Do you think there were any great civilizations before 4,016 BC?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (116 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 13 years ago

Yes or no    first group reaches to five- wins

Dr. John Lightfoot, a 17th century Anglican clergyman. He estimated that Adam and Eve plus creation occurred during 4004 BCE

My vote Yes  No.1 I think the earth is older than 6016 years old and the reson why ....

1.Jericho in the Levant, Neolithic from around 8350 BC, arising from the earlier Epipaleolithic Natufian culture.
    Çatalhöyük in Turkey, 7500 BC
    Mehrgarh in South Asia, 7000 BC
    Göbekli Tepe in Turkey, ca. 9000 BC.
    Nevali Cori in Turkey, ca. 8000 BC.
    Circa 10,000 BC– Beginning of Jomon era in Japan
    Circa 10,000 BC– first traces of population in Randaberg, Norway
    Circa 10,000 BC– corresponds to the star configurations of this time period, but carbon dating suggest 3000BC Africa
    Circa 10,000 BC– Suggested earlier date for origin of Sphinx in Egypt Africa
    Circa 10,000 BC– Early sickle blades & grinding disappear, replaced by hunting, fishing and gathering peoples who use stone tools Egypt
    Circa 10,000 BC– Over a period of 50 years polar temperatures rise close to 60 degrees Antarctica
    Circa 10,000 BC– Cave sites for human habitation are used by the Caspian Sea Asia
    Circa 10,000 BC– The Jomon people of Japan use pottery, fish, hunt and gather acorns, nuts and edible seeds. 10k known sites. Japan
    Circa 10,000 BC– Pottery appears for the first time in Japan, similar pottery use not found in Near East till 3500 years later Asia
    Circa 10,000 BC– Three or more linguistic groups sharing a common political and cultural way of life. Mesopotamia
    Circa 10,000 BC– Sumerian and Semitic speaking peoples are part of this early grouping of peoples. Mesopotamia
    Circa 10,000 BC– Armenoid can be found from Hungary to Polynesia (many Islands). Mediterraneon in origin
    Circa 10,000 BC– Sumerian-Sematic myths and legends all point to their ancestral homeland as southern Mesopotamia.
    Circa 10,000 BC– People began to collect wild wheat and barley likely to make malt then beer Iraq Turkey Syria
    Circa 10,000 BC– Mesopotamia, Nile, Indus Valley, and Jomon is among the earliest pottery cultures of the world. Japan
    Circa 10,000 BC– Early evidence for pottery, usually associated with the rise of agriculture and sedentary living Korea
    Circa 10,000 BC– Clovis (11,500-12,500 BP) Folsom (10,500-11,000 BP), and Plano (8,000-10,500 BP) cultures, North America
    Circa 10,000 BC– Neolithic prehistoric statues were made, which were discovered in Nevali Cori and Göbekli Tepe near Urfa in modern-day eastern Turkey,
    Circa 10,000 BC– Azilian people occupied Southern France and Northern Spain. The Azilian or Painted Pebble culture is also found in Spain France Switzerland Belgium and Scotland
    Circa 10,000 BC– Lapps occupied northern Europe and intermarried with the peoples in Norway Finland Sweden and Russia
    Circa 10,000 BC– Magdalenian culture flourished in France with their cave paintings
    Sometime before 9000 BC– First stone structures at Jericho, built during the pre-agricultural Natufian culture period

YES- if the Earth is older than 6016 years old.

No-  if the Earth's plants, animals, humans and rock of ages all began 6016 years old

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

ofcourse earth is much older and so are humans...i think adam/eve is metaphor and not literal...also we cant read too much into time when earth began from bible..it is faith book not science book...

Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you a yes?

what kind of question is this?...even majority of christians barring minority 2-5% would believe that world is as young as 6k...when human history is so long obviously there would be many great civilizations in the process..

You would think so, yet almost half of America believe the whole planet is less than 10,000 years old.

you are joking...arent you?...

1. skyfire profile image81
                skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. He's not joking at all. There are Christians who preach 6k earth theory and rest of the creationism.

The greatest gift I would love to give an American,( if I could) is a passport.

I really do like Americans.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
                    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please, please! Pick me! Over here! HEY MISTER THROW ME SOMETHING!!!

LOL Sorry. That's a mardi gras thing.

I have seriously considered it, to be honest. Reckon I never would though. My husband and I talked about it when we get finished with the children, but besides my patriotism, I'd miss my family way too much.

Will still be nice to visit around, though.

