jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is your favourite sporting moment?

1. samtenabray profile image61
    samtenabrayposted 6 years ago

What is your favourite sporting moment?

2. chspublish profile image82
    chspublishposted 6 years ago

When I was in my first year at college, I took up basket ball for the first time. It wasn't very popular in Ireland at the time. The coach decided to put me on the inter-varsity team - I thought he was bonkers as I could barely play the game. He was obviously desperate for players!
    Anyway off we went to play what was my first big game against a really good University team. I was in the reserves as was the right thing to do. However after half time I was urged on to take the place of a well-run-off-her-feet player. I found it difficult to defend my position against the bulkier females of the other now-winning team.
    Fortunately an opening occurred in the opposite defenses and I grabbed it - pure instinctive. I raised the ball and shot from just inside the halfway line and I scored as the ball went easily and cleanly through the net. A roar went up from our team and our very few supporters. Though we didn't win the game- as that was the only score - we felt victorious and I was on a high for the next few weeks and seen as a hero, though I never scored like that again.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

If you mean, personally, being on the school rugby team that beat another school -108/0.
    If you mean overall I would think that magnificent goal scored from a free kick by Beckham when England beat Germany in Germany about 5/0 a few years ago

4. skinsman82000 profile image86
    skinsman82000posted 6 years ago

I'd say the last one I witnessed when I was young enough to see sports as just a game was Cal Ripken beating Lou Gehrig's most consecutive games streak.  From 1982 until that moment in the early 1995 season Cal Ripken never missed a day of work.  Talk about a role model.  He did what he loved to do and you couldn't stop him from doing it.  I mean he was lucky in that he never had a major injury, but he also showed tons of perseverance by playing through the minor ones.  Not to mention he played shortstop, one of the most physically demanding positions on the field.

I may have been a bit long winded, but I felt very strongly about this man in my preteen years and looked up to him a great deal.

working