What is the likelihood that Superbowl Sunday will become a federal holiday?

1. christinekv profile image76
    christinekvposted 6 years ago

What is the likelihood that Superbowl Sunday will become a federal holiday?

What does sports fanaticism say about a society?

2. Cre8tor profile image98
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

I don't see it becoming federal though if the Browns ever get there...I'm sure Cleveland will declare it. (Guess I won't be getting any days of soon:-) I think sports fanaticism is like many other things. It's a distraction from reality. I like sports but for someone else it may be shopping, food, sex, etc... Just look at Black Friday. When will that be a holiday?

3. adjkp25 profile image92
    adjkp25posted 6 years ago

I think it is highly unlikely that the Super Bowl would become a federal holiday, unless the NFL commissioner became President or something.

Sure it is a huge sporting event, probably the biggest one day sporting event in our country and possibly the world.  There are some problems with making it a holiday, besides the fact it is just a football game.

The game is played on a Sunday and federal offices and buildings are already closed on Sunday’s.  This would kind of force the government to give the following day off for employees which would just remove one day of work for everyone that week.  Given what is going on with our Government, this might not be a bad thing.

I know that sports plays a pretty big part in some people’s lives, I know it does in mine, but it all boils down to them just being games.  These games are not life or death situations, even though the players and fans may think otherwise.

I love watch a game just like anyone else, but we shouldn’t lose sight to the fact that they are just games and should remain as such.