How do ATHEISTS think the universe was formed?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (72 posts)
  1. janesix profile image62
    janesixposted 12 years ago

Please dont say"the Big Bang" or some other general scientific theory.id like to hear it in your own words.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What does atheism have to do with it? Those are scientific theories, not atheist theories.

janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am looking for a non religious answer.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't understand. Atheists simply don't believe in a god.

Is "Yoga" the correct answer?

Why do you believe there was a time when the universe did not exist?

The Bible?

As ive said before, i dont believe in any theories for the beginning of the universe, religious or scientific.

None of them make sense.

3. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not atheist...But...my answer is...I don't know...

I am not really concerned with how it got here but where it is heading...I am concerned with, will this planet still support life for my children and grandchildren, etc with the way we are currently doing things...Will Population overrun food source...air sources...drinking water sources...things like that...

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
        Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont know why you would wory about things like that. This world will not sustain life forever and like other species, we WILL go extinct.

Seems like a waste to sit around worrying about the inevitable.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
          DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say I worried...I said I was concerned with...

And I know that we will eventually go the way of the DODO..But why help hurry it along. smile

4. FindingSaturday profile image61
      FindingSaturdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe that there was a creator for our universe, but I don't think this creator carries the characteristics typically associated with the Christian God (all-knowing, all-present, all-good).  For example, I am the creator of these words, but it does not logically follow that because I am capable of designing them that I am all-knowing, all-present and all-good.  With that being said, I will answer your question about how I think the universe was formed.  I believe that an intelligent being, much more evolved than we are, created us using technology that we aren't capable of imagining at this point in the growth of our species.  I would go further out on a limb and say that our universe is cyclical, going through periods of contraction and expansion (big bang).  Could it be possible that our creator(s) periodically refine their creation through this cycle in order to improve on their original design?  I'm not sure that I can condense my ideas enough to fit into this little box, but that's my basic answer to your question.

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pray, from what this 'more evolved being' evolved?
        If it is evolved then there should be a simpler being before.

1. FindingSaturday profile image61

Oh no, I just committed the chicken or the egg fallacy. sad  We would have to then consider then, regardless of "what" started the chain reaction that became our universe, what came before that....and before that....and before that.  Unfortunately, I don't think we'll have the technology in our lifetimes to gather the knowledge we would need about the universe to discover definitive proof of God's existence or non-existence.  The worse news is that we may never know.   We have 4 options - God exists and we believe in him, God exists and we don't believe in Him, God doesn't exist and we believe in him, or God doesn't exist and we don't believe in him.  For each option there are consequences, but if (with the 50/50 chance given) God doesn't exist and there is no Heaven, there is the possibility that there is nothing so we would never know anyway.

1. profile image0

What about the possibility that god does not exist and we don't believe whoever says god exist?
            Since we are only sure that the world exists and Since no human has seen matter spontaneously disappearing can't we just assume there never was a beginning and hence there never was a creator?

This is a tricky point for me and I have to admit I'm undecided.  I could argue the point either way.  Either time is a totally human concept and doesn't even apply in this situation (the beginning of the universe) or if something begins we have to assume that a force, even if it's just some crazy coincidental bumping of atoms had to set the wheels in motion.

1. profile image0

So in the first case there is no beginning so no creator.
                In the second case there was already something, though it is irrelevant what it was, so again no true beginning, for a creator.

So - there is only one possible god according to you?

No, I think the possibilities are endless as to the nature of whatever created us.  For this particular discussion I was using the Christian God as an example for a point.  All of the religions of the world hold equal weight to me.  Without proof one way or another, any of them could be right, not just Christianity.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

SO the 50/50 thing doesn't really work - does it?

Without proof - there is an infinite number of possible gods. And in fact the odds are

God/no god - 50/50

One particular god existing infinity:1

So the Christian god is infinitely improbable in that case?

I think 50/50 only applies if the type of God discussed is limited to the Christian God.  Of course, since more than one option exists for which God/s to believe in, your odds are spot on.  Thank you so much for putting it that way.  You made my day.

My pleasure. My religious friends who take Pascal's wager don't like it when I point out the real odds to them, of course. Believing in the Christian god is just too much of a long shot for me. big_smile

2. mischeviousme profile image61
        mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who's to say the universe wasn't here first and that God isn't just a natural part of it? Or... Who's to say that God isn't just a rationalization, an attempt to understand what was so hard to understand then?

3. A Troubled Man profile image58

You can easily fit your answer into one tiny phrase... Goddunit. lol

5. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not a bad question, but they may like it better if you asked it like, "How did the universe come into being..." since we know it did come into being at one point, based on science.  It has not always been.  The "formed" part of the question, whether or not it was, may be distracting to some maybe as it suggests an intelligence doing something.

Or another question may be, what could possibly account for something (the universe we see) coming into being, and taking all the steps necessary to get to where we are, that we can even ponder it, ask questions of it? 

