Have you or will you ever run a marathon?

1. Joan King profile image77
    Joan Kingposted 5 years ago

Have you or will you ever run a marathon?

If you ran a marathon why and what did you gain and what did you have to do to prepare? If you would like to, why would you and how do you plan to get ready?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6396800_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    claireburrposted 5 years ago

I ran the Austin Marathon this year. I ran this one because it was my husband's first, and we wanted to run together.

I used the New York Road Runner's training program, available online. Mostly consisting of one long run a week, up to 20 miles, and shorter runs in between.

The week of: rest, carbs, and lots of water.

It was worth it to run all through my city, and see all the people who came out to support. The only downside is that my immune system was weakened by the run, and I got sick for the week after. Despite that, I will continue to run marathons.

3. tribook profile image60
    tribookposted 5 years ago

I haven't run an actual marathon, but I have done two Ironman triathlons and a 50K ultramarathon, so I know how to cover the distance.  Completing any endurance race is always a huge accomplishment because you need to have the dedication to train regularly and the motivation to push through the tough times.  I know I learned a lot about myself by seeing how far I can take my body and the mental stress that I can endure.  If you can get through 6+ months of marathon training and then finish the race, you can do pretty much anything you set your mind to.

To train, I built up my running mileage slowly so that I didn't get injured.  It is important to get in a several long runs at least 16 miles long, but don't forget to include shorter workouts that are more intense.  I would also suggest cross training with swimming or biking to strengthen your entire body and improve your endurance.

working