Before anyone asks,I am opposed to making Juneteenth a Federal Holiday

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 2 years ago

I think that making Juneteenth a Federal Holiday is a step too far. Unlike the King holiday that commemorates the nationwide struggles of those not considered part of the dominant culture and reminds all of the need to attain to a higher standard, this observance is more localized and while splendid, it is in the realm of Mothers Day, Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc. These observances are not Federal holidays.

How am I ever going to get the Federal workforce to go to work?

This is pandering, I want more substantive policy changes from Mr. Biden and the Democrats and that is going to take more work and focus.

Your thoughts.....

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Googling "juneteenth" I see it is about the end of slavery in America.

But slavery ended with the emancipation proclamation in Sept. 22, 1862, although it took many years to enforce it.  And still does as we still have slavery going on in this country.

So...if we wish to celebrate the end of slavery with a holiday (not totally unwarranted IMO) the proper date is Sept. 22, not sometime in June when one effort in one location was made to enforce the national law against slavery.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Apparently, many have been celebrating this day ("when one effort in one location was made to enforce the national law against slavery,") on their own.
        So, mandating it as a national/federal holiday for a minority of people has made THEM happy.

... so, Good.
        We can leave it at that.

Or can we?

2. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate the thought, but I don't think that it warrants another federal holiday. I need the President to work on the legislation that is in contention now.

3. MizBejabbers profile image89
        MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness, the Emancipation Proclamation ended  slavery only in the Confederate states. Four border states were allowed to keep their slaves: Missouri, Kentucky, Delaware and Maryland. (President Lincoln didn't give a damn about slavery, he just wanted to strike a blow at the Confederacy.)  Congress passed the Fourteenth Amendment, which was ratified July 9, 1868, and that made slavery illegal in the United States.
        https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxiv

2. Kyler J Falk profile image90
      Kyler J Falkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Just put my two cents in over on Kathryn's post about the matter, so I won't repeat myself in any real detail here. Agreed, though, a giant virtue-signal with very little substance that will come from the decision.

Thanks, Kyler.

what "substance" do you want?

3. Readmikenow profile image95
      Readmikenowposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with you.

What do you think of Candace Owens take on it?

"Candace Owens Says Juneteenth Gives Black People 'Perpetual Victim Mentality'

"Conservative political pundit Candace Owens said she won't be celebrating the new federal holiday of Juneteenth, suggesting that the move to commemorate the end of slavery in the U.S. is just the Democrats trying to "repackage segregation."

"This is not a holiday. This is more emotional training from Democrats to see ourselves as somehow separate from America. Independence Day is July 4th. The end."

Owens then continued to attack Juneteenth and "segregationist" Biden, suggesting that choosing to remember the "terrible toll that slavery took on the country—and continues to take" is an example of "emotional programming for black people that choose to opt in to the perpetual victim mentality."

In another tweet Thursday, Owens wrote: "This is your daily reminder that immigrants from Africa as well as the Caribbean are among the most successful ethnic groups in the country.

"America doesn't discriminate against people based on skin. Black Americans are just focused on meaninglessness like 'Juneteenth.'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics … uxbndlbing

I don't know if I buy in to Candace's explanation.  It is just a superfluous gesture only to the extent of making it a federal holiday. There is nothing wrong with remembering and taking note of history if for no other reason so that we prevent its reoccurrence through any manner or method.

What is it they say about remembering history to avoid a repeat......

1. wilderness profile image97
          wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If that were the case we wouldn't be trying to destroy and hide our past.  We would be making it MORE visible, not less.

4. Sharlee01 profile image81
      Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

"This is pandering, I want more substantive policy changes from Mr. Biden and the Democrats and that is going to take more work and focus.

Your thoughts....".

I am sticking with my analysis of Biden in regards to my opinion before he was elected. He made tons of unrealistic campaign promises. As a man that has been in Washington using the same pandering ploys for many years, I in no respect think he has changed over the years.   IMO he has been very dishonest making promises he well knew he could not really produce. In reality, Juneteenth should do the trick to maintain the majority of the black vote. Hey, history shows blacks stick with the Democratic party no matter what.

This man panders to all, but he certainly needs to do some heavy pandering to black citizens, to keep their vote.

The Republicans have worked equally hard to avoid considering our vote and our concerns. Who do you think I am going with if I had a choice?

what is your proof?"  RE: The Republicans have worked ... hard to avoid considering our vote and our concerns."
          No, they have not and why would they????????

Well, ask why 80 to 90 percent of African Americans consistently cast their ballots for the Democratic candidate? They can well speak for me.

