How can I have a better run?

1. charmike4 profile image72
    charmike4posted 6 years ago

How can I have a better run?

I went out on an extend run today but my legs felt like concrete, so I just lacked the normal rhythm or groove that I get into.  Once I hit a 700m steep climb I sort of blew up and only made it at a slow trot to a water stop and had to walk for a couple of blocks before taking a slow run home. In total I covered 6kms, but not the best run I have ever had.

The weather today is a bit hotter than normal, around 34C (93F) with no wind & no cloud cover so this might have contributed.

Do any of you have some tips to help me have a better run next time - especially so that I don't blow up!

2. ar.colton profile image82
    ar.coltonposted 6 years ago

Well, first of all, don't push yourself too hard. Your body can only do so much and over-stressing it isn't going to make it work any better.

I would suggest walking for a few blocks before you start running to slowly warm your body up. You can even hyper-ventilate before your run as it forces plenty of oxygen into your muscles, causing them to work more efficiently.

3. charmike4 profile image72
    charmike4posted 6 years ago

Thanks ar.colton, great advice.  Yesterday my legs were still feeling very tired so I went on a 1.5km family walk, then I did a 3 kms run and felt much better.