Scientifically, we know it came into being, and we have no evidences for thinking there was anything before this universe.  We do observe intelligence and complexity that we can't duplicate, even being the most intelligent of life forms.  Can something that is not intelligent, set something like what we observe into motion, especially when there wasn't even the "elements" in place? 

Do we see anything in science explain that?  Where do these evidences lead, if we stay scientific and don't rule anything out in advance?  I have seen at least Dawkins kind of think about such things when put such ways, though it wasn't comfortable for him.

Atheism and humanism doesn't answer it, nor does physicalism or materialism.  What could "get it done?" We do know its here.

What a bunch of lies and misinformation.

No wonder your religion causes so many fights. sad

1. PhoenixV profile image63
          PhoenixVposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it has much to do with information. Like as in how some vertebrates have the ability to process information adequately. We have nervous systems that use electrochemical processes that send information that our brains interpret, like pain or temperature. I don't think we are actually "feeling cold or pain" it's just an interpretation of the electrochemical feedback. The reason I use that example of information is that it is being sent and received at such a minute level and even someone with the minimum amount of ability can receive that stimuli; despite the probable inability to interpret the information adequately.

If reality is somewhat finite, I believe that reality could be considered just- information. I think that as humans we have a tendency to personalize too much in that we could consider information as true-false-noise, whereas it probably is just "information" period. For me, information suggests intelligence.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image84

Information, that our own intelligence cannot duplicate even with our science and technology today, indeed does suggest intelligence.  It cannot be otherwise, which would be to side with illogic.  We as humans can't do it, but we are told we are stupid if we don't buy the idea that non human intelligence COULD do it.  Illogical and unreasonable.

Your very next post.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84

What exactly did I lie about, and/or what did I say that you find me to be misinformed?  If I did indeed lie or share misinformation, I would like to know.  I don't claim to know everything, and could be in error.  Thanks.

In the meantime, we do see intelligent beings (humanity) creating things that nature cannot do on its own.  Yet, our very intelligence, cannot begin to duplicate the complexities we find in nature, and its not for lack of trying almost feverishly, daily by scientists world over. 

Are these observably true facts, meant to be clues to us?

3. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then that settles it.  The only answer is that God, through is son Jesus Christ, created the universe.

2. janesix profile image62

I knew you guys wouldnt even try.

Because you dont know.

Of course we dont know. Nobody knows. I'm not going to pretend I know because that would just be wrong.

What is wrong with admitting that you dont know? I'm just being honest.

Nothing is wrong with admitting you dont know.

My issue is with those who claim the universe started with the big bang or othet scientific theories

Most likely because you don't understand those theories or the evidence that supports them.

You can keep on insulting my intelligence. Ok.

If that makes you feel good, insult away.it doesnt bother me.

Are you going to answer the question?

Maybe you could explain quantum mechanics to us - as you claim a good understanding of that? Then you could explain why Yoga is not a good enough answer to yer kwestion.

What does yoga have to do with how the universe came into being?

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So, because you can't cannot understand the thought processes and math used to compose these type theories, you are concluding they are wrong?  tongue

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

You are so cute with your derogatory comments and insults.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

You seem sorta blue yourself.  lol  But seriously, you didn't answer my question, did you?  tongue

I understand the basic theories.

Now are you going to answer MY question?

1. Druid Dude profile image61
                  Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So...everybody is wrong accept for Mark. The eternal universe according to Mark has a pretty cool ring to it. Could catch on. Ever thought of doing an L.Ron Hubbard act?

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

I believe Jesus's grandfather made the universe just to spite his wife.  But that's just me. tongue

3. oceansnsunsets profile image84

I believe in the big bang, or something like it.   Science shows it did come into being at some point.  The big bang is a way to describe that.  Without sounding too cheesy, one way it has been put is, that you need a "big banger" for a big bang.  Science, not having a disconnect with God.  IF there is a God, AND he is the creator, then the science we see in the world around us isn't going to contradict that truth of God.  I don't see a problem with the big bang.  Time has been passing since.  From what I understand, the universe (as we know it) isn't eternal as we know it, and all sides can agree on that.  From the humanist to the devout Christian, it lines up with science that this all had a beginning and is going to have an end in the future.

Correct. We don't know. We simply don't believe in a god.

You are the one claiming the Universe was formed. So - you know then? You know there was a time when the Universe was NOT formed? LOLOLOL

The universe wasnt formed?

Maybe youre saying the universe always existed?

Either way, there is still no reasonable answer for its existence

So - the Universe WAS formed? Wow - I am amazed at the stuff you know.

How do you know all this stuff? The Bible?

Why do you keep mentioning the bible?

Why not? That is where you get your majik from isn't it?

