The Example of Christ

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (97 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

I've come to wonder how the modern church and the average evangelical believer feels about the name 'Christian'. We've been told it means little Christ. But, rarely does any Christian reference his words as justification for beliefs and actions.

I read a lot of examples from the Old Testament as reasons to support war, homophobia and the general dislike of humanity as a whole.

I read a lot of comments referencing the words of Paul in support of continuing the hatred. I do see Christians picking statements out of the gospel accounts, but only the few that can be turned to support
    what I view as a hatred of humanity. They pointedly ignore the rest which pulls it out of context.

My question is; taking the life, deeds and words of Jesus as a whole...you can't support the average fundamentalist argument. If you consider Christ as God on earth why do you not look to his words and actions for guidance? Why bow to words written before and after his appearance and ignore the ones he presumably spoke?

I don't intend to pick. I am genuinely stumped on this point.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Emile, I so wish that I could answer this for you.  One of the things that I love so very much about my faith is that we are taught to read the Bible as a whole - BUT - to understand that it is a collection of many varied types of stories.  Genesis, for example is an allegorical description of creation rather than a literal one.  Other parts of the Bible are metaphorical, instructional, literal, historical, or inspirational.

But while we read and respect Scripture in its totality, we give preeminence ALWAYS to the Gospels - to the words and life of Jesus. 

At least we try to. 

We also, as a rule, oppose war as far as possible - leaving, as we were directed by God - the ultimate decision to the human rulers of the earth.  Throughout our past, yes, the Church leaders 'ruled' the rulers, but thanks be to God, this is no longer the case in most of the civilized world.

I really can't speak  to other Christian denominations, but that's my two cents. 

In short, we're taught to as best we can follow the example of Christ - do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with our God.  Call a spade a spade - or in our case, call a hypocrite a hypocrite - and do the best you can to edify your brothers and sisters, and show the love of Christ to the world.
      smile

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
        DoubleScorpionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am curious if you might can provide the answer for this or anyone else who might have the answer...

Who decides what is allegorical, literal, metaphorical, instructional, historical or inspirational within the bible? How does these types of interpretations of the bible get decided? And why isn't the bible just taken at face value, it is after all the Word of God? Why all the confusion over what is what when it comes to the bible?

I am not picking, I would like an honest answer that isn't taken from the bible itself, which the interpretation of is in question in this particualr case.
        Thank you.

1. profile image0

Well, as a lay person in the Church, the only thing I can say is that the Holy Spirit has guided those who compiled the Bible into what it is now to understand which is which.  I know that's NOT a satisfactory answer for many, but neither will this be.

I read scripture a LOT as a kid.  I'm a very literate person with excellent reading comprehension.  Not one word in the Bible made a lick of sense to me.

When I came to faith in Christ, and received the gift of the Holy Spirit - it was like a dam had broken - it made sense - every word - AND - no matter how deep I dug into the pages of scripture, I could never get enough out of it.  There was a new lesson in every word, virtually everyday.

1. Jerami profile image59
            Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Could you read and explain to me the meaning of these verses?
            Daniel 9:1 
               "    9:23
               "    9:25 and 26   

I think these are the most misunderstood verses in scripture.
            Or at least the most important ones which have been misunderstood.

1. profile image0

I've just read through them...would you be so kind as to give me until tomorrow to answer this inquiry?  I want to pray on it a bit.  I'm not a Scripture scholar, so I can only give you the interpretation of a layman.  Is that okay?

That is the only kind of answer that I can understand.

If you can ? see if there is a simple way of understanding what it says, and try to not interpret too munch into it.

I think that if we don't have to "Interpret" some other meaning into it;   It holds one of the keys to the strong box.

1. profile image0

I pretty much wanted some extra time to pray on it and read through the entire book of Daniel to put it in context.  Not to make it too complicated.  smile

Thank you  take your time.

I think you will see that every one of these visions about kingdoms and beasts and statues are all talking about the first, second third and fourth kingdoms beginning with Babylon as the first. First means first and fourth meaning fourth. The fourth kingdom and not some kingdom way out there in the future!
                       It takes a lot of study of what is actually written to eleminate a mountain of preconceived ideas as to what we "thought" it said.
                       For centuries, preachers have been teaching what they thought it said.

2. profile image0

I don't know, Jerami.  I read through the book of Daniel last night, and I don't really read a whole lot more into those verses than possibly a prophecy of how long Darius's reign would last.  I may have missed something, but I've always felt that the prophecies in the book of Daniel were meant for those living in that time - not necessarily for end times as many others believe.