2. profile image50
                  paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure they are wrong; Quran does not support it.

1. profile image0
                    jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who asked what is said in a copy book!!

3. profile image0
                  Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

didn't they come up with 6000k after some monk added up ages of people in the bible?

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

pisean

I know you want to yes, then Yes Wins

Remember just 500 years ago, most of the people in the world thought the earth was flat. Go where no man has gone, help prove the Bible creation origins has not roots.,

2. profile image50

They are wrong.

2. profile image50

Bible has no claim to be a science book; it is its sinful followers who think it is a science book; better they study science text books for such things.

2. profile image50

So; why to believe that there was no civilization before 4016 BC?

It is just an estimate of an Anglican clergyman; others are not bound by him and are free to have their own estimates.

Bible is not a good source to fix dates of the events; it is very poor in this aspect. The clergy can take things literally where the context states clearly it is only metaphorical; and the vice versa; after all they are sinful clergy.

Adam was the first person to receive Word of Revelation from the Creator-God; of course there were human beings before Adam and Eve; his advent was an epoch making event of man. The Truthful Religion does not stress on dates; it stresses on the ethical, moral and spiritual aspects of human life and explains it to make it purposeful.

paarsurrey

Question is: Is the World older than 6016

I am not sure how to sort your comments out, to either a yes or no. A religious vote would have strong merit.

So Far I have me -yes and Pr0metheus -yes,  almost half way to five

2 Yes
        0 No

1. profile image50

Your question does not pertain to religion proper; religion is not to obtain dates of the events.

World did exist before 6016; yes, it is true.

3   YES
            0   NO

Thank you

2. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

'if' ? LOL.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Bumble Town - NZ was found and foundered in the year 7777 BC and one of the founding fathers (although he's apparently gay) is still the mayor! yikes

4. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Cool question. I'm still waiting for someone to convince the egyptians to open that chamber at the base of the sphinx. I bet there's something in there to shed some light. smile

Please open up the chamber, quick!!!, being controlled by these mysteries for 1000s of years is driving us all nuts.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Trail Otter profile image60
      Trail Otterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to see what is in that chamber. I'd also like to get a look into the tomb of the first emperor of China.

1. profile image0

Somebody needs to put you and me in charge, already. smile

1. Trail Otter profile image60

I agree. Now would that be an elected position or do we just declare our authority? big_smile

1. profile image0

I say we just take over. Why wait for the inevitable outcome of an election? cool

Ok sounds good. Now to convince the rest of the planet....  cool

5. Trail Otter profile image60
    Trail Otterposted 13 years ago

We spoke about this in an archaeology class I took a few years ago. According to the theory, the Esrth is in its second "season". God created the Earth around 6000 years ago. Then the great flood hit destroying everything about 2000 years ago. The "current" Earth is only 4000 years old in that case. One piece of evidence supporters of this theory use is that records of written language only go back 4000 years. There is no evidence of a written language before that.

I would have to say that the Earth is much much older. There is evidence like fossils. Just because man didn't write anything down prior to 4000 years ago doesn't mean the Earth is only 4000 years old. Maybe man was busy. Maybe the early civilizations were full of procrastinists. Or they were just waiting for someone to invent a hubpages so they could write. big_smile

The city of UR Babylon started the first Language 5200 years ago and the Noah’s flood 4500 OR years ago I can’t tell by their records. All I know is 95% of the species who ever lived on earth are missing and their families must be very disappointed

I bet their picture was on the first milk carton, which was also lost  wink

They still have not reported Jesus to amnesty

6. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Men were created already knowing how to read and write - how else could they read God's stone tablets?

The problem was not lack of HP, however.  The first stone tablets were not only very difficult to produce (it took a team of oxen to carry one book) but the most of those that were made were thrown into a volcano (book burning does not work well on stone tablets).  A few were broken up and a small handful were placed into the ark of the covenant which is securely hidden in the national museum, never to be seen again.

In addition, all the cuneiform tablets were left out in the rain by Eve and destroyed.

Simple, really! big_smile

lol Maybe some of the cuneiform tablets were also used to balance an uneven table or couch. Would ruin them rather quick.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah - a big hole from a table leg on a clay tablet would tend to ruin the story line!

God would have made it magically reappear, don't you think?

Oh God, we don't know what we do, we bank on every word as truth

If those stone tablets with all the answer to the Universe and everything in it, are missing or totally disappeared.

We may be stupid forever

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We'll have to have a talk with Indiana Jones - I bet HE could find it again!

7. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 13 years ago

Ruins of large structures have been found on land that has been submerged for over 10,000 years.   Yes I do.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Pr0, long time no see. How you been? smile big_smile

Pr0metheus

Finally a YES

Thank you

8. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Castle, YES the Earth is older than 6000 years. It's even older than a couple of million years. lol

All Right Cagsil

4 Yes
      0 No

9. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 13 years ago

Haha yea it has been a while.  Ive been Workin my butt off for my company and producing mostly.  How've you been?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not bad. It's great to see you. I hope you been raking in the dough for the work you're doing. smile

1. Pr0metheus profile image58
        Pr0metheusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha yea I've been stopping by occasionally.  Starting to hub a bit more since my light show tuts aren't making me as much as they used to (granted they've gotten me thousands in free lights/events tickets + some minimal adsense).  I'll be around more often.   Job is paying the bills but it's got potential for huge payout so we'll see...

10. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I am constantly amazed at the complete ignorance of so many people that I have met in this world who have absolutely no idea on anything else in the world that is not directly relevant to their own day to day life.

I have traveled right through the States and taken the time to meet a wide cross section of people there and in other places on earth. I remember talking to an Amish family in Lincoln County PA. They could not fathom that life existed beyond their state. They did not believe that I had traveled over 14000 miles to be in their space.

If you travel, if you open your eyes and your minds, you have absolutely no reason to even waste your time on such a blind subject that you are speculating on here.

If you get off your bum and travel, you actually do yourself a favor and find out first hand how much you do not know.. instead of wasting life trying to show others how much you think you know!

Walk the African continent, visit the heart of Australia, as there you will find how truly insignificant this ignorant bliss is, when a 95 year old Aborigine lady shows you 10,000 years of recorded tribal history - In Their Language and bloodlines.

Believe me (which you will not, as it is contrary to your belief) - You know Nothing when what you believe you 'know' is measured off against All the knowledge and wisdom that is available to every living person who takes the time to learn - by getting off their bums and seeing it first hand. The experience that can be gained from meeting and listening to people from other cultures, who have No Reason to be pretentious, are Open Minded and prepared to show you their world.. you will understand the benefit of getting out there!

You will be humbled... perhaps that is why many won't do anything except speculate! Speculation is afterall, merely an excuse for not having the courage to learn the things you don't know - First Hand!

@OP... my reference to 'you' in this post is one of (people) in a general.

Pearldiver

Being a world traveler, it easy to relate to what you have posted

Interesting

Any (NO) people out there

2. profile image50

Wel said; it is informative.

11. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

Adam and Eve were immortal in the garden until they were kicked out. Who knows how long after creation they were in there. There is no way to conclude the age of the Earth based on the Biblical account of Genesis.
    I'm not sure how people come up with the age factor of ancient civilizations but it is a well known fact that carbon dating is an inconclusive source.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Be Fair... How old was that Silicon Implant that was found in the Snake house? hmm

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uuuh, Huh?

Onusonus

You gave one reason why you think the earth is about 6016 years old.

Are you a No ?

1. profile image0

No I don't think the Earth is that old, but I also don't believe there are civilizations which predate Adam and Eve.

All Right Onusonus

4 Yes
              1 No

Onusonus has stop a shut out, I wonder, out of half of Americans that believes the world is less than 10,000 years old, What percentage actually believes the earth is only 6016 years old?, Onusonus does.

1. profile image0

Let me clarify; It could be much older, but I don't think civilizations predate the estimated time of Adam and Eve.

Earth= very old

Mankind= 6000(give or take) years ago.

God made everything in six Days, the 7 th Day he rested.
                  God said- all my creation is perfect, then notice some marijuana, mmmmm.....

1. Druid Dude profile image61
                    Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The method generally employed in determining the age of earth through biblical texts is to count generations and the ages of the ancient patriarchs. Fourteen generations between most of the major occurrences. Very imperfect method. Most don't even know how to interpret what they are reading.
                         A recent archaelogical dig in S. Turkey has unearthed a major city, estimated to be twice the age of Sumer. The odd thing is, is that it is believed that the city was buried on PURPOSE!

2. profile image53
      passingthewordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is a yes
      I am a Christian and i know the Earth is very old, older the 6000 years. Lets see what the Bible says about this.

