The Giggle Factor

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)
  1. emrldphx profile image60
    emrldphxposted 12 years ago

People often laugh at the idea of spirit, God, or any kind of paranormal topics. I would like you to consider some examples from Michio Kaku, a leading theoretical physicist.

I included two examples for a reason. The first example is something that was giggled about, but later shown to be true. The second is one that is giggled about currently.

It's always the same. There are always those who think they know what can't be, even though there is no way to determine what can't be.

In fact, it only shows the power of arrogance for a person, who has been alive for, probably, less than 100 years, to claim they know enough about a universe that is 14 billion years old, to know what can't possibly exist.

So maybe the next time you hear an idea that you think is worthy of the 'giggle factor', instead you will keep an open mind to the possibilities of a universe that is at least 140 million times older than you are.

And in case you don't realize how big of a number that is, search google for '1 million digits pi', find one of the websites that have that listed, copy it, and paste it into a text editor 140 times.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Should we all giggle at the links? They do look a little odd... big_smile

2. profile image49
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this
    3. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who cares what Michio Kaku has to say? He's a sensationalist who gets tv ratings to sells books. He's done nothing of any import.

Are you still trying to get people to believe your personal fantasies? lol

emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1 - No matter who says it, the principle is true. There have always been ridiculous ideas that people laugh at, which are later proven to be true. It's been that way about flat earth, earth at the center of the universe, and who knows how many other topics, in man's history.

2 - Because someone enjoys explaining advanced scientific topics and theories to the general community makes them a sensationalist? He's a man dedicated to science, and passionate enough about it to want to share it in a way that the public have easy access to ideas.

3 - Yeah, he's done nothing of any import. It's not like he co-authored the first field-form papers on string theory, or had any scientific papers published.

http://publish.aps.org/search/query?&am … page%5D=25

Oh wait... he does do research. Hmm...

You just don't like the topic because lol is one of your favorite responses to an idea you don't agree with.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

And, what have seen there exactly? Ignorant believers laughing at people with realistic ideas backed with evidence.

lol No, he sensationalizes scientific topics for ratings.

And, how is any of that important or relevant to science. String theory has no evidence, it's just math at this point.

"And what have seen there exactly?" ? What are you asking? You're missing either the subject, the object, or both, in your sentence.

You don't follow the concept far enough back. For these ideas, there was always someone who proposed it first, without any evidence. Those ideas were always laughed at. People laugh at what they think is ridiculous, but that has nothing to do with its validity.

Fine, that's your opinion of him. Personally, I know a lot of people who take more interest in science due to guys like him that try and simplify things and present them to the public. You don't like him, others do. Maybe science just isn't exciting to you, so you think anyone excited about it is a sensationalist.

Even if he were, you are such a fan of logic, you know that attacking the person rather than the idea is a fallacy, right?

Ok, so by your opinion, theories without evidence are worthless?

Most of our advancements started as theories with no evidence. Actually, that's not quite true. The starting evidence for any theory is the result of an experiment. That evidence doesn't prove the theory, but it opens up the possibility for it.

If all scientists thought as you do, nobody would do any research, because they didn't have any evidence to justify their theories.

It's not like relativity started off as math... oh wait, it did.

When their claims are claims of magic that aren't grounded in reality have never been shown to be valid.

His sensationalism has nothing to do with my interest of science. He wants ratings, that's the bottom line. If you like tv personalities that are into getting ratings, that's your thing, not mine.

Even if he were, you are such a fan of logic, you know that attacking the person rather than the idea is a fallacy, right?

No, theories based on magic are worthless.

Sorry, but scientists aren't stupid and can easily see through your charade of trying to pull the wool over their eyes with magical theories.

I know how you are thinking, but you aren't thinking of this objectively. You have to put yourself back before you know the outcome.

You are thinking that there were two types of claims:

1 - Claims that were laughed at, yet were based on reality. Those can be proven to be valid.
                2 - Claims that were laughed at, yet were not based on reality. Those have never been proven to be valid.

Your definition of 'based on reality' depends on whether or not the claim is proven. In other words, you are defining the type of claim by the outcome that comes after. Exactly why I said you aren't taking yourself back far enough. There have been claims proven true and false that came about the same way: trying to explain the results of an experiment.

There have always been people to laugh at claims. You are one of those people.

Even worse, you laugh at beliefs. Beliefs are personal, and they don't define reality. What that means is, your beliefs about what is ridiculous don't define reality. Yet, you act like they do.
                He wants ratings... sure, anyone who goes on TV wants ratings. Anyone who writes a book wants it read. Anyone who sells a product wants people to buy it.

So, every scientist who ever wrote a book is deceitful, every salesman is deceitful... you're still attacking the character of a man(who actually does research) because you don't agree with what he said.

So what makes a theory based off of magic? You say his theories are worthless, because they are based off of magic. Before that, you said his theories are just based off of math... so, math is magic?

Seriously, do you even pay attention what you are posting from one post to the next?

Haha, what wool am I pulling over scientists' eyes? Just as any good scientist, I know that all experimentation should be done without prejudice. You want evidence to justify research, even though research is what discovers the evidence we base truth off of.

And, that's what I laugh at because folks like yourself want the rest of us to believe your personal beliefs are reality.

That is yet another fallacy, look it up.

Notice how you put words in mouth all the time? Where did I say that about Kaku? Fallacies.

Your nonsense about spirits, of course.

No, we state our beliefs as beliefs and you laugh. You do so because, in your opinion, they are false, so the reality must be that they are false. YOU are the one wanting everyone else to believe that your beliefs are reality. You don't even realize how hypocritical your statement was?

If you want to talk about fallacy the burden of proof is on you. I know you don't understand them, you just like to say them to look smart.

Nope, didn't put words in your mouth. I asked you about his theories, you said they are worthless cause they are just based off math. I asked you again about his theories and you said they are worthless because they are based off magic.

If I'm wrong, then you didn't understand the subject of my arguments.

How am I pulling my 'nonsense' over scientist's eyes?

2. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

in lamens terms: its easy to laugh at something thats unproven until it is revealed as proven!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)