Allen Iverson ("The Answer") & The Pistons

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image59
    fishskinfreak2008posted 15 years ago

The Pistons are 25-21 and they've lost 9 out of their last 12 games. It's unfiar to blame it solely on Iverson, a perennial All-Star and former league MVP although his average of 17.8 is his worst. Basketball is a team game and so blame can never be placed solely on one person when things aren't going right just like credit can't be given only to one player during a championship year. Kobe Bryant should take note of this.

2. Junkster profile image61
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

I agree that there's definitely problems in motor city!  I think by trading two players for a player like Iverson is risky, expecially if one of them is a big man.  When those two players are Antonio McDyess and Chauncey Billups then you're taking a really big gamble.  Heck, had it been a straight swap of iverson for billups I'd be wary about Detroits choice.

I think the idea is that with firing Flip Saunders and their owner pretty unhappy with the drought of championship rings lately they felt they needed a friebrand player like Iverson, maybe they merely wanted the attention and energy he brings, it certainly happened with his move from the sixers to nuggets. 

The thing with Iverson is that he needs someone to feed to, like Rondo at the celtics, they're both good shooters and cancertainly drive the lane but more often than not they're driving to pull a man off the centre or the forward in the paint for a quick pass and an easy shot.

I have only seen one game of iverson at the pistons (against the celtics) and it was something like his first game at home, he obviously needed time but I think there are plenty of capable guards at Detroit like Stuckey.  (coincidentally he was injured in that game!)

Given time Iverson works to his team mate's strengths, like how he played at Denver, lots of people expected results but it took time before the young Nuggets started to string a few wins together.

3. Bruce Bostwick profile image71
    Bruce Bostwickposted 15 years ago

While I don't blame him for it, it probably has something to do with not fitting in so much.  The team chemistry is not there as much.  That's probably what happened to the Pistons.

4. Junkster profile image61

I'd agree the chemistry is no longer there, but then detroit weren't doing terribly when Billups was still there, so maybe this is a role that iverson can eventually merge into?

Is he a leader like billups?  I'd argue he has potential to be

5. Bruce Bostwick profile image71

That will depend on if he stays in Detroit at the end of the season.  He's a free agent at the end of the year.

6. profile image53
    exodusmsposted 15 years ago

Are you kidding Iverson is a plague for teams. He is extremely talented and will get big numbers, the guy was my favorite player my whole childhood. Ever since the trade of billups for Iverson the nuggets have been on a tear. For the last few years the Nuggets have had considerable talent but failed to work as a team and make any kind of impact on the NBA. However ever since that trade Denver is now in 3rd place in the west and will most likely make a good run in the playoffs. While Detroit (not solely failing because of Iverson alone) is 5 games away from a .500 season. They are in 5th place in the standings and will most likely fall more as there terrible season on lack of chemistry continues to deteriorate.

Iverson is not the sole reason this club is failing but he sure makes them a lot worse then Billups, therefore it is easy to conclude Iverson is fun to watch, has great numbers, but he is a plague..

7. Junkster profile image61

Hmm yeah he doesw seem to have an effect on teams, although i'd say denver had grown as a team last year and didnt do too bad. 

I just had another thought, Billups moving to the west?  I think he senses being in the West is his only chance at making the finals this year big_smile

It's still a tall order but I can see Denver getting to the finals this year.  I'd welcome a celtics/denver final big_smile

8. profile image53
    exodusmsposted 15 years ago

I would be alright with a celtics/denver final. I would much rather watch cavs/lakers though. Kobe and Lebron for the championship, it would be some great tv!

9. Bruce Bostwick profile image71

Personally I'd want to see not only the Cavs in the finals but also win it.  I think if they're gonna win, this is the time to do it but that's just me.  As far as the West goes, I don't have a preference on who gets in.  Denver has been playing pretty good basketball this season and maybe it will translate into going deep in the post-season.  We've seen some strange things happen in the sports world.

What about a Cavs/Nuggest match up?  That would be interesting to say the least as you would have two teams going for their 1st NBA Title in franchise history.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)