What is the best joy sailing brings to you?

1. johnb0127 profile image67
    johnb0127posted 7 years ago

What is the best joy sailing brings to you?

2. CaptainRiley profile image57
    CaptainRileyposted 7 years ago

Having been brought up in boats from a very early age, I actually hated sailing with my Father and with one other Helmsman who I won't mention as he will not be able to respond.
    Once I could sail, I was bullied into sailing , so that I would then crew for my dad, he needed a younger fitter crew, and I was the target as my elder brother had moved off to university.
    However, with my own boat and later sailing with my dad and other friends and family (once I got big enough to argue!) I found that the peace and quiet, the stimulation, space to think, even whilst racing, I'd be sorting out my school work in my head.
    Now while I race, I am able to chat and still concentrate on the race. I feel able to experience the sea, close up, see the seals and seabirds first hand and not through someone elses camera lens.
    I have visited many countries all over the world, dived on reefs, sailed catamarans in the maldives, monohulls in all the oceans of the world, but the peace and relaxation of being away from a phone, only me (and my crew) and nature. We don't have an engine either, so it really is sailing. We used to have outboard engines, but these were found to be too heavy for the kind of performance we wanted from our boats.

I love winning races, but taking part in a big race with hundreds of competitors is just as much fun, as long as everyone onboard is in it for fun.

Yep, it has to be the 'away from it all' feeling that is why I sail. Time to be me, time to do My thing, in My space, and hopefully teach my friends how to enjoy it as well.