. Being accountable for his actions should help him come to a place of true repentence.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are so right here. The Bible teaches that Christians are subject to the Law of the Land as well as the Law of the Biblical teachings. And just because someone claims to be a Christian and be in business or for any other action does not mean they are exempt from the law!!! If so, then all criminals would use this excuse and no one would ever pay for crimes.
        And as mentioned earlier...that person should be held accountable to their Church as well!

9. Csjun89 profile image59
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

You should take it to court

After all, if that fraudster commits a crime, he is taken to court, not to the church

Thanks. That is true.

10. Healthy Living Is profile image57
    Healthy Living Isposted 13 years ago

Go to court and win!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)