5. Sharlee01 profile image81

After thinking a bit about Juneteenth, yes I truly think the Democrats put Biden up to pandering to Black American's... But I think many Black Americans would appreciate the day being a day set aside to remember the day slavery was no more, and honor relatives that were freed on that day.   So many black citizens have very little opportunity to trace their lineage due to slavery. Perhaps this special day would offer many a day to honor slaves, and those that were freed on Juneteenth. So, many were nameless... So many although free, never had a true family name.

you are settling, but you are very kind. We do not need to look backward. We need to look forward and that's what we were doing.

1. Sharlee01 profile image81

I think you hit on my very point. I did take time to think about Juneteenth for a bit. But your words will help me explain my feelings more clearly. In many respects, we don't need to dwell on the past. I have said it frequently, I don't feel in any respect responsible for slavery, something that happened hundreds of years ago. However, one can only imagine being one of those slaves that found themselves free on that day. What they felt, what they had lost, what they faced in regards to a future without much of anything but the clothes on their backs. They had no real names other than a name they were given, their linage gone... Most just taking names that were that of their owners.

I think these people deserve to be remembered, I think Black citizens that want to honor their relatives, known and unknown should have a holiday to do so.

I know many in the media and online are making analogies, feeling this will set precedence for many holidays that are being labeled frivolous.  Slavery was not frivolous, it was not a war or religious reason for a holiday. It was a crime against humanity. So, could we not be more human and remember the day they felt freedom?  We do need to look forward, but  I feel this holiday is a step forward... I don't feel responsible for slavery, I do feel responsible for respecting those that are on this earth that share a linage with slaves.

... but who will explain it like this? and why not allow them to celebrate, independently of the whole nation? and I still do not know why we need to even pinpoint it. We are all people with nameless ancestors. It's the human condition. I don't even know the heritage of the generations before my grandfather and what THEY went through ... so many people have had very very difficult distant past story lines. Many people in America have escaped other situations involving crimes against humanity.

We celebrate every day, every single day ... by pressing forward in positivity and determination for the future.
            TWISI

"We are all people with nameless ancestors"

have you ever checked out Ancestry? I joined and was so shocked I could trace my relatives back to the 1600s. I was not aware of relatives that would go past my grandparents. The majority of blacks in America can't trace their lineage due to a lack of records of slaves. They had no real last names, most only a first name that was given them at birth, and on the census were listed as nameless slaves by age and gender.

I guess I feel a day of remembrance would be a positive step of respect to the millions of slaves that had no power even to demand a name.  In a country that saw them as having no rights whatsoever.

I see the holiday as a positive step forward. I feel it offers a day set aside to offer remembrance and respect to those that were lucky enough to have lived to tell the story., and pass it down to generations.   I don't feel we are responsible for slavery, but we can face that it was a very sad part of our history. Could a Holiday such as Juneteenth not remind us that our history shows we as a people did participate in enslaving
              human beings, and also as a nation came to see the sin of slavery and fought to end slavery.

I was broadsided and did not expect this sort of response from you. Why can't more of the people on your side be as honest and forthright?

If cut will I not bleed ... LOL   

I think due to spending so many years at a large hospital I met and cared for so many people, young, old, and in-between. I don't think anyone could be called the same.  I came to appreciate the uniqueness of individuals.  It's hard for me to understand the rigidness we take on when it comes to politics.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

If such a holiday will help them help themselves, then the holiday is
                is worthwhile. It will help them understand their present condition relative to the past. It will help to increase self-awareness and encourage self-appreciation.

I have always thought that their ancestors should be acknowledged for the strength and ability to endure what they did.

Thank you, sharlee, for pressing on in regards to embracing this federal holiday.

I will admit at first I sort of just passed the report of Juneteenth by. But, I got to really thinking about it. What it might mean to many. Thank you for posting the thread.

This one is Credence 2's
                    smile

6. Sharlee01 profile image81

Will Juneteenth be celebrated in this tradition yearly. Crowd twerks on an ambulance as EMTs respond to a fatal shooting at Juneteenth event.

First responders with Falck Alameda County Emergency Medical Services were responding to a Saturday evening shooting during a Juneteenth event at Oakland’s Lake Merritt, where one person was killed and seven others were wounded, officials have said. Video shared on Twitter by user @Anthea06274890 shows EMTs loading a gurney out of the ambulance as a crowd gathers and begins to twerk against the vehicle.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … oting.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxnlGxpEKT4

I really felt this holiday would be a good thing and a holiday that would spread goodwill and remembrance. It more appears it a holiday that promoted rioting, violence. In no way do I say this lightly --- But this kind of activity could stand to confirm the stereotype that Blacks are lawless, and care little about killing their own. This display was disgusting, and one man lost his life.

