jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the best way to train for a half marathon?

1. kennysl profile image62
    kennyslposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to train for a half marathon?

2. Drew Breezzy profile image70
    Drew Breezzyposted 6 years ago

You need to be running 4-5 times a week. Run around 30-40 miles a week. With at least one long run, ten miles or more once a week.  Adding a short track day to focus on speed work is great too.

3. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

It all depends on where you start -- the 30-40 miles a week already mentioned may be too much if you're not at that level yet. First, pick a distance that is a little further than you can already run without a rest -- if it's a mile, try a mile and a half...if it's three miles, try setting it at four. Start out at very slow speeds (for me that was the hardest bit...slowing down) until you can run that entire distance without a rest. Once you've achieved that, gradually increase the speed until you can run that distance in the time you want to average per mile for the half-marathon. Be realistic about that time. After you're up to the desired speed for this shorter length, increase it by another half-mile or mile and repeat the process.

Generally you don't want to make your distance using this process any more than about 10 miles since it will be done a few times a week, though about once a month or so there's nothing wrong with challenging yourself to run the entire half-marathon distance on your own to gauge how you do. Many people also like to build up their strength using varying terrain or varying speeds throughout the run. Just remember that the primary point of a marathon or half-marathon is stamina -- there is no benefit for being the fastest person in the first five miles and then being unable to continue.

4. loonyBG profile image63
    loonyBGposted 6 years ago

Hi, I'm right now preparing for half marathon, and marathon in near future smile. The first thing I did was Cooper's test and it tells have trained U are. I was never a fan of running, U can say I'm in "beginner group" tongue
    When I started it was 6km per day. Now I'm running 3 days a week: tuesday, thursday and sunday for about 10km per day. And I'm increasing length for every week.
    And my first half marathon will be 12 of june  , I hope to be ready smile

working