Genesis Ch 1 1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The word WAS translates in the Hebrew (haw-yaw) which means "To become" So Versus 2 should be read And the earth "became void.
      If it became Void there had to be something here that was destroyed.
      Psalms 104 talks about a flood that destroyed the earth and its inhabitance. This could not be Noah’s flood because Noah’s flood took months to recede. In psalms 104:7 God tells the water to recede and it receded immediately. It did not take months.
      In Genesis 1:28 God tells Adam to go and replenish the earth. If you are replenish something there had to be something there prior to this.

In 2 Corinthians 12:2 I talks about John Being Caught up to the 3rd heaven age (Revelation 21 where it talks about a new heaven and a new earth.) This is after the Satan is thrown into the pit.

So the First Heaven & earth age was when Satan tried to over throw God. That age was destroyed
      The second began with Adam.
      The 3rd will begin in the eternity when Satan is thrown into the lake of fire and heaven and earth is renew

1. superwags profile image66
        superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's a great idea to consult the bible on history. There are some very dodgy historical "facts" in there that don't make sense in real life.

The timing of the roman census to get jesus born in bethlehem, the existence of a king david etc.

Don't believe everything you read in iron aged myths...

1. profile image53

can you document that?

Which bit? Yes...

There was no census documented anywhere in the Roman empire for that year (excpet for in Luke); and in any case there's no reason why they'd be required to travel back to the family's place of origin.

King David did not exist, but is a later invention for the purposes of giving divine heritage to the united Judea and Israel (which are unlikely to have been united until much later in history). It's a nice story, but it aint true.

1. profile image53

why don't you think it is true. there is archaeological proof of the wars described in the bible. In matter of fact the bible is used a lot in archeology. Do you not agree.

The bible is used to look for archeological dig sites fairly regularly because it's a written record where very few others exist - many archeological dig sites correspond to the bible; quite a few don't. Unfortunately a lot of archeology brings into dispute the claims made by the people who ultimately scribed the bible.

The archeology suggests that King David did not exist, that Judea and Israel were not combined until much later than the bible claims, that the early Israelites were actually polytheists (they believed that god had a wife, for instance) and it shows that the Israelites did not come from Egypt and that according to the historical record they devolved their religion from the earlier Canaanites that the bible tries so hard to belittle.

1. profile image53

In 1993 (as told in the March/April 1994 issue of Biblical Archaeology Review), Avraham Biran and his team of archaeologists unearthed a piece of stone with fragments of writing on it. In the writings was the words "House of David" It was the first mention of David in ancient inscription outside the Bible. The fragment was found at Tel Dan which lies by the head waters of the jordan (define jordan) River, near Israel's northern border. The large piece of basalt was part of what must have been a large monumental inscription. It contains 13 lines, but no single line is complete. The surviving letters are clear, however. Line 9 contains the words "House of David". After the complete translation, it was determined that the fragment was part of a victory stela erected in Dan by an Aramean boasting a military victory over the House of David. Many questions are raised as well as many possibilities upon comparing the fragment with the Biblical history. For instance the victory of the Aramean would conflict with the episode in the Bible. However as BAR points out, there were probably many battles and not all were recorded in the Bible. We do know that Israel must have regained control of Dan. This find would perhaps seem simple and to the point, but that is far from the truth. The find began a debate in earnest.

As it is currently reconstructed, the inscription describes the defeat of both Joram, king of Israel, and Ahaziyahu, king of Judah, by a king of Aram-Damascus in the ninth century BCE. It reads in part:

Now the king of Israel entered formerly in the land in my father’s land; [but] Hadad made me myself king, and Hadad went in front of me; [and] I departed from [the] seven [ . . . ] of my kingdom; and I slew seve[nty ki]ngs, who harnessed thou[sands of cha]riots and thousands of horsemen. [And I killed Jo]ram, son of A[hab,] king of Israel, and [i] killed [Ahazi]yahu, son of [Joram, kin]g of the House of David; and I set [their towns into ruins ? . . . the ci]ties of their land into de[solation ? . . . ] . . . other and to overturn all their cities ? . . . and Jehu] [ru]led over Is[rael . . . ] siege upon [ . . . ]

Scholars have debated over the Tel Dan for the last 20 years. It paints a much more sketchy picture than you suggest (or the quote suggests, it's had some... work) - I urge you to look at the actual inscription and decide for yourself. It doesn't make a lot of sense writte as "House of David". This isn't to say that a lot of ancient history isn't sketchy - but the tel dan was inscribe 200 years after David's supposed death.

