How many gods are there?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image57
    jobswitchposted 13 years ago

Should all the religious leaders be shut up in a room and not let out until they agree on how many gods there are?

1. DoubleScorpion profile image76
      DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL...Great opening line...

The count of god, I guess, would depend on your definition of what is or is not a/the god. Just my opinion.

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jobs:
      There are as many "gods" as can be "imagined."
      Convince me that that isn't logical.
      Qwark

3. superwags profile image66
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a fantastically abrupt opening gambit. Yes, they should. Then they should be forced to agree on just one item of ridiculous headwear.

2. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

Just one.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which one is it? Zeus or Thor? smile

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Elohim ofcourse.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

How many gods are there?

I guess that would depend on how you define a "god" to begin with. If you're referencing anything within religion, then Jesus would have said it best "Ye Are All Gods".

Why? Because, the highest authority is self. We guide and control the path our life takes. No need for any other authority, once one realizes, knows(understands) and loves oneself.

Absolutely no rational reason for any other authority to exist. It comes down to individual responsibility and accountability, which must be derived from within self. Each person needs to be responsible and accountability to self for their actions.

The biggest question- How does one hold oneself accountable? This question was answered centuries ago, with a perceived notion that the individual doesn't have the capability to provide just accountability for self. Therefore, must be FORCED(made) to answer to a higher authority, which is actually dishonesty based.

4. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

Ask ten people to draw a brick,you get ten different bricks.Perception is subjective,there are 7 billion people on this planet.If half believe in God you'd have 3.5 billion Gods cause perception is subjective.Add in the pantheistic view and you'd have more gods than people.Add in"For have I not told ye that ye are All Gods"and the word God becomes the word god with only a punctuative meaning.God is a carrot that keeps us plodding along the path of spiritual evolution.Remove the carrot and mankind stagnates and eventually regresses to the point of neanderthals...which would certainly make dating easier...depending on how big your club is:)

5. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

How many gods are there?

Just one the Creator-God Allah YHWH; there cannot be more than one; the Univese is working in unified systems as its Creator is none else but ONE-TRUE-GOD.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How many gods are there?

None. What a silly notion. lol

6. Timothy Donnelly profile image60
    Timothy Donnellyposted 13 years ago

That is quite a loaded question, in my opinion; but you have managed to elicit a variety of humorous replies; some replies have even demonstrated an affinity to intelligent, albeit misinformed hypotheses (noting that an hypothesis is only a smidgen of application of a thesis).

It is peculiar though, that the God of the Bible speaks in parable rife with pun, for those who care to apply the witnesses into their own paradigm, at their level of grasping.

My lay-person opinion would be that there are plenty of Gods in the universe, with only One being supreme (and He may even have already a couple of close compatriots who are One in perfect agreement and purpose with Him.) The others would respectfully falling in a the line-up of shared, yet hierarchal arrangement, free to utilize their own powers to design their own worlds with the respect and adherence to the Most High God’s borders, and probably as well universal laws of what we know of physics, etc. Using this perception, for me, makes it easier to understand the awesome design of the heavens, the worlds within them, and our own potential for a never-ending progression within that structure.

Furthermore, it would follow that while there may quite well be many Gods and Masters for us to select and choose to obey, it would make to clearly see and believe that if we choose the wrong one FOR THIS WORLD, we would be unworthy of the blessings and providence that the God in charge of this world would grant to us in mortality, and then in the after-life existence of our spirits and promised resurrection of our souls (body and spirit reunited). After all, if we do not inherit the kingdom prepared for us by the correct and presiding God of this existence, there is also plenty of space in the universe to be cast out into, wouldn’t you say?

1. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Short of rational and reasonable arguments the atheists are customary to hide behind ridicule and derision.

1. Timothy Donnelly profile image60
        Timothy Donnellyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I posted three hours ago and you are the only one so far that has replied to my comment, thank you for that.
        I figured I would give the "rationalist" nay-sayers and intelligent but uncertain individuals time to consider a response, so I was busy with my other work (job search), and yet there is still only you.
        I guess I WIN. smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course Paar was the only one to respond to your post. Why? Because Paar is of Islam. He enjoys conflict between religions and love to make his presence known about his own religion.

As far as your post is concerned, I read it and had nothing to say about it, but since you brought it up, I figured I would at least let you know that I did actually read your post, but found it of no value, that was not worth responding to.

Hope you don't think you won anything, just because no responded to your post, except for one person. Since only Paar responded to your post, it shows me that the thinkers who watch the forums, found your post of no value as I did. Therefore, again you were left with the self-serving of Paar. lol

1. Timothy Donnelly profile image60
            Timothy Donnellyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil, as you go around calling yourself, thank you for your reply and demonstration of rhetoric, which in my sense, highlights your position of questionable philosophical (I won’t say Theological) conclusion, societal respect, and drive. Nevertheless, I owe you some recognition for your time spent considering my answer to this forum’s question, and your feeble redress and come back to my opinion you only care to regard as one with “no value”, whilst replying regularly to other messages everywhere of , I’m sure you would think, much greater merit and intrinsic value.

7. alanlsg profile image71
    alanlsgposted 13 years ago

Their is only one God and no matter who you are that is it.

There are countless religions but as all are man made then all are flawed as is man.

Man is fallible therefore all religions created by man are also fallible but amazingly the major religions all accept there is only one God so they got that bit right.

1. profile image50

There is only one God.

Thanks for accepting it.

lol lol

1. profile image50

Thanks for you input though

1. alanlsg profile image71
            alanlsgposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome Paarsurrey and have a great week and may your God go with you

1. profile image50

Nice of you.

2. Cagsil profile image70

You require a crutch to live your life and guidance from an external source. How sad. hmm

No crutch and no outside force to live my life or for guidance but thanks for your input.

Based on what I see around me in the world, the universe, in the smallest item to the largest there is no doubt in my mind that there is more to humanity and all that we see, and if that is what we call God, then I for one have faith in that concept.

lol lol
                Too bad you really lack understanding of your own actions. It's a damn shame. sad

Hi Cagsil

Please go to www.aspirationalattainment.co.uk and download one FREE COPY on me and you will see that I have plenty of understanding of actions and also had a great mentor to whom the book is dedicated.

Thank you but no thank you.

The basic foundation requires no god, regardless of what you would like to believe. But, nice try. lol

2. profile image50

Atheists are confused people; they always ridicule as they don't have any truthful and rational arguments to support them; atheism supends in the air. Don't mind them , please.

Is that your twisted way to insult those who don't believe as you do. How nice of you. It shows you are exactly as your faith believes.

Btw- I'm not an Atheist. Get it straight would you. Not ALL non-believer are Atheists.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)