jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is your favorite backpacking stove, and why?

1. Triimarc profile image61
    Triimarcposted 6 years ago

What is your favorite backpacking stove, and why?

I am interested in durability, longevity, ease of use, lightweight, and if using multiple fuel types is desirable

2. Adventure Colorad profile image82
    Adventure Coloradposted 6 years ago

The stove that I am currently using and would recommend is the MSR Dragonfly.  It is a multi-fuel stove that can handle kerosene, unleaded gasoline, white gas, etc.  I have used it with both white gas and regular unleaded gasoline with good results.

The Dragonfly is highly adjustable and allows you to use a small simmer type flame, all the way up to a high, fast boiling flame.  It has a large base, which helps keep larger pots on while cooking. 

I have written more about it in one of my hubs, if you look at the related hubs to the right it is the one titled "What to look for in a backpacking stove."

I've been using the same Dragonfly for probably ten years and it has worked great, though you may have to replace some of the smaller o-rings and parts if you use it a lot.

3. Outbound Dan profile image99
    Outbound Danposted 6 years ago

What is the best backpacking stove for your next wilderness adventure?  This article covers the advantages and disadvantages of the most popular types of camping stoves. read more

4. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

I have an MSR, but the one I find myself carrying most often is the Sierra stove (once called the Sierra Zip Ztove, I think). It burns twigs, pine cones and the like with a battery-powered draft. Not having to carry fuel is something I find to be a noticeable benefit in my hiking areas.

5. Pintoman profile image58
    Pintomanposted 6 years ago

I like propane. yeah, it's kinda bulky, but it always works, fast, hot, and adjustable flame. Fire is my favorite though, only requires a match. I had a super light something years ago. Never again, waste of money.

6. marshacanada profile image76
    marshacanadaposted 6 years ago

I have used my MSR muilti fuel stove world wide for over 20 years. It requires carrying fuel bottles.It is finicky and needs cleaning occasionally, but it works in rain sleet ,wind, high altitude, temperatures below freezing etc.
    Last summer in the Rockies we took an ultra light propane stove made in New Zealand. The on off valve broke and 3 days out we had to make a cooking fire in the pouring rain. Luckily my partner was skilled in such esoteric abilities.

working