jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How many of you out there believe that match fixing in the World Cup exist and h

1. robinsue profile image56
    robinsueposted 7 years ago

How many of you out there believe that match fixing in the World Cup exist and how is it done?

So far for this 2010 World Cup, the referring hasn't exactly been of the highest standards, is that just human error or is it more?

But the question marks don't stop there as certain players during the world cup have previously been noted to be doing extraordinary things that do affect the game.

I remember in the 2006 world cup roberto carlos was tying his shoe laces while france were taking a free kick and his failure to mark henry resulted in a goal. Is that just a coincidence?

2. scramble profile image65
    scrambleposted 7 years ago

I don't think there is much, if any, match fixing going on. The players at that level are paid well enough for money not to be a motivation. The World Cup is so high profile and is the pinnacle of achievement for all players, so much so that they will try their very best for themselves and their teams. The referees chosen are considered some of the very best from their countries and must be thoroughly vetted. I think much of the controversy is due to the video technology that is available to the viewer and analyst in the TV studio. This makes errors more obvious to us all sitting at home but the referee must act in the moment and can only do the best he can the same way he did 100 years ago.

3. profile image0
    dreamreachoutposted 7 years ago

I dont think there is any match fixing at the world cup!! The media glare would have unearthed it, if it was so!!

4. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 7 years ago

There is always the possibility for fixing in any sport, at any level. However, that said, even if someone could be motivated by money, I don't think World Cup players would dare...just imagine what would happen to them if they were found out. Lynch mobs are kind of out of style these days, but I don't doubt they'd appear if it became known that a certain player or team threw the World Cup...great way to stir up the wrath of your entire country in one go.

5. Donnacha C profile image79
    Donnacha Cposted 7 years ago

there wasn`t any game where the outcome was down to a controversial decision by the ref...
    there have been mistakes, but not on the scale of the 2002 WC.... I don`t think there was any match fixing here....

Closed to reply

working