jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Thoughts on the Goose?

1. elisabeth reid profile image64
    elisabeth reidposted 9 years ago

anyone?

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

What about the Goose?  Not sure I saw the story.  Goose Gossage?

3. elisabeth reid profile image64

Yup.  Rich "Goose" Gossage.  Ninth time was the charm...he was the single player elected to Cooperstown this year.

McGuire garnered the same number of votes he got last year.  Which wasn't nearly enough.  What do you think his fate will be, ultimately?  Will he get in?

4. Froggy213 profile image67
    Froggy213posted 9 years ago

I predict 2010

5. elisabeth reid profile image64

For McGuire's induction?  I don't think so.  2010 he'll 'only' have been eligible for four years (five years ago, if you'd suggested to anyone that he wouldn't make first ballot, they'd have laughed at you).  It's gonna take a lot longer than that for the sting of his non-testimony to wear off.

Funny thing is, though -- I really think that if he'd been open before congress, most (not all, but most) of the ripples would have passed under the bridge by now.  He'd be getting more that >30% of the vote, anyway.

6. PeteMaravichFan profile image53
    PeteMaravichFanposted 9 years ago

Anyone who played for 22 years, had some sweet side burns, and is named Goose - deserves respect.....

1. elisabeth reid profile image64
      elisabeth reidposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Heh...that Fu Manchu is the stuff of legend.  They'll prolly set up a special display in the Hall just for that.
      wink

7. PeteMaravichFan profile image53
    PeteMaravichFanposted 9 years ago

Do a google search on best sports nicknames, and ESPN came up with a top 10....

The "Goose" was no where to be found.

My only hope is that the name of Goose Gossage was so popular that it didn't qualify as a nickname.

8. elisabeth reid profile image64

Meh...what's in a name?  That, which we call a rose....

in the end it was his arm that got him in.  How many people really think of him as Rich (or Rick or Richard or whatever) Gossage.   Lists like that are pretty arbitrary, anyway.

Now that I've shoved my foot in it, I prolly oughta go look up the list, huh?

tongue

working