What's less open to interpretation is the lack of evidence in the archeological record. There are no historical artifacts from his reign or mentions of him in script. There's masses of evidence for people who were reigning Israel just 150 years later. Why the blank? There's also a lot of evidence for cultures living at the same time as David's reign; the Philistines for example, who are belittled continually by the bible, but left a far bigger dent in the record than whoever was in Israel and Judea at the same time - the two states were probably not combined until long after.

3. TheSloneGal profile image59
      TheSloneGalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Onusonusposted 2 weeks ago

"Adam and Eve were immortal in the garden until they were kicked out. Who knows how long after creation they were in there. There is no way to conclude the age of the Earth based on the Biblical account of Genesis.
      I'm not sure how people come up with the age factor of ancient civilizations but it is a well known fact that carbon dating is an inconclusive source."

If you read your bible it tells you how long Adam and Eve lived after they were booted from the garden.

I do believe that there were many great civilizations before then. We don't know what was before what we have found the earth is to old and has seen more things and creations then we will ever know she holds all of the answers we just don't know how to read them

1. TheSloneGal profile image59

The bible also tells how long they were there before they were sent away

1. TheSloneGal profile image59

My answer to this question is YES

12. profile image53
    passingthewordposted 13 years ago

I am a Christian and i know the Earth is very old, older the 6000 years. Lets see what the Bible says about this.

Genesis Ch 1 1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The word WAS translates in the Hebrew (haw-yaw) which means "To become" So Versus 2 should be read And the earth "became void.
    If it became Void there had to be something here that was destroyed.
    Psalms 104 talks about a flood that destroyed the earth and its inhabitance. This could not be Noah’s flood because Noah’s flood took months to recede. In psalms 104:7 God tells the water to recede and it receded immediately. It did not take months.
    In Genesis 1:28 God tells Adam to go and replenish the earth. If you are replenish something there had to be something there prior to this.

In 2 Corinthians 12:2 I talks about John Being Caught up to the 3rd heaven age (Revelation 21 where it talks about a new heaven and a new earth.) This is after the Satan is thrown into the pit. 

So the First Heaven & earth age was when Satan tried to over throw God. That age was destroyed
    The second began with Adam.
    The 3rd will begin in the eternity when Satan is thrown into the lake of fire and heaven and earth is renew

13. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I have been in this forum for two years and this is the first time I have said this to anyone who may be religious. 

You have read your bible well and have stated your case well. smile

Please vote guys and give a reason,

I do not want to play Holy God or Richard Dawkins.

14. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

none of these so called 'great' civilizations had T.V.....

therefore they were not civilized

The average person watches TV 28 hours a week
      You are more civilized to avoid watching most of TV.

If there were real devils, and Noah Ark on TV, I would most likely end up being a Christian.

15. superwags profile image66
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

Isn't it time we stopped bigging up these primitive people and refering to them as "great". Let's remember that ths was a time before microwavable food, TV and twenty20 cricket.

I mean I'm not being funny, but the acropolis doesn't even have a roof. Or walls. Crap.

Do we really care if anyone existed before the bible says so? They did nothing for us.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YEP !  that is how my grand child thinks also!

What diffrence does it make to her if WWII really happened or not!

OR the Civil war??    Who cares if a million people died to give us what we got?    It is ours and that is all that conts ??

Isn't it ???????       NO   
      It all was good and has to do with where we have ended up at.

I'm glad to hear you're agreeing with me - and your grandkid.

The civil war happened 400 years ago anyway and the WII definately exists, I bought one when it first came out, but I've never played with it.

Just for the record

The American Civil War began on April 12, 1861. Most consider Lee's surrender on April 9, 1865 the end of the war

Also

About 8000 B.C. the World’s population was about 5 million people almost 2000 years before God gave birth to earth and its population of 2 Adam and Eve.

For the record I was talking about a civil war that directly relates to me, not one that happened 2000 miles away across an ocean.

Do you ever look at a post and think, "is this guy is being facetious and trying to wind someone up. Can he actually think that WWII is the same as a nintendo games console? is he really critising the acropolis for not having a roof?"

You should look again at my posts, apply the above cynicism, then use it as a touchstone to assess whether any future posts are just a wind up or not.

You or Jerami did not address UK Civil War, easy to assume when they are war friends.

I don't understand?

Recent history has change since Bush claimed UK as their best friend because the oil. Canadian trades more with USA than all of Europe combine until our trades really sucked and we end up breaking our peace tradition anyways and join the war later.

OK, I'm still not really sure what that has to do with the price of fish, but hey-ho!

I deliberately misunderstood the guy's point in order to wind him up. It served him right for taking my post seriously in the first place.