Again - not a bible scholar - and not one who worries much about when the end times will come since I definitely believe that we have already been told by Christ than no one but the Father knows that date.

big_smile

I'm just stating what I understand these scripture to be saying when I read them.

It seems as we agree. I believe that all but two prophesy in the book of Daniel pertains to "That Hebrew Nation" which ceased to exist when Hadrian and his army put down the Last Jewish revolt which lasted until 135 AD.
                  He then began deporting ALL the Hebrews and scattering them through out the rest of the empire. I've read in several encyclopedia that by 150 AD there was not one single Hebrew left to be found in all of Israel and Judea.

I believe that this scattering of the Hebrew Nation is what Daniel 12:7 is talking about. This,  time, times and half a time  BEGINS  some time before    150 AD. This is also the same event described in Rev. 12:14
                Daniel 11:45  pinpoints the time when Michael stands up for the children of Daniels people which were Raptured and many of those which were in the graves were caught up. These are the 144000 mentioned in Rev.7 and Rev 14.
                  This happened when "the Little Horn (Hadrian) comes to his end. Daniel 11:45(138 AD) 

The other prophesy written in Daniel which doesn't pertain to those Hebrews is written in Daniel 8:14.  I'm not going to speculate what this verse eludes to; but there is a timeframe established. "An end of the story" kind of thing, pointing to a specific date.

One thousand three hundred days beginning around 559ish BC.
                If the 62 weeks equal 568 of our years remain constant?  2300 days would be equal to approx 3009 years. or points to the year 2420 AD.

1. profile image0
                  Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey jerami. The key to profiting on an end time prophesy is to make it sometime in the near future. 2420 is too far off to get the crowd worked up.

Ha  The verses of scripture that people are recognizing as the end of days has already been fulfilled when that hebrew Nation came to "ITs" end of Days.

Again ... I;m only speaking of that which is written is scripture.  The believing it part is optional
                       However ...  The fullfillment of the last plagues as described, are due to come to completion within the next decade.

That would be the coming to completion of the 42 Months of The Beast (c 13)
                    and the sounding of the 7th trumpet and pouring out of the last bowl.
                      after that ???  prophesy is unclear.

2. profile image0
                  jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What other hobbies to you have, Jerami?  I see from your Profile that you "fix" things.  I suggest you could serve humanity a lot better if you stuck to that.

1. Cagsil profile image69
                    Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jonny,

Was that really needed? sad

Would you say the same thing to him if he told you that he loved researching the bible? hmm

I'm of the understanding that those who love what they do are the happiest. wink

So, where does that leave us? hmm

2. mischeviousme profile image59
                    mischeviousmeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Try to teach a mentally hadnicapped person to wite and one may never succeed... But hand them a hammer and they can fix just about anything. I'm not saying dude is mentally handicapped, but taking the bible that seriously or on any level, appears stupid and useless.

3. Jerami profile image59

Thank you, you don't know how much that means to me!

2. DoubleScorpion profile image77

Ok. I understand how you decide what is what...The next question I would ask is, does everyone else who claim to be Christian, view it the same way?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
              MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love questions like this!  They give me a chance to use my red car analogy!

Any person with any literacy skills at all can read the following statement:

It is a red car.

Everyone knows what red is.  Everyone knows what a car is.

Ask 100 people to describe the car and you are going to get at least 90 different answers more likely 100.  That's because everyone's experience with red cars... or  the color red... or cars in general is different and unique to them.

That's because a reader's perspective ALWAYS colors what they read.  Literal interpretation of the Bible is really impossible but that doesn't stop people from saying "But it says THIS! How can it mean anything else?"

smile

And with that being said, How can we use the bible as a guide to judge others? We can only use it as a guideline for ourselves only.

Yet, this is not the case.

smile I think some Christians see it like that most of the time and most of the Christians see it like that some of the time but most of the Christians don't see it like that most of the time.

Christianity... more than most other religions... encourages the belief that each individual has a personal relationship with God.  They believe that he speaks to them through their experiences and through the words of the Bible.  If they are forced to believe that he doesn't say the same thing to everybody then they have to acknowledge that at least some portion of their beliefs are based on their own opinions.  That makes them unsure of 1.  Whether God is really telling them anything at all and 2. Whether they are truly obeying Him or just doing as they see fit.