Oakland has always been a relatively high crime area. Nothing new there, so, why associate that with the revelers for Juneteenth?

When I think of how those "patriots" of January 6th smeared feces throughout the Capitol building,  it makes me realize that stupidity knows no particular color, ethnic group or creed.

Criminals are criminals, don't make the unfair association of that with just being black people.

I am not making a comparison that was actually that was you with your statement ---"  it makes me realize that stupidity knows no particular color, ethnic group or creed."

Read my comment more carefully. I was pointing out an incident that occurred at a gathering that was to celebrate a holiday. It does not matter if it occurred at an Easter Parade. I then gave a description of the incident, I did not mention race in any respect.

I went on to give my view where I said " But this kind of activity COULD stand to confirm the stereotype that Blacks are lawless, and care little about killing their own."   In the past, as today our society does stereotype people, and one such oversimplified image of blacks is that Blacks do not care about black-on-black crime.   I am very sure and hope that not all white people don't hold that belief.  But, there is a segment that does...  That is simply what I shared.

I will say lately we are lucky if a day goes by where our media is not reporting some horrific black-on-black crime. So, stereotyping gains credence.

It was difficult to sort out to subject of race from the general nature of your comment.

Insane things happen, Sharlee, period. They can occur by anyone, anywhere.

We have stereotypes regarding "white folks" and the nature of this society in general, are we to accommodate these biases into our thinking? The biases and stereotypes the whites hold are understandible, but the ones we have are unreasonable? Yeah, sure.

All these stereotypes is just another symptom as to why we don't get along as well as we can.

I don't think I was saying white stereotypes are understandable, and that black stereotyping of whites is unreasonable. But I see your point, it is prevalent in today's society.    Perhaps I chose the wrong words? I was pointing out that the behavior of some at the celebration supported some stereotypes of Black not having a problem with Black on black crime.  I was disappointed at how Juneteenth was being celebrated with a riot and a man being shot and many injured. 

I agree that stereotyping is a big part of why we have a hard time getting along. Bias thinking is caustic.

Well, we have to say that the "celebrations" in Oakland that day, is not uncharacteristic of many celebrations that can get out of hand for any number of reasons.

I agree...

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

Yes, will this day off 
    1. Lower crime rates?
    2. Increase love and acceptance?
    3. Promote non-racist dialogue?
    4. Eliminate issues born from racism?
    5. Ensure a brighter future for everyone?
    6. Provide an overall positive outcome for those who celebrate it?
    7. Provide an overall positive outcome for victims of racial injustice?
    (Thanks, Kyler J Falk smile)

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

You are a victim?
    How so? Maybe its just your imagination!
    If many blacks feel that they are victims, perhaps this is merely a common delusion!
    Maybe if they stop imagining they are victims, they could move forward on their own two feet.

...  as so many blacks have done ever since the first day they were free.

Accept the freedom! It's yours for the taking!
    I say.

Just like you rightwinged oriented whites, gun nuts and militarists, some candidates and philosophies are more in line with our interests than others.

My "imagination" has been pretty spot on over my lifetime.

- you mean your sub-truth.
        What is your subjective truth?

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

if you are a black, focus on the education of your people. Early education and strong family structure is the foundation of your success.
    No excuses.

We need to work on that as well, but the things I speak of need be part of mutual exclusive, one verses the other. We work on ALL aspects.

- what are the things you speak of
        s p e c i  f  i c a l l y ,  and realistically and truthfully?

Voting rights reform, and I already told you about these and infrastructure reform as just an example.

what "infrastructure reform" would you like to see?

Inexpensive education availability, why not get people off from the welfare rolls into tax paying jobs?

Investing in people rather than things to prepare people for the jobs of the future. You can bet that China as an adversary is grooming their people for what's next.

interesting. I would like proof China is focused on STEM and that the people are being educated for jobs of the future. Maybe the elite ones ...

Also, if they're not educating themselves or given the opportunity to educate themselves, what does it matter?

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

is education so hard to get for blacks?

News flash:
      Its hard for anyone to get a good education these days.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

"Investing in people rather than things to prepare people for the jobs of the future. You can bet that China as an adversary is grooming their people for what's next."

... you mean work camps?

China has more STEM graduates than Europe or the United States, you really believe that they are being trained in work camps?

1. Ken Burgess profile image77
        Ken Burgessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes indeed.  They are producing 8 times the amount of grads that America does.

And thanks for bringing Juneteenth up, I thought it strange that a particular company was taking the day off, now I know why.

p r o d u c i n g  grads?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)