jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What do you think is the dirtiest professional sport, meaning the sport with the

1. writerlee profile image60
    writerleeposted 6 years ago

What do you think is the dirtiest professional sport, meaning the sport with the highest percentage

of athletes guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs?

2. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

I think it would be a toss up between Baseball, Football or Cycling.

3. Phil Plasma profile image78
    Phil Plasmaposted 6 years ago

I think it is between baseball and football.

4. truthfornow profile image83
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

Baseball seems to be most in the news.  I don't really know if it has the most abuse.

5. CyclingFitness profile image93
    CyclingFitnessposted 6 years ago

I would like to think it's not cycling! In years gone by it may have been with instances like Tom Simpson dying atop the Ventoux and the Festina Scandal. Now it seems to be cleaning up it's act after a number of years in the doldrums!

Biathlon has a long running history of drug usage!
    Weight Lifting seems to have a lot of problems which surface before each Olympiad

The interesting bit of your question is that you're not asking about taking 'banned' performance enhancing drugs or ergogenics as simple creatine supplementation would therefore count as a performance enhancing drug as are the contents in some Vicks Inhalaters in certain areas of the world.

6. .josh. profile image60
    .josh.posted 6 years ago

I agree with truthfornow - baseball certainly gets the most press for having athletes taking performance enhancing drugs, but I don't think it's the sport that's the most prevalent, particularly now that they've really cracked down.

You see Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco, Ralphael Palmeiro, Manny Ramirez, Barry Bonds, even Roger Clemens... the publicity surrounding busted steroid users in baseball has been far from positive, and I doubt as many are willing to risk it any longer.

I have to say that basketball players are pretty enormous these days, but no idea how common steroid use actually is in the NBA; I would still have to guess that football players are the most common users, at least in America.