jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

what would be the best trout fly fishing fly?

1. Busterbabe profile image57
    Busterbabeposted 7 years ago

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

The fly that is in season for the time and month in the area that you're fishing.

3. websclubs profile image52
    websclubsposted 7 years ago

Nymphs are the best fly patterns to use for trout when the fish are not feeding on the surface. The best nymphs are basic, and do a great job imitating, imitating insects.

see: http://flyfishing.suite101.com/article. … ly_fishing

4. profile image48
    nextascentposted 7 years ago

I have been fly fishing for many years and I generally fly fishing with a 2-fly rig...ie. I have 2 flies on the same line.  For many reasons people fish like this which essentially doubles your odds of catching a fish, but there are many other reasons why to fish with 2 flies.
    To answer your question, if I was forced to choose 2 flies for any river in the world to fish with for the rest of my life I would choose a Red Copper John and a Barr emerger.  These 2 flies will work almost anywhere,and any time of year in almost any circumstance.  If I was given the chance to add a 3rd fly to my arsenal, it would be a tough choice between a Pheasant Tail and an Elk Hair Caddis, but probably the Caddis.
    Thats just me, but if you don't have those 2 flies and at least one of the other 2 you won't catch as many trout than if you did have them.
    Eric Graham
    President, www.NextAscentOutdoorAndSport.com

5. fordie profile image74
    fordieposted 7 years ago

Match the hatch.

Take a look around you and see what size, shape a colour flies are natural to your river for the season

6. Ren Chin profile image85
    Ren Chinposted 7 years ago

for dry flies, Caddis, and Adams are the basics. start with those.
    Many swear by the Royal Wulff as it sort of imitates so many different insects (it's kind of like the powerbait of dry flies).  Anyways, the basic flies are appropriate for 80% of North American streams.  I wrote a hub about dry flies for fishing in Montana at http://hubpages.com/hub/Madison-River-Dry-Flies

7. KingofMaine profile image57
    KingofMaineposted 6 years ago

A muddler minnow will catch anything, anywhere! You can float it, sink it, deaddrift it, or just put it on your mantle! It imitates a huge variety of fish eating substance anytime of year. I even use it in the dead of winter here in Maine!

8. David Legg 7 profile image72
    David Legg 7posted 6 years ago

That is such an awesome question... if I really had to just choose one, I would go with a very small black wooly bugger... size 14 maybe, no flash. I have caught many trout including a 4 lb brown just this year on that fly.
    Tight lines!
    David

9. BigL_Lawrence profile image43
    BigL_Lawrenceposted 5 years ago

Ask at your local supplies store, they will always have the best knowledge of what is selling during what particular part of the season.

http://bigllawrence.hubpages.com/hub/ca … ly-fishing

working