2. profile image50

Humans existed before Adam and Eve; Adam was the first person to have direct convers with the Creator-God with a Message from Him for guidance of his people.
            There could be many Adams in different parts of the world; all human beings are not off springs of one Adam and Eve.

agreed that all human beings are not off springs of one adam and eve...but conversing with god is myth...because in 0.2 million year civilization if god conversed with adam or adams so later , either god is lousy or it is mere stories...

2. superwags profile image66

Don't you just think you're over-complicating things for religious purposes? Humans have been on this planet for a quarter of a million years - why leave it 98% of this timeline before getting into contact with Adam and Eve.

An odd decision on god's part, don't you think?

1. profile image50

I don't see any complications; Adam was a symbol of an epoch making turn in the human history; man through millions of years of evolution set in motion by the Creator-God, was now capable and thoght mature enought to receive direct Converse from the Creator-God.

This seems an exceptionally sophisticated metaphor for the people writing in the late bronze age. What else is a metaphor? King David almost certainly didn't exist; Jesus certainly wasn't born when the texts say he was; A great flood never happened; the creation of the world didn't happen anywhere like the bible says.

Are we to read all of these as metaphors, or are there certain elements of the bible we are meant to read as fact?

1. profile image53

Have you not read what i have shared above about creation?

2. profile image53

98% was not left out or what every %. It is all right there for you, as long as you read. The Bible is used to pull the people of this age to receiving Jesus as their Lord and savior. This is what brings salvation. everything else is secondary. But the answers you are looking for Superwags is in the bible. You just have to take the time and look.

I would reverse all that as everything is everything and salvation is a threat.

1. profile image53

no salvation is a promise take it or leave it. It's your choice.
                    Good luck to you man.

3. Castlepaloma profile image75

Each Religion wants to lead people to believe their Religion is the origin of the earth and all people. Yet not one religion can come close to connecting people's cultures and other earthlings worldwide and how it  connects them all together.

Bush must have had a hell of lot of hillbillies’ rednecks, hicks, Bible belt type and people who love to blow stuff up. In order to voted for Bush twice in America?

I can not assume yes or no anwsers from anyone about the Earth's beginning 4004 BC,

Most people on this thread have not given an anwers, Yet, looking forward to your anwser.

16. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

I didn't actually mean to comment. And I refuse to take the time to read the whole thread. But since I already commented, I'll venture.

Yes, older, (like duh), great civilizations pre 10,000, reckon I'll  take yer word for it. What else was I gonna say? I was gonna say somethin' else..

Well shoot I guess I wasn't.

17. Pandoras Box profile image60

Oh yeh, what pisean said. Page one, post 3ish. Adam and Eve a metaphor.

I think you're giving it too much credit.

Pandoras Box

Congratulation, you have won the human race a trip down Earth's memory lane. The Yes men and Women and older souls have won 5 to 1

The only No was not sure

Onusonus as of the latest, stated
      Let me clarify; it could be much older, but I don't think civilizations predate the estimated time of Adam and Eve. Earth= very old Mankind= 6000(give or take) years ago.

When it is written that God made everything in six Days, and the 7th Day he rested. Dose any one here fell Onusonus answer of No should be disqualified. Due to it is not written as the same in the Bible and as Onusonus views do not match

18. Pandoras Box profile image60

When was it written? No earlier than around 1000BC.

19. Pandoras Box profile image60

Or when is it written to have happened? Hmmm. I think it depends on who is doing the math.

20. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Remember the Australian people folks, 46,000 years of uninterrupted history. smile

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uninterrupted?

http://www.indigenousrights.net.au/images/pictures/i1088_m.jpg

21. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Do you think there were any great civilizations before 4,016 BC?

Yes, there could be.

Parr

About 8000 bc about 5 million people on earth agree with you'

1. profile image50

I don't get you. Please elaborate.

It has been well recorded in history back in 8000 B.C. there were 5 million people living on the earth at that time.

1. profile image50

You mean history could provide year-wise data of the human population.

I don't think so.

I think the period 8000 B.C. falls under the pre-historic period; please correct me if I am wrong.

History cannot be accurate for the pre-historic period; it is only a guess of the history people.

1. dingdondingdon profile image60
              dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, it must be fun to be able to just ignore facts when they don't jive with what you want to believe.

parr

Do you disgreemnt from my first thread post  showing 20 tribes or cilvilization about 10,000 years or older?

1. profile image50

Yes, I did agree that there could be tribes and civilisations before Adam/s.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)