I am not a christian

2. jacharless profile image72
          jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know, Jane, this is probably the largest, muted, response by science. Even science agrees, to a larger degree, that the very existence of the universe does not fit with its existence. Its very existence defies that existence. The more they view the non-optic world, using many kinds of mechanics/technology, the more it doesn't really make sense that the universe exists the way it does.

How intriguing that two completely different units, called subatomic particles, can collide, form an entirely different unit, and they themselves dissolve into 'thin air' as if they never were. This instance happens constantly, at 'speeds' unimaginable, yet, despite such constant changes in the position/existence/visibility of these units, the universe exists -and is believed to be increasing/decreasing simultaneously -some might apply mystics words like Om, Pneuma, Ruach meaning breath, breathing.

But, the most interesting thing is nearly all Theos application (meaning by sensationalism or science) lean toward precisely the same way the universe came to be. Mystic says: "He Said and it was" while science says "Bang! and it was."
          Could both be correct; both incorrect; both partially correct?

James.

If universes don't just happen on their own, then more might be going on.  In our own human history, we haven't ever seen anything like a universe just happen, but its not for lack of looking. 

It is normal for humans to want to understand then, what might have happened...when there is nothing, then something that amounts to a universe eventually.  Explanations of what is a sufficient cause then arise naturally I think.  The things offered up ought to be scrutinized, but fairly.  (Assuming knowing the truth of things is the goal.  I am pretty convinced now, that not all want the truth of things.)

3. janesix profile image62

Relying on scientists and cosmologists to do your thinking for you is mo better than relying on religion.

lol In other words, you just want us to make up something.

Absolutely not. I want to know how you think the universe formed, if you dont think it was cteated.

4. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Hiccup

5. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

You don't seem to either. So you are accepting it on faith.

I accept a lot of things on faith

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not sure whatsa goin' on, but approaching the forum from my homepage, my comment was inresponse to someone else. Taken out of context, it wasn't meant for you, Jane. Here is my theory of the creation: David Copperfield, Chris Angel and Harry Houdini were hangin' around in the ether one day, when Chris said to Harry and David, "Watch this!" he reached down his throat, grabbed his butt, pulling really hard, and POOF! Here we are.

Lol...at least i got some sort of answer:)

6. janesix profile image62

See that none of you will atempt to answer my question. While i shouldnt be surprised, i actually am.

Lots of people answered your question. "I dont know" is a valid and honest answer.

Yes i guess youre right

I love being right smile

2. profile image0

What is this "universe" that is formed?

7. janesix profile image62

Hubpages is boring today.

Im going back to the Day Room to eat my checkers.

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
      BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or any other day when the village atheists start with the babble-on.

Nothing comes from nothing and results in nothing. That sums up the philosophy of an atheist. It's not purple haze all in their brain. It's nothing.

So do you prefer the black or red checkers?

Odd. You seem to think that not believing garbage is a "philosophy" - and need to make up nonsense and lies to describe it.

This would be why your religion causes so many fights and so much ill will.

2. FindingSaturday profile image61

I could be wrong, but isn't an atheist just a person that doesn't believe in God?  Is it so bad to require objective evidence before declaring belief?  If someone approached me today and told me that they wanted to deposit a million dollars into my bank account, I probably wouldn't just fork over my routing and account number before investigating who they were and what their true intentions were.  It's the same with religion for me.  It's not that I don't want to believe in God, it's that I simply can't without proof.  All I need is just one factual, objective reason......but I can't find anyone that can present it.

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
          BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's because you are looking for a that and not a who.

Like in your last sentence.

Stick with an anyone like Mark Knowles and you'll go far. Down not up.

2. PhoenixV profile image63
          PhoenixVposted 12 years agoin reply to this

On the million in the acct/-intentions example. If they had bad intentions? If they had good intentions? You would allow it if you believed that they were good intentions. Their intent has no actual objective existence. Good intent and bad intent both weigh exactly the same- nothing. Your actions in regards to that intent- the entire experience itself weighs nothing, has no color, has no objective existence. I could ask you: was it a good experience or bad experience? How could I believe you? What if you got the million dollars, but "in my opinion" the money you got made you a different person. We have opinions we have experiences, we have a millions dollars bouncing around, but only some of all that can be shown to objectively exist. Qualia and experience seem to have literally a million dollar value, yet where is that intent? Can you show me the intent?

The most important part or the part that had the "most effect" was "you" deciding to "find the intent". Finding that intent and making a decision based on that intent is the difference between getting a million dollars or stopping a potential scam. But all those decisions have no color, have no weight, cannot be shown. Yet they made it all happen or not happen.

To afterward claim or assert that- I have to have objective proof- is simply not the case for things we take for granted.

You cannot apply the reasoning one place- then ignore it the next.

Reason is biased towards the physical is it not?

2. jennzie profile image71
      jennzieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At first, I thought Checkers was a cereal. But I think I confused it with Chex. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)