And it is responses such as this that make you such a joy to converse with. smile

Keep walking it girlie.. smile

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
                Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's an excellent analogy. I must try that out on my fundie friends, though I think it will go straight over their heads.

2. profile image0

Does one have to be highly intelligent to make such distinctions?  Or could good Ol' Common Sense tell us something?

It is a book...I would think that one would only require the ability to read and comprehend. Why do we need to seperate it into different interpretations to understand what it is saying...?

(My theory, it is done as such, to justify the belief system built from it. Because if one were to follow the bible as completely literal...well there probably wouldn't be many who followed it.)

2. grinnin1 profile image69
            grinnin1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm betting on common sense-

2. grinnin1 profile image69
      grinnin1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I recently read a quote by a Native American tribe, from around the middle of the 19th century. Don't remember exact quote, but it said something like although they(indians) often would pick fights among themselves, the white man constantly picked fights about their God, and why would they want a religion where they fought about their God.
      So apparently, it's always been this way. As far back as you look,and in the bible itself, religion has been at the center of argument, fights, and wars. A lot of times Christian against Christian.
      I think that it happens mostly because of a lack of Christlike character in ourselves. Fear, pride, ignorance, and a need to somehow keep "neat and tidy" all of the various parts of the belief system. It is scary to open yourself up to other ideas, other perspectives, other opinions, without losing sight of your own. Today we have to be able to do that. We have to be able to take in and digest what others are saying and know that because other information comes in, it does not take away from our own belief system, it enhances our belief if we are firm in it. Questioning and understanding our own and others beliefs is part of the process.  We have to be able to deal with the world around us and try to be Christlike. And many Christians today feel so bombarded in this non,and anti-Christian culture, arguing becomes almost a desperate attempt to do what we're supposed to do; which is spread the word of Christ.
      One last thought, "arguing" is trying to sway another to your opinion,or your point of view, which will NEVER work. Most of what happens on these forums is pointless and a waste of time and energy because it simply kicks up more anger, rhetoric, pride, and rude behavior, and absolutley does not sway others to your opinion!! The only way Christians can do that is by having discussion, and if the discussion becomes an argument, I believe that the Christlike thing to do is to drop the argument. If, as Christians we find other, more positive ways to channel our time and energy, we might make a difference in the way that we hope to.

3. mischeviousme profile image59
      mischeviousmeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Group opinion destroyed the idea...

2. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

I also would like an answer to your question. Far to many times, the bible is taken out of context to support an individuals ideals and views.

3. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

The path is broad but the gate is narrow.

It is so narrow that only one person at a time can go through it.
      A group can not go through it "as a group"
      Safety in numbers does not apply here.

This doesn't sound like an answer to your question BUT?

When too many people are talking at the same time, can anyone really hear what anyone else is saying? 
      We do not have a clearly established leader. As a group, we are all going in different directions.
      Individually we can see a single path if we would just follow it.

It is early and I haven't had my coffee yet. Maybe I'm still asleep.

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe not an answer, but it's a good point.

2. profile image0

Jerami, the answer to so many questions does, for me, come out of your questions.

That gate, wide enough for only one person to walk through, is indeed the lonely pathway to heaven... it's the path each of us has to take, into our own personal, full-knowledge world, where we know the truth about "Myself."  No more lies.  No more illusions.  No more pretending. 

"The Group" can be "going in all directions."  Each one in the group is taking his/her lonely road, too.  Many do not recognise it, some are fighting it, and maybe will fight all their lives without any kind of enlightenment.

You have seen me state clearly that I am atheist in my understanding now.  That remains the case.  Yet I can see lots of useful stories and analogies from the bible, both old and new testaments, which are worth giving attention to.  So my "anti-" is not at any person or person's individual faith.  That is sacrosanct. 

When the Hypocrite stands out in my anger process, often it's the reflection of myself in the mirror!

1. profile image0

What an unbelievably honest assessment.  Nice to meet you.  smile

4. Jerami profile image59

It is so sad that we can not see the forest because of all those trees that are standing in the way.
      We go wayyyy over there searching for truth, which we have been sitting on all the while.

Can truth realy be that obvious?

Most Everyone seems to be betting against it being so ... So it must not be!?

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is that obvious.

I agree!

1. Druid Dude profile image60
          Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you can't see beyond the end of your nose...you've gone too far anyways!

5. Jerami profile image59

Yes  Kinda like that song.  goes something like.  when you are looking for a party don't forget to look at the girl standing next to ya. something like that.

kinda off topic  but not.

1. profile image0

Well, she would be very safe with me!  wink

Well at my age she would be safer than I could wish she was. LOL

6. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

LMBO...  I'm safe with everyone.  My husband is the size of a Buick.

1. profile image0

A question:

This Hub is about "The Example of Christ."  Do you think he would have had a good sense of humour?

Of course I do... but then again I freely admit that my perception of him is colored by my own opinions.  I highly value a sense of humour so therefore that is  included in my image of him. 

Besides...again using my own perceptions...  He was a non-violent man surrounded by pompous idiots... if he truly had the power of God then he either had to laugh at them or throw lighting bolts.

7. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years ago

Melissa, that is just what I was thinking.  You said: "I highly value a sense of humour so therefore that is  included in my image of him." 

My point here, (as mentioned some time back in one of the other Hubs,) is that each of us forms the image of "god," or "jesus," or "the virgin mary," and numerous other examples, out of our own needs and desires.

I might be in need of the "Iron John" sort of guy, who is going to lift me out of my problems/despair/fear/misery, and transport me to a safe haven.

I might be a woman who is about to have birth, yet has a demon of a husband who torments me beyond imagination, yet there is no one around whom I can turn to for help and support.  Then I conjure up the image of The Virgin Mary, who will protect me because she is sitting next to God, whom I also want to protect me.

I might need the vision of a sexy-looking man or about 32/33, who can be the "apple of my eye,"  and this will be a picture of Jesus as depicted by one of the classical artists.

And one could go on and on with other examples.

I can see that.  I absolutely acknowledge the need for mankind to create it's own avatars.  The Wiccan religion -in part (because it is a hugely varied religion)- uses Gods and Heroes as archetypes.  Those who practice it as such acknowledge that some may have existed (as in the case of historical figures) and some likely never did.  When they do rituals they are essentially praying to be granted a specific characteristic of that God or hero.  I find that an incredibly honest way of worship and see how it could likely produce better results than other types of prayer (considering how psychology and self-affirmations work)

I believe that a real Jesus really did walk the Earth and at least some of the teachings attributed to him in the Bible were his... if not all.  As such I believe I am likely working with a real base yet creating my own specific "Red Car" that is unique to me in my picture of him.

As such I can usually- USUALLY because I am human- let everyone happily have their own red car.  I do occasionally have problems when I think other people are describing a purple train though...

8. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

There have been some great responses and interesting dialogue here. Unfortunately (and painfully obvious) those I hoped to get an answer from refuse to respond.

Which is why I'm beginning to think some secular oversight needs to be implemented over the religious organizations. When you demand the right to continue with hate speech because you've been convinced a god is whispering it directly into your ear...and you refuse to question whether this belief falls in line with the teaching of your professed faith; I see you as a danger to society. How far removed is this type of Christian from violence against society as a whole? One whisper away?

If they won't use reason, how are we to get through to them?

9. Jerami profile image59

@jonnycomelately  thank you more than you know,

I started to make a list of things which organized religion does which pushed many agnostics and theists over to the side of Atheism and then saw that I was being guilty of the same things that I was pointing out about "THEM"

I am "Them" but from a different viewpoint than my own.
    Everyone is "them" to somebody.

I do not agree with the churches rendition ... but I haven't thrown away the record. The music remains the same even when the singer can't carry a tune in a bushel basket.

Actually scriptures does say that churchiousity will go down this path and still have a worthwile purpose.
      I really don't know how to explain what I'm saying so I'll stop with that.
      Hope everyone has a great day.

10. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

I say, if you want the truth about Jesus and his teachings, then you really can have it.

(a) Be honest with yourself about your self and that of the world you live in.
    (b) Strip Jesus' message out of the religion book it's in and read it.
    (c) Do away with the "mystical" aspects which are applied to said book, considering "mystical" is known as a lie.
    (d) Implement his teachings into your every day life and find peace of mind, love, joy and many other beautiful things. Walk the walk instead of claiming with your actual actions which are Talk the talk.
    (e) Doing so, kicks religion to the curb.

aww Cags... You are a U.U.  wink  Just coming out of the closet are you?

Hey Melissa, nice try. lol lol

Coming out of the closet? lol lol lol

My dear Melissa, I was in a "closet" for a good portion of my earlier life, however, after researching religion and it's history, as well as, a good portion of many other subjects/topics, I came to understand that the only thing that mattered about the Bible was Jesus' original message less the mystical aspect.

It forms the perfect union between individuals. His message is about us as individuals and that we each need to be consciously active(completely aware) of our own actions and pay heed to the actions of others.

I have no issue with Jesus' teachings in this manner. I have no issue with understanding that I am in control of how I act, what I say and who hears it. The most important thing to me is impact, either positive or negative doesn't matter. As with Jesus, he didn't care what other people thought about his message, because he knew over time it would be absorbed, realized and then implemented.

The unfortunate truth of the matter is that many other people have had their hands in the creation of the religions' books- the writing and manufacturing, and distribution. And, that's the problem. These sources have proven they cannot be trusted, so when people who cannot be trusted put together a book and pass it on to the remainder of civilization, how can the book be honestly trusted?

See the problem I have with that statement is that it is emotionally true but logically false.  Emotionally we know that those with a history of not being truthful shouldn't be trusted.  However logically we know that the source of a statement does not affect the validity of that statement.  As such each statement must be examined without bias to the speaker of that statement.  Which is a tall order for most.

The above statement is why I never criticize people for "Cherry picking" the bible.

Now for the U.U. poke... what you described in points b c and d of your original post... that's what Jefferson attempted to do in his bible.  Us U.U.s love the Jefferson Bible.

Actually it is not. I am referring to the idiots who decided to put what gospels(books) into the religious books used. Those people are the ones who are not trusted and shouldn't be trusted.
            That is providing you have a valid statement to begin with. That is provided you're given the correct context within said statement, so you can validate it. If just one word is translated or mistakenly placed, then the context will be wrong, but you still might be able to rationalize it to be valid. Remember, people can rationalize almost anything, but that doesn't mean it's actually rational.
            Examined without bias? Good luck with that, because in order to do that, one must be able to see beyond oneself, to find objectivity and truth.
            Cherry pick? lol lol
            Good to know. Never seen, but have heard of it. And, no I'm not interested.

Easy big boy...

Pointing out that you are using the "poisoning the well" logical fallacy.  Then rationalizing your use of such wink

Even if someone lies 99 percent of the time it doesn't detract from the truth of the statements that are true.

And i wasn't trying to convert you dear... just pointing something out.  Conversion is not really my thing.  If you have to talk someone into converting then they make a piss-poor convert.

Poisoning the well? I'm not sure I understand.
                I would agree that a statement of truth can be seen even if a person lies most of the time. However, the likelihood of statement of truth would be seen as what it is, are not good. Ego is the main reason.
                I realize that, it was just poke and fun. tongue
                It didn't seem to be your thing, which has been obvious from the first time I talked with you. wink
                If anyone attempts to talk someone into converting, then it's nothing more than manipulation and/or persuasion or a play on ignorance. lol

2. Jerami profile image59

I've never expressed it exactly that way. Don't know that I would exactly?

I did come in here years ago with something similar.

"Read he words written in red first and formost with "This" as the foundation for our beliefs. THEN when reading the rest of the NT understand that in such a way as it conforms to those words written in RED"

We will find ourselves standing in a different place at the end of the day.

I guess that is kinda what you just said;  but not.

Hey Jerami,

I would only have one problem with what you said- S/Paul was a fake, a joke and led by some other sources which skewed his understanding of Jesus. S/Paul continued the mystical aspect which is where the dishonesty comes into play.

There's nothing needed or warranted from S/Paul. Absolutely, NOTHING!

I never said S?Paul was or wasn't a Fake?
          That is irrelevant.  If I base my beliefs first upon those words in red.
          When I do this first and understand what Paul said in such a way as to agree with what Jesus said. Then there isn't "as much" of what Paul said that NEEDS to be discarded.  A lot of what Paul taught was his opinion of that which Jesus taught.  I don't think the other disciples did that?

Yes, his opinion of his interpretation, not translation.

Exactly ...  A lot of what is taught in religion is excess interpretation of poor translation which came due to a preexisting mindset which automatically leans toward a particular desired conclusion.
              This in no way denies or confirms the validity of the original message.
              I happen to believe that which I believe the original message to have been. Just as everyone does.
                  If I can’t believe those words written in RED … Then there went the whole idea (out the window).

11. Jerami profile image59

I believe in the same God that all the christians say that they believe in.

But when he speaks I hear a different message than they seem